What are the loud booms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're near Twenty Nine Palms - a big Marine training area that focuses on the integration of air and ground forces.

So, bombs make a big boom.

So does artillery.

Both are in use at the Marine training range.

Is she lifting up on one cheek when she hears the noise? Does it sound muffled or is she grinning?

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Is she lifting up on one cheek when she hears the noise? Does it sound muffled or is she grinning?

lol.gif

Last edited:
We had an incident here a couple of months ago where a couple of guys either accidentally or intentionally set off a very large quantity of tannerite one evening. There were some broken windows in the immediate area and the sound was heard up to 20 miles away. I don’t know if they actually ever determined the reason for the incident.

Also the cold weather will cause the ground to shift which can in turn cause small localized booms (cryoseismic boom) and so forth but since it was heard by others around, not so likely.

Last edited:
Single loud boom or two around here is usually someone launching fireworks. Happens at random times all year round.

When I was a kid with quarries in the area we often heard and felt blasting at home and at school. In the mid '80's I worked near a scrap metal smelter, sometime there would be a huge blast that would make the whole wall of our building move. Most of the workers there were my customers, and one day I asked what the explosions were - he laughed and said ''aerosol can''...they leave one in for a bit of fun. One night I went to drop in at work and the whole area was cordoned off - there was an oxy bottle in the mix, and it nearly destroyed the building.

Originally Posted By: jonnied1
Originally Posted By: ZZman

lol.gif

Kind've a "rat a tat tat" haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back