What are you trying to accomplish with...

I add a fuel injector additive once an oil change because the Hyundai owners manual says to if you don't use top tier fuel. I also add fuel injector cleaner to the Audi every 5K. Regane comes to mind.

Just # 2, unless I have to get rid of a little leftover clean new oil so I have a empty jug for something, or any cooking oil from the kitchen that starts to smell a little rancid. Cooking oil lasts about 6 months from the time you open the bottle. Thats for the 7.3L

I do add Power Service Clear Diesel, Petrol Fresh, Fuel and tank cleaner in the GM 6.6L because it only burns 2 tanks of fuel per year. I do add some once a year just because to the Ford. The Ford does sit all winter long.

Algae is the main concern, if you want some lubricity find some Bio Diesel and ad a gallon of that to a tank of fuel. A Water separator mounted close to the fuel tank would be a nice addition for protection, and a 2 micron Cat filter if you are concerned about your injectors. I run that Class 8 truck set up on both of my trucks with a lift pump in between the water separator, and the 2 micron Cat filter. "This is for Diesel only"

Gasoline, nothing, but I believe the consciences is Chevron Techron.

I use Liquimoy DI and regular Jectron in all 3 of my VWs each oil change. I use Ceratec in all 3 of my VWs. I have used MoS2 as well. What am I trying to accomplish behind lining the pockets of evil/greedy Liquimoly corporate execs? Friction reduction in the VWs. The Jectron is obvious - just good measure for your fuel system. I use Techron in my Ford and Lexus for the same purpose. I like the LM stuff b/c I just get it at the same time as my oil change kits from FCP Euro, otherwise I'd use Techron all the way around.

I own mostly high mileage vehicles and I'd like to extend their life as long as possible. I also firmly believe that no off-the-shelf oil is formulated with the absolute best additives for $15-25 per bottle. So why not?? It isn't like they will hurt anything!

What I think is funny is the majority on this board truly believe a $22 bottle of M1 off the shelf at walmart is fully formulated with the best of the best and needs nothing. There are many junk additives (snake oils) and there are many that are very good and do work. Myself as well as many others have personally seen, felt and heard improvements when using certain additives in both oil and fuel.

I own mostly high mileage vehicles and I'd like to extend their life as long as possible. I also firmly believe that no off-the-shelf oil is formulated with the absolute best additives for $15-25 per bottle. So why not?? It isn't like they will hurt anything!

What I think is funny is the majority on this board truly believe a $22 bottle of M1 off the shelf at walmart is fully formulated with the best of the best and needs nothing. There are many junk additives (snake oils) and there are many that are very good and do work. Myself as well as many others have personally seen, felt and heard improvements when using certain additives in both oil and fuel.
I don't get it either - it's simply a choice if you think/want more of XYZ beyond what the oil gives you. People have different uses for their cars and variable driving conditions/habits - what's wrong with someone wanting to add something extra for that use?

I realize the beef the regulars in these threads have is that there is no definitive testing that proves these do XYZ or increase longevity and that if these things were so great the oils would come with them so in their minds, you are wasting that $X. I also agree that many of the things sold in that aisle at the auto parts store likely do little.

What am I trying to accomplish running LM MoS2 and Motor Oil Saver in my VW Passat W8 wagon? Keeping the chains and seals in this 18 yo engine as good as possible to prevent yanking the engine. Does it work? No clue. WIll it hurt it. Of course not. I'm out $27 on this 9qt beast for those additives this change and next with just MoS2 will be $13. It's just not that much money to me and basically a "why not?".

20210602_185647.jpg
Capture.JPG

Have a 2009 Pontiac G5 beater/commuter that has developed timing chain/tensioner rattle on startup more and more often.
I got the car for ‘free’, so I am not going to spend big $$$ to do the chain. I am going to try additives on short OCI’s to see if one will quiet it.

Seafoamed a pinging Ford Vulcan 3.0, no improvement.
Risloned same engine for burning oil, no improvement.
K-Sealed same engine for a small timing cover coolant leak. Holding so far with about 4,000 miles on it.
MMO'd a Triton 5.4 I bought with 157k miles on it just because.
Techron in various vehicles for preventative maintenance and to keep injectors and intake valves clean. I've seen the drastic difference top tier gas can make versus crappy stuff, but I honestly don't know if Techron works.

I run synthetic oil all the time and I know my engines are clean inside. I don't use oil additives *except* once in a while I will add 1/2 quart of MM oil. Not 100% sure why I do this, maybe because I have it lying around for other uses, and I've had good experience with it. Years ago, I pulled the cylinder head off my 1965 Mustang 6-cylinder, I'd been adding MM oil to the crankcase for years, it had 120k ODO miles at the time and you could still see the cross hatch honing marks in the cylinders, everything looked absolutely perfect aside from a little carbon on the piston crowns and combustion chamber. The cross hatch marks may or may not have been visible even without the use of MM oil, who knows... but that car ran awesome. Flame suit on.

I use Seafoam to keep the intake valves and crankcase clean, even with religious oil changes I noticed some varnish building up looking in the oil fill hole. Does it matter? Maybe not but seafoam will remove it over time and is very unlikely to cause issues, especially considering it's added to oil that is already 2-3 grades thicker than spec. Intake valves, well, it's a GDI no need to explain why they need cleaning.

I also use LM Mos2 for added friction reducing benefits. I use it for the same reason I use a 40 grade, extra margin of protection especially with the amount of WOT pulls I do.

Back