What are you getting your significant other for Christmas?

I think our trend is to buy house related stuff. For her birthday, I bought her an “otter island” for the pond.

Christmas is going to be a nice desktop. We’ve needed one for a while as her laptop is slowly dying. She’s wanted one for a while. We just never pulled the trigger.

Last year I put bacon flavored lip balm in my 2 sons stockings......they were not amused...

I thought it was pretty funny......
I had a bacon themed birthday this year. Thankfully no lip balm! Some sort of bacon game and more importantly, a heavy chunk of cast iron "bacon press" so as to get those buggers to lie flat and cook properly (it's my job to cook bacon & eggs on Sunday morning).

Same here. We have no children or family, so this idea of buying gifts for each other for Christmas, birthday's, anniversaries, valentines day, etc. is just plain stupid. Instead we buy what we want, when we want. Then we don't waste money on a bunch of stupid crap neither of us wants.

It's the same with getting cards. Those things aren't cheap either. Not to mention the gas wasted driving all over town buying all of that junk. Cards end up in a drawer for a year or so.... Then out to the trash. More money wasted.
Sweetie does watercolors, and I take some of her work and make them into greeting cards using photoshop. I do the same with some of my photographs. We have a local print shop make the final cards and sweetie sends them to friends and family as appropriate. In many instances we'll just email a card ... just depends on the situation and circumstance. Today I made and sent an email birthday card to her twins who turned 61 today, all done on the computer, and nonetheless appreciated.

Regardless of how it's done, sending a card to acknowledge an event, an anniversary, a milestone, is a nice gesture. If you don't want to drive around and waste gas, time, and money, there are numerous choices on the internet that can be used to send a greeting at low or no cost.

33 years and counting and for 25ish of those were with out xmas gifts. We spend money on things to make our life better. Last year new flooring in kitchen and bathroom got a complete make over, new furnace/ac a few years back. Don't need anything this year but you never know, new furnace, water heater.......

Here is the kicker, her birthday is xmas day, I learned along time of ago not to get cloths, jewelry etc.... but fun things like last year I got her a bird bath and installed right outside the window where she watches TV. This year I seen the throw she uses is getting old so I'm getting her a new one, oh and it you guys ever start dating a girl that was born on xmas day never and I mean never combine her b-day and xmas into one present and always use b-day wrapping paper.

We were at Costco and they had snow shoes! A pair for her and a pair for me. One more thing we can do together!

Hope you are able to time it right. The peak has to be sometime soon. I couldn’t afford to buy my own house right now.

It's a double edged sword. My disaster house is actually worth what I owe on it (43k) and this is probably the only time I'll be able to actually sell it! However, everything else is artificially high.

My major concern right now is selling the disaster house.

After 25+ years we get our own gifts and she wraps them. She wanted an air fryer and carpet cleaner. I got a battery impact and a CB radio for my truck. Simple but practical. Sometimes I/we buy her some really nice jewelry from the estate section at our local jewelry store. Kind of depends on our mood and the amount of money we want to spend.

She struggles to buy me gifts. She says what do you get a guy that has everything…? I smile and say YOU! 🤣

Just my $0.02
After 45 years we always say "don't get me anything" and then soon as you know it we each have a little something wrapped for each other under the tree.

I'm wanting to get my gf a pair of full quill ostrich boots. She's been wanting some, but she has to pick them out and try them on of course.

Back