What are symptoms of PCV valve needing replacement?

Yo noob: A very helpful Ford mechanic on a Ranger board advises the maintenance schedule I mentioned in post #9.
Experience is what he has as well as knowledge of all the Ford bulletins, campaigns and recalls.

The PCV valves involved are not the heated type.
Interesting to me is the small diameter (3/16"?) aluminum pipe bent around the valve for heating. I never heard of this type.
Since my cold state (NJ) PCV was 15 years old, I decided to replace it. It still shook but sounded full of oil goo.
Just because a PCV valve shakes doesn't mean the valve action is complete

I hope the AutoZone replacement I bought is good enough.

One fellow removed the entire coolant circulation loop (PVC heater) claiming it was an ineffective system which also introduced failurepoints.
Perhaps he's onto something as Ford went to the heated PCV valves you mentioned.

To Number_35: Approximately how many miles were on your '97 Mazda's PCV?
Kira - In March 2005 the MPV would have had approximately 140K km (85K miles) on it.

My friend's van (also a '97 MPV) started doing the same thing around the same time.

I know that's only a small sample of two, but I wonder if it was a common problem with the JE engine.

This inspires me to replace the PCV valve on our new-to-us 2007 Grand Caravan 3.3!

I don't think you can go wrong replacing it. The 2017 3.6 my pal has has a 60K PCV valve replacement.
Is that considered a regular maintenance item? Is the replacement noted in the owner's manual or service manual?

Yo Shel_B: I wish I could cite my source. I am reading a ton on these vehicles 'cause a friend and his son just bought a 2017 JGC and 2019 DGC, respectively. I email to them the notes I take.

Also, I believe PCV valves have always been on every vehicle's maintenance schedule.

Even my sister's 4.0l (worshiped straight 6 Jeep engine) with