What are the plastic tanks on a radiator made of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i need to epoxy some metal reinforcement to my radiator neck as they are known to crack on my car. Anyway i can find tons of posts online about all the types of epoxies people use on their radiator tanks. What i could not find was what the tanks are made of. I would like to know what they are made of or if it varies from vehicle brand or manufacturer. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I thought old soda bottles were used in the construction too.

I sure hope so. PET is amazingly pure due to FDA regs and makes some very nice plastic stuff...

Originally Posted By: Chris142
when i take one off and it breaks it has layers and sparkels

Yep, it is a composite material, but I still haven't ever been able to figure out the components...

i agree chris but their is nothing wrong with my radiator. just some preventative measures. A common problem with a common mod.

Originally Posted By: joegreen
i agree chris but their is nothing wrong with my radiator. just some preventative measures. A common problem with a common mod.

I think I would just get a new Behr radiator for the MB and call it done...easier than the reinforcement/mod....

I believe that the deterioration and ultimate failure happens from the inside out, so there is really nothing you can do from a modification standpoint that would be worth the time and effort.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: joegreen

I think I would just get a new Behr radiator for the MB and call it done...easier than the reinforcement/mod....

+1

Surprisingly, my current two w123 cars have their original radiators and hoses (less one hose which didn't rot but started getting drippy at the end). Same for my other W123s which all had >>200K, my 91 BMW, and my father's 96 E300D, which is near 300k.

All good stuff, and if you don't try to remove the hoses, the necks don't break...

But if they do, or if one is worried (I have enough miles to not be concerned on my cars), then Behr is best, IMO.

I have the radiator out of my car and the pieces already made. Cost $3.50 total. My radiator is a newer nissens unit. The original behr radiators are known to have thier necks break where the hoses attach, look it up. I would not buy another behr, they are moving or have moved to china while nissens is still made in denmark. Mercedessource sells a kit to reinforce the necks. I made my own because i was replacing my thermostat and took out the radiator to clean it. Its one of those situations where you say while im here i might as well do this. Lets get to the point of the topic and discuss radiator tank material.

Last edited:
My 1981 240D went over 240,000 miles on the original rad. Neck never broke...so I question the assumption, "are known to have their necks break" that prompted your question. I would say that cars with neglected coolant are known to have their necks break because the PH broke down the plastic.

https://genuinemercedesparts.com/parts/1...iagramCallOut=1

Looks to me like new is cheap and available....and mercedessource recommends that you either reinforce the neck or replace the radiator. So, according to your source, replace is a reasonable option.

Further, since mercedessource sells reinforcing directions, directions, why not just follow those directions? What difference does the material make?

Last edited:
When I was hauling raw materials to the parts mfg's, they were made of nylon. I can't remember the specific product, but it was definitely nylon.

Polypropylene and polyethylene have melt temperatures near the temperature radiators operate so I doubt they make them from those materials. (Although I've been wrong before)

Nylon has a much higher melt temperature and is often reinforced with glass fibers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back