What are you getting your significant other for Christmas?

I know some of you guys are married and don't exchange gifts with your wife. The first excuse such people say is "we buy our own stuff when we need it".

What I do know is that the wife tends to follow her husbands wishes. And I'm betting you guys that don't exchange gifts brought it up with your wife first, not her. Deep down she wants a gift. Know her size and get her something cute. Show her that you think she is beautiful.
More than a little presumptive, and just a bit sexist.

Good job. 👍

Sweet! I've seen their facilities and it's top notch. I wish my wife was in interested in this sort of thing. Nope. Her track is I-285. :LOL:

I don't know how well she will take it, she's not that much of a screamin' eagle behind the wheel. She has always wanted a Porsche sports car. Ironically, her father owned a Porsche dealership (along with several Benz stores) in the northeast up until mid-2007. Every time she says something about wanting one, I tell her she should have had her dad take care of that before he sold out.

He has said several times in the past "don't you want a GL? I can help you get one at a good price.?" To wit I respond - "I don't want one. I don't want to maintain a Benz. Heck, you don't even keep them 3 years. What's that say?"

I know some of you guys are married and don't exchange gifts with your wife. The first excuse such people say is "we buy our own stuff when we need it".

What I do know is that the wife tends to follow her husbands wishes. And I'm betting you guys that don't exchange gifts brought it up with your wife first, not her. Deep down she wants a gift. Know her size and get her something cute. Show her that you think she is beautiful.
You are right.

All the men running around thinking their wife is ok with no gift need to rethink that. They might say they don't need anything but I don't know of a woman that doesn't want a gift every now and then. It's an emotional, psychological thing for them. It tells them someone is thinking about them....they are ingrained to desire this. It's ok....it's perfectly ok, really, it is, for men and women to be different, no matter what the news says.

It has taken a while, but I pride myself in coming up with surprises for my wife. I have acquired a knack for coming up with unique stuff, things or methods to give it to her. I try not to stress over it, because when I do, I can't come up with anything. But if I just kinda put it in the back of my head, something will pop up in my mind.

Last year I went to the jewelry store to talk to them about upgrading her diamond. I had most of it all worked out, this is a family run place, not some stupid retail box. I told the owner's wife when I'd be back with her and let her pick out the one she wanted. Well, this store is in a shopping center with......Harbor Freight. So when the wife got home one evening, I told her to jump in the truck, I wanted to go look at something at HF before they closed. I parked between them, we got out and she started walking towards HF. I said hang on, let's go in here for a minute.... :)

I am sure many of you feel this way..... I can never buy her something that equals the love I have for her.

But, I did splurge significantly this year, buying her a purse she would never buy for herself.

Besides stocking stuffers, I have already told her it will be a "One Gift Christmas" this year for her..... don't expect two or three wrapped packages.

I'm giving her a comfortable pair of shoes, a weird hairbrush / hair dryer combo thingie, a hooded raincoat, and a few other knick-knacks she's asked for over the past few months. Her birthday comes pretty soon after Christmas, so I have to pace myself ;)

I asked for a G&L S-500, a Sire L7 or H7, or if she's feeling generous a Gibson Firebird - but I think I'm getting comfortable shoes, as well. 👟👟

We've reached the point where we just buy stuff and give it to one another to wrap :)

The stocking is where the fun is. Some practical items such as tooth paste, tooth brush heads, little bottles of liquor and such. And some fun things too.

No need to spend a ton to think of one another.

I did get her a piece of glass at the Space Needle last month after she fawned over it. We took the tour of the Chihuly Garden and Glass next door and saw their demonstration. Got a piece made by the artists who do the demos there.

I'm sure she's forgotten about it, so it will be a nice surprise on Christmas day.

She also collects the Hallmark Christmas snowmen, so I have one of those as well to go under the tree.

I'm pretty sure I'm getting some new Rockport shoes and a new coffee grinder I picked out.

Gifts are nothing more than superficial crap. I've been married for almost 39 years. That's close to 4 decades of me, "thinking she's special". If she wasn't I'd be gone. If I wasn't, she would be gone. Just like over half the marriages are in this country before they make 7 years.

