What are the European motor oil classifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are European motor oils classified? What is A3 and A5? And how many american motor oils meet European requirements?

From the ACEA publication "ACEA European Oil Sequences":

Gasoline Sequences
A1 Oil intended for use in gasoline engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a High Temperature / High Shear Rate Viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.
A2 General purpose oil intended for use in most gasoline engines with normal drain intervals, although it may not be suitable for some high performance engines.
A3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and / or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and / or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.
A4 Reserved for future use for gasoline direct injection engines.
A5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a HT/HS of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

Light duty diesel Sequences
B1 Oil intended for use in car and light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a High temperature / High shear rate viscosity of 2.6 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.
B2 General purpose oil intended for use in most car and light van diesel engines (primarily indirect injection) with normal drain intervals, although it may not be suitable for some high performance engines.
B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance car and light van diesel engines and / or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and / or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.
B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oils intended for use in cars and light vans having direct injection diesel engines but also suitable for applications described under B3.
B5 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in car and light van diesel engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a HT/HS of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

Thanks. So how many American motor oils meet these standards, especially the higher standards? I would guess that most American motor oils meet the lower standards, but how about A3 and A5? According to what I have found out, Mobil 1 (in one or more viscosities) meets some of the higher requirements, and also Schaeffer's Oil. How about Amsoil and Redline?

I came across some information a long time back. Apparently Quaker State synthetic oil sold in Europe met all kinds of European standards. The Quaker State synthetic that was being sold in the USA was apparently a different motor oil. And at that time I could not find any information about Pennzoil selling motor oil in Europe. This was back in the days when I was using Pennzoil and Quaker State.

Mystic,

Most of the Amsoil formulations are now rated ACEA "A3/B4", or ACEA "A3/B3". This includes the 0w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40 and Series 3000, 5w-30, which is primarily formulated for diesel applications. The 20w-50 grades are also A3/B3 rated ....

TooSlick
Dixie Synthetics

Interesting...

The ACEA Spec for A1 and A5 specify both a min and a max whereas A2 and A3 specify only a minimum (>3.5). They do appear to be distinctly separate oil specs where one oil cannot meet (nor would not want to meet) both specs.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Most of the Amsoil formulations are now rated ACEA "A3/B4", or ACEA "A3/B3". This includes the 0w-30, 10w-30, 10w-40 and Series 3000, 5w-30, which is primarily formulated for diesel applications.

Apparently the Amsoil site is not updated yet for Series 2000 0W-30, no A3/B3 spec. Will the HP 5W-30 be able to meet it also?

Correct that's Q.S.'s synthetic. Don't think any conventional oils are A3.

Please, note as I posted 3 of Syntec's grades are A3. That is the 10-40, 5-50 and 20-50. The website does not list the 20-50...can't say why, but I had some in my hand the other week....so it is available.

OTC A3 in U.S.:

Mobil 1: 0-40 and 15-50 only
Castrol Syntec: 0-30, 10-40, 5-50 and 20-50
Quaker State: 10-30, 5-50
Valvoline SynPower: 5-40 and 20-50 only

Does Pennzoil have a 5-50 Synthetic? If so, it too would probably qualify...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
OTC A3 in U.S.:

Mobil 1: 0-40 and 15-50 only
Castrol Syntec: 0-30, 10-40, 5-50 and 20-50
Quaker State: 10-30, 5-50
Valvoline SynPower: 5-40 and 20-50 only

Does Pennzoil have a 5-50 Synthetic? If so, it too would probably qualify...

You mean Quaker State synthetic 10w30, right? I seriously doubt if their conventional oil would carry the A3 rating.

Gary,

The Amsoil spec sheets on their website are rarely up to date. The quart and gallon containers of the 0w-30 have been showing the new A3/B4 specs now for several months. I expect the regular 5w-30, "ASL" will also carry these same specs, since it's very similiar to the 10w-30 in terms of chemistry. These oils also list VW 502/505, MB 229.3, BMW and Porsche specifications, FWIW ....

TooSlick

I seriously doubt that Amsoil actually tests its oils against the ACEA standards. One of their stated reasons for not having the API rating is the COST of the testing. The ACEA requires more rigorous and expensive tests than the API:
  • Only ISO accredited laboratories may be used
  • Test laboratories have to be registered
  • Every single test result has to be declared

And, quoting from the Amsoil web site: "AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 0W-30 Motor Oil is Recommended for Applications Requiring the Following Specifications:" the ACEA ratings are then listed. Saying that their oil is recommended for applications requiring ACEA rated oils is a FAR CRY from saying that their oils actually MEET those requirements. Keep in mind that Amsoil boasts that their oils DON'T meet the API specs, and the API SL rating is in that same list of specs with the ACEA ratings for which they recommend their oil.

Bottom line, just like the API specs which Amsoil isn't tested for, it isn't tested for the ACEA specs either. That's the only logical conclusion one can reach based on the wishy-washy marketing language of the web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back