What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Recently read "Born a crime" by Trevor Noah. He had quite a colorful childhood.

Good read. Started Ron Chernow's Grant biography, but it's over a thousand pages and the library locked my ebook. Back in line.

Last edited:
Educated by Tara Westover. A wonderful story of what education is. Hint: it ain't about what you might think.

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup by John Carreyrou. The Theranos (Palo Alto, CA) story. Right up the road.

Originally Posted by csandste
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Recently read "Born a crime" by Trevor Noah. He had quite a colorful childhood.

Good read. Started Ron Chernow's Grant biography, but it's over a thousand pages and the library locked my ebook. Back in line.

That's a good book. It will give you a lot of insight to Lee also. If you are using a Kindle, turn off the wifi when you get a large sized book. It can't take it back with your wifi off. The book also will give you the reason the war ended.

"Horse Soldiers" by Doug Stanton, the account of a team of special operators sent to Afghanistan to begin to organize the Afghan army.
Those were some brave guys.

17 Traditions by Ralph Nader. 17 things he recalls that he and his family would do that eventually resulted in his writing of the groundbreaking "Unsafe at Any Speed" where he points out American car companies' failure to spend money on developing safer cars and reluctance to embrace seatbelts.

Quite a read.

I'm on a Michael Connelly kick - I'm reading The Late Show right now, and am really enjoying it.

A few days ago I read Could You Ever Love Me Again, '70's Canadian pop singer Gary Weeks's autobiography. (He was half of Gary and Dave, but also flew regional airliners, and was later a missionary in Ireland.) It was a good read.

Right before that was Blacklight Blue by Peter May (OK, but not sure I'd seek out any other Enzo Mcleod mysteries), The Wrong Side of Goodbye (the first Harry Bosch novel, also by MIchael Connelly, very good), and a couple of weeks ago I read Wilbur Smith's latest, King of Kings (pretty good, but not his best).

I've also, in the last few days, finished reading the Old Testament in its entirety. It was a 16-month slog, but I'm glad I finally did it.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by JLTD
The Wheel of Time, Robert Jordan. Epic.
I read the series a few years ago and it was fun reading.
I read the first one about 15 years ago and found it epic and pretty good, but not great enough to inspire me to read the rest of the series.

Originally Posted by gman2304
" The second world wars" by Victor Davis Hanson. "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance.
Hillbilly Elegy is on my hit list. Sounds excellent.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Inspecktor
"The Gathering Storm" , Winston Churchill. First part of his history of WW2.
That's great!

I just bought a first edition of the whole set while in London. At Hatchard's in Piccadilly*.

An early Mother's Day present for Mrs. Astro.

What a coincidence. Let me know what you think.
cheers3.gif

*We've been there many times. A favorite spot when in London.

https://londonist.com/london/shopping/inside-london-s-oldest-bookshop
I have volumes of unread Churchill books in the basement. Thanks for the kick, I'll start with The Gathering Storm.

Originally Posted by Number_35
" The second world wars" by Victor Davis Hanson. "Hillbilly Elegy" by J.D. Vance.

Smarsh's book, full title Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth, is a good complement to Hillbilly Elegy. She looks at class by tracing the stories of the women in her family tree. I recognized the people more because I grew up on the Great Plains a few years before the author, and also found the writing itself to be more engaging.

Originally Posted by Rhymingmechanic
Originally Posted by Number_35
Smarsh's book, full title Heartland: A Memoir of Working Hard and Being Broke in the Richest Country on Earth, is a good complement to Hillbilly Elegy. She looks at class by tracing the stories of the women in her family tree. I recognized the people more because I grew up on the Great Plains a few years before the author, and also found the writing itself to be more engaging.
Just finished Hillbilly Elegy. I thought it was an excellent read - highly recommended.

Pass Of Fire, Taylor Anderson's latest Destroyermen book. Spectacular!

And you have to love a giant rifle called the Doom Whomper.

Right now are The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, The Pleasure of Finding Things Out (A Collection of Richard Feynman) and for the last 20 years or so I have been muddling my way through Finnegan's Wake... I am not entirely sure what page I am on; nor what the bujeepers is going on, though.

Of Mice and Men, then In Dubious Battle by Steinbeck.

I am fascinated by the Depression Era. I read the Steinbeck depression stories in high school, but the material didn't really register until I studied Economics later on and my interest on the era grew. I then relocated to Silicon Valley, which is where many of his novels were set, and renewed my interest in him. That was a decade or so ago and I am now re reading them. Steinbeck is a keen observer and chronicler of our human behavior.

The early 90's Of Mice and Men movie is a good way to spend 2 hours, very depressing though.

"The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins. A universe without design. A little hard to follow of some of the discussions about DNA. And the admission that science still doesn't have an explanation about how life got started. But it did because rational beings inhabit this planet and ponder their origin. Thank you Mr. Dawkins and thank you Mr. Darwin.

Books read lately ...

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin. Very clever SF, containing some mind-bending stuff. Jr tells me that the 2nd one is even better but that the 3rd one's a bit of a dud. Shannow, you particularly might like this one.

The Reckoning by John Grisham. Great read right up to the last few pages where he runs out of gas and gives it a very weak ending. Very disappointing, although fairly typical of the author.

The Brethren, also by John Grisham. This is one of his older ones. It's quite good, although again the ending is a bit of a let-down. Overall a good read though.

Dead Zero by Stephen Hunter. Brilliant, like most of his books. A great read, even for the 3rd time.

Presently working on Darkest Hour by Anthony McCarten. Very good stuff. There's one glaring historical error so far though - Churchill's flight to France shortly before the fall of France is accompanied by "two Hurricane fighter jets". This sort of sloppy error makes me question everything else in the book. That aside, this is a very good read.

Just reread Make Me, a Jack Reacher novel, followed by Run to the Morning, a Jack Higgins novel, and just started a Sean Dillion one. I've liked the Jack Higgins novels I've read, Lee Child is good, might have to reread the Bourne series at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back