Me buying her a bunch of crap isn't going to improve those odds. My wife is one of the least materialistic people I've ever known. I like that, and I don't ever want that to change. Or attempt to by buying her trinkets and junk.

I've got guns I don't shoot, and tools I don't use. She's got clothes and shoes she doesn't wear. You reach a point where enough is enough. Adding more crap by being "thoughtful", can take the whole thing over the top. Then you have a garage sale, and watch all of your "thoughtful crap" become someone else's crap...... For 5 cents on the dollar.

The stocking is where the fun is. !!!!!!!!

You nailed it here. I spend about 500% more time shopping and hunting fun Stocking Stuffers than I do the primary gift(s). .... And it is always fun, slightly practical stuff.

And not a NOOB to marriage.... this coming June will be 34 years for the wife and I. I work my ass off to keep a ton of spice, romance and fun in our relationship.... we are more in love, lust and desperately crave each other than any time in our lives. A Christmas gift doesn't buy that, but it does send the message that I care and I was thoughtful. Of course the wife and I grew up with parents that made Christmas a very big deal and we are continuing that tradition.

She told me not to get her anything this year, because I bought her a phone and a car for her birthday.

Well, she’s getting a top of the line Gore-Tex jacket (called Hornstrandir) from 66North (an Icelandic clothing company that makes great gear. Better than most of the North Face line) along with a 66North fleece and base layer, so she’ll be warm when we go skiing this spring. Yes. I know her size.

There‘s also some handmade pewter Christmas ornaments from a small shop in Vermont.

She does an amazing job with decorating the tree.

She told me not to get her anything this year, because I bought her a phone and a car for her birthday.

Well, she’s getting a top of the line Gore-Tex jacket (called Hornstrandir) from 66North (an Icelandic clothing company that makes great gear. Better than most of the North Face line) along with a 66North fleece and base layer, so she’ll be warm when we go skiing this spring. Yes. I know her size.

There‘s also some handmade pewter Christmas ornaments from a small shop in Vermont.

She does an amazing job with decorating the tree.

Good choice for your wife, she will like it.

I got my wife the

Drangajökull​

last year and she loves it. Very good quality and warm.

Last edited:
66North is a small company, not well known in the US, but I got my youngest daughter some of their gear a couple years ago. She loved it. She’s a competitive skier (Captain of her college ski team) and knows good gear.

Buying in Iceland saves the VAT (by either applying for the refund, or buying tax free at the airport on the way home) which takes a bit off the price.

Actually , it was my wife's idea . We have six grandchildren of our own and six more that we have " adopted " when her sister and brother in law passed away from Cancer a year apart . My wife is one of the least materialistic people you'll ever meet . She would rather make other people happy .

Six kids. Four grandchildren. All live in different states.

We buy, and ship, a lot of presents.

An upgraded rack (her request) I'm not talking about storage.

Yard equipment - backpack blower and hedge trimmer. She spends hours every week outside and wants high end products that are easier to handle.

Heated jacket.

Beach house is really her goal. Not yet, waiting for a nice recession.

In the meantime we make it more of a fun thing than anything. She is the furthest from an “I deserve” mentality than I can imagine. She always works hard to make a great Christmas, and doesn’t really have anything on her “list”. But that’s what makes it fun. We really do have all we need/could ask for (except the beach house). What can we give each other that we need/want that we think the other will enjoy.

This year my gut says that she would enjoy a propane fire pit like her parents have had for a few years, and to go see some shows in NYC. Lululemon pants always go over well too. Ok. Mission accomplished. I agree stocking stuffers are fun. Probably the best part is taking the kids shopping to find stuff.

Last edited:
A PS5 game shes liked in the past, a carpet spot cleaner, and maybe a GC to the local spa.

I always buy her face masks, balms, lotions and other such things for her stocking. It’s a tradition in my family to give practical stocking stuffers; along with a few treats.

For those of you who think stocking stuffers are fun, what kind of stuff to you put in there?

Back