what are you using for personal defense ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had Federal Hydra Shok 135gr +p in my G19C for the past few years.

While flipping through some gun mags the other day, I see a lot of new personal defense ammo on the market now.

What are you guys using now for personal defense ammo in you conceal carry and home defense handguns.

Thanks!

My CZ 82 has HP 9x18 in the magazine. My P-64 jams with HP so it has FMJ 9x18 in it.

The HP 9x18 is specifically produced for the US personal defense market as hollow point is illegal anywhere else. The FMJ 9x18 is a standard ammunition used in the police force in the former Eastern Block countries.

Standard load is Federal Hydra shok 147gr in my G19.

Have some Black Talons as well. I wanted to like the Corbon, but they are a bit stubby IMO. Concerned with possible feeding issues.

I keep an old Winchester .410 single shot break action under my bed. I have a box of Federal #6 shot 2.5 inch shells under there too. Not a whole bunch of stopping power but it's better than nothing.

Winchester super X 45ACP 185gr silvertip HP. Despite looking like a non jacketed bullet they do have a thin aluminum jacket. I've fired some into clay and they don't mushroom so much as they more or less flatten. I've measured a couple that have expanded to slightly over one inch.

AX45ASHP2.JPG

Duty ammo = Federal BP9 which is a +P+ LEO only round.

Off duty = often it's CorBon 135gr 10mm, screeming along at 1400 FPS! Big and Fast, just the way I like it.

Buy a couple boxes of Premium Defence ammo made by any maker. Test it throughly to make sure it works in your firearm.
Then use that.

The technology that goes into ammo today is superior as to what it was 10 years ago. Even those Black Talons have been surpassed by alot of the bullets made today.

What I have here is:
125gr Speer Gold Dot out of a 6" skinny barrel Ruger Security Six
#4 buckshot out of a Benelli with ghost ring sights with 00 buck on the side saddle.
#4 buckshot is much under rated. 27 pellets in a 2 3/4" shell and the give good penetration at across-the-house distances.

Argueably(sp) the best Self Defense rounds currently out are Federal's HST (NOT hydrashok), and Gold Dots. Remember to be deemed effective by the FBI you need at leas 12" of penetration in ballastic's gel testing. That translates into going through walls. Don't fall into the hype of Extreme Shock ammo, as it's expensive, and DOES NOT perform.

cart2.jpg

Left to Right:
9MM 124gr Gold Dot loaded to book specs: Carry gun

38spl 129gr Federal Hydra Shok: Wifes carry, have not worked up a hand load that will shoot as good as this in her gun yet.

357mag 158gr Zero JHP loaded to book specs: other carry gun/Home Defense

454 Casull 360gr Cast Performance WLNGC loaded 7% beyond book specs: This is used in my carry gun when I visit my brother in Montana, he lives in grizzly country.

12GA 00 Buck : Home defense

Note: I load my Conceal Carry rounds to easily replicable loading manual specs to avoid any possible legal hurdles.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

Note: I load my Conceal Carry rounds to easily replicable loading manual specs to avoid any possible legal hurdles.

I have heard about that issue. I was worried about issues with me useing Black Talons. I was talking to a good neighbor who is a detective. He told me as long as you never talk about "killing" the baddie. If you had to use your firearm you were "stopping" someone from hurting you. If he dies, thats just a side effect of "stopping" him.

Very nice setup!!

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
cart2.jpg

Left to Right:
9MM 124gr Gold Dot loaded to book specs: Carry gun

38spl 129gr Federal Hydra Shok: Wifes carry, have not worked up a hand load that will shoot as good as this in her gun yet.

357mag 158gr Zero JHP loaded to book specs: other carry gun/Home Defense

454 Casull 360gr Cast Performance WLNGC loaded 7% beyond book specs: This is used in my carry gun when I visit my brother in Montana, he lives in grizzly country.

12GA 00 Buck : Home defense

Nice setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back