What are the most amount of miles you've seen on a

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota 3.4 engine? Right now, I have 207,500 on my 1998 4Runner's 3.4. Since I purchased it with 143k about two years ago, it has seen four OCI's of Redline and four SSO. The thing runs like it is new. Never a ping or a knock and smooth as [censored]. Is it possible to get 500k out of this engine? What do you guys think?

there was a guy who went 1,000,000 miles on pennzoil dino every 3k. There were several commecricals about him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqtuYyHwLA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa0ZPhs2Cyw&feature=related

A guy I work with had well over 300k on a Ford 4.9 I-6 when he sold it; my dad sold his '95 Grand Cherokee 5.2 magnum with 249k on it and still going strong (used oil though) dino all its life...my 5.9 magnum has 178k on it (actually more like 190k because the odometer is off due to the larger tires).

Last edited:
I think you can, a lot will depend on how you drive the car.

It seems like you are putting on 30,000 miles a year.

I have a 1983 Chevrolet El Camino with 367,000 miles on it, which averages to about 14,000 miles a year.

If you keep driving this car 30,000 miles a year then when the car is 26 years old like mine, you could have 780,000 miles.

I'd love to see an engine like that 3.4 Yota tracked for it's entire life via UOA. Perhaps you'd have an idea of what kind of wear "budget" is available and see if a few PPM of any wear metal at each OCI matters or not.

You could make it 500K w/ good maint. and good engine.

That Chevy is impressive, so is the million mile Ford van which now has 1.1 million miles.

Just keep up the maint. and that 3.4 should last a long time.

Thank you guys for the replies. I was trying to discern is anyone had any experience with the Toyota 3.4. It seems as if this is a fairly bulletproof engine. It has never burned or leaked a drop. I haven't heard too many 3.4 engines failing prematurely with regular maintenance, but was wondering if this engine has a propensity to outlast others with the same service intervals and proper care.

I did have a 2000 Toyota Tacoma with the 2.4 4 cylinder engine. I racked up 187k on it in 4 years. I used M1 at 3k intervals. This was before I had any clue that a syn could go 7-8k. I sold it for a little under 6k. I bet that engine could have gone 1,000,000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back