What are you gonna do with all those SL oil when the new oil come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:

quote:

what's the "official" reason for the SM spec change?

THAT's a good question.

The official reason is NOT that clear.

Oh, yes it is - to drive independent oil formulators from the market...
smile.gif
(It's probably more a side benefit than the game plan.) Still, if it continues the movement away from Group I base lube stocks from finished motor oil formulations in the U.S., cynicism on the part of auto manufacturers notwithstanding, it can't be all bad.

[ June 11, 2004, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

quote:

Originally posted by HolesInTheHead:
I only have four cases now and I'm using them at the rate of case and a half per year, so these will last about the next two years. But I see some of you guys have much, much more.
------
I just gave away about 32 quarts of SJ
and 8-9 quarts of SL (leaking bottles)
and bought 168 quarts of the now SL oil
because of the situation with the new SM
oil. I have a only about 16-20 quarts of SJ oil
needing to get rid of... So, I'll be stocked-up for a little while.

When the new (Is it SM and when?) oil come out what would be the most efficent use of the older oil?
----
IMO (for right now)stock it. It's a very sweet oil.

*-*-*-*snip

Robbie, Is that a typo? 14 cases? How many cars?

Questions for the group, Would the SL oil still be good for new cars designed for SM oil? And how would you work around the warranty requirement?

quote:

Originally posted by HolesInTheHead:
Robbie, Is that a typo? 14 cases? How many cars?

Questions for the group, Would the SL oil still be good for new cars designed for SM oil? And how would you work around the warranty requirement?

Yup... give or take a dozen quarts or so. They are mixed, some quarts, some buckets and some gallons. I wanted to stock up on the good SL oils... and I dumped almost all my SJ because I had no place to put the oil and because my new truck takes SL whereas my older truck with 420,000 miles takes the SJ. So there you have it, Two trucks (one probably to sell) and
enough oil for many miles on the 2004.
Yes, that was 420K on mainly 30w (straight) SJ oil for most if its life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back