What are these circles out in the desert?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something a little bigger with a lot of power? High powered dune buggy? The biggest one only looks like it's about 120 feet in diameter.

Lets us know what you find.

Ah, I see now. There's only one possible cause for these circles:

50.gif

We get alot of small twisters out here in Phoenix. I have seen several that could easily create circles that large. They usually subside fairly quickly after depositing a few pounds of dirt onto you vehicle as you drive down the highway! And I thought moving from the northwest to AZ was going to mean having a clean ride.
06.gif

Last edited:
Ever see K-PAX? They just didn't have a planetarium handy and needed to demonstrate some stuff.

..but the set of overlapping stuff at about 3 o'clock could be from a lack of using a coaster for the coffee cup or other beverage.

I've seen circles similar to those with a single tipped hole cutter and inadequately clamped sheet metal.

Given that the only bloke that I know with such equipment isn't of the scale of the almighty, I'm guessing "circlework" of terrestrial surface transport based origin.

You haven't has a "B and S Ball" in the vicinity have you ?

We don't have deserts or dry lakes here - but give me a dry lake and an XR750 (and a super size gonad transplant) and I reckon with a bit of practice I could do a 3rd or 4th gear donut like that....

Originally Posted By: Camu Mahubah
XR750? Do tell us more about this beast!
cool.gif

An XR750 is a Harley dirt tracker.

Here's a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVjl37F8UJk

The video doesn't do it justice, you have to have seen them running on a 1 mile dirt oval to understand it. They were poetry in motion on a big oval.

I asked the same question on another forum. It seems that guys that race Rally cars use that lake for practice spinning around and such. Sounds locical to me.

I guess I'm going to have to go out there and see for myself.

How far are you from Lucerne dry lake? We grew up blowing [censored] to pieces there. Propane tanks, 2" dia x 12" pipe bombs, left over ordnance, that sort of thing.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
How far are you from Lucerne dry lake? We grew up blowing [censored] to pieces there. Propane tanks, 2" dia x 12" pipe bombs, left over ordnance, that sort of thing.
Maybe 15 miles as the bomb flies. Figgure 30-40 min by car. I will cross it today when I go out in the desert to the other dry lake to look at circles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back