What are you gonna do with all those SL oil when the new oil come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only have four cases now and I'm using them at the rate of case and a half per year, so these will last about the next two years. But I see some of you guys have much, much more.

When the new (Is it SM and when?) oil come out what would be the most efficent use of the older oil?

Bit off the tanget, my local Kmart still has some SF Mobil 1 for $5.10/qt.
dunno.gif

Some of us will still be using the SL because we think that it was a better additive package, I am one of those. The SL's have a better ZDDP package that the newer oils.

Ugh...in some ways SL MAY be a better oil...and some "S&M" oils may still be in experimental stage (just a wildjackass theory). I can argue that the add pack of SL is beefier and th base oil if S&M had better be better....

You can be confident that your cache of SL will serve you fine for some years to come.

SF?? ***?, over.

Wow, I can't imagine how much oil I'd need for a two year supply. I just try and keep a partial case of oil for the beater and a 5quart jug for my wifes car.

Like Pablo said, you don't really know if their going to be better or not. For the vehicles we own now, SL will still be find either way.

-T

Good point. My car and truck have made do with SL for a long time. I think they will make it to next year without any SM if the stuff I stocked up on at Pep Boys' lasts that long.

Hope the high mileage oils stay SL. If not, the motorhome at least may need a diet of dual rated gasoline/diesel oil for robustness. Maybe a 50/50 mix of diesel and SM. Should I stock up on SL for now?

There might be decent sales/rebates on current SL stock when SM is near. I wouldn't stock up yet.

i have 4 cases of sl oil. although i would not mind using sm oil, i will use up my 4 cases, i got them at a good deal and i am a cheap guy so i am fine with it
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:
There might be decent sales/rebates on current SL stock when SM is near. I wouldn't stock up yet.

I doubt it. People don't even rotate their stock so I'm sure some places will be putting SM oil out infront of a few bottles of SF if they've kept the same setup long enough.

quote:

Originally posted by eljefino:

Something tells me that when the SMs come in, that Bottle of SF M1 will still be at K-mart.
wink.gif

-T

My '91 Accord has 430k using a whole range of oil types. I suspect good OC habits are the key. SL vs SM makes only the smallest of differences. On the other, it seems like the oil hobbist would be more inclined to eBay out their entire stock of SL, so the SM can be rigorously tested in their vehicle ASAP. No?

quote:

Originally posted by mountainhouse:
My '91 Accord has 430k using a whole range of oil types. I suspect good OC habits are the key. SL vs SM makes only the smallest of differences. On the other, it seems like the oil hobbist would be more inclined to eBay out their entire stock of SL, so the SM can be rigorously tested in their vehicle ASAP. No?

No - some here (including myself perhaps) will be suspicious of the new SM oils until we see some UOAs.

quote:

Originally posted by pmt:
No - some here (including myself perhaps) will be suspicious of the new SM oils until we see some UOAs.

But, then which "true hobbist" will potentially sacrafice their crankcase for the good of all? ;-)

Seriously, have there been any previous single grade changes (for example: API SL to SM) that led to serious engine issues. That is, how much risk is there to being the first kid on the block using SM (hey, I'm referring to oil here ;-) ). - Gee, I hadn't considered that this upcoming grade designation could lead to all kinds of interesting puns :))))

[ June 09, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: mountainhouse ]

Fortunately, the auto manufacturers are not going to change the oil recommendation in your owner's manual from SL to SM.

If SL works in your car today, it will work in your car just as well in two years.

I can see it coming at some point in this thread: "Yeah, but how long before all my "SL" stock rots?!?!?"

I bought the local Target's entire stock of Chevron Supreme and (Chevron Texaco) Havoline (both "SL") out when it was on clearence for 68 cents/qt. I have years' worth of the stuff on hand sitting in the garage, and I can assure everyone reading this post (both of you) that it will all get used at my normal OCI of 3,000 miles.

I will simply continue to use any SL oil on hand when the new SM stuff comes out.

This isn't like a digital camera where the 2 megapixel camera of three years ago seems completely inadequate for making 11x14 prints today when 8 megapixel models are readily available.

Let us hope that motor oil never gets on the same path as electronics seem to!

Joh

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:
Let us hope that motor oil never gets on the same path as electronics seem to!

Joh

I'm a bit surprised that the oil companies haven't started putting freshness dates on oil. I suspect they could rationalize that in some way, and that most consumers would buy into it.

[ June 09, 2004, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: mountainhouse ]

quote:

what's the "official" reason for the SM spec change?

THAT's a good question.

The official reason is NOT that clear. It started as a need seen to make a stronger base oil car motor oil. A PETROLEUM motor oil that will withstand newer car conditions and longer OCI's.

This is tough on Grp I base oils....so lots of wrangling.

Then GM and some others - BS politics, really wanting to lower P from 1000ppm to 800ppm and lend even further weaka$$ credence that somehow 1000 and now 800 ppm is a magic number to keep cats from auto destruction. To be honest (and API is NOT being honest) this is where you lose me.

Lube Report has good scoops

Generally, API includes the latest ILSAC oil spec in the API Service category. ILSAC GF-4 is coming very soon for the five lightest viscosity grades..0W, 5W, 10W...20 & 30. API SM will also include the grades not governed by ILSAC.

"Developed by representatives of the automotive, oil and chemical additive industries, GF-4 provides better protection for air pollution control systems and improves fuel economy and high temperature performance. The International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) adopted the standard early this year and API plans to license oils meeting it beginning July 31."
http://www.lubereport.com/e_article000263798.cfm

Although ILSAC GF-4 has a lower phosphorus limit of 0.08%, it is subject to tougher engine testing than older oils, and should offer even better engine protection. Viscosity grades outside ILSAC GF-4 do not have these same phosphorus limits.
www.ilma.org/resources/ilsac_finalstd011404.pdf

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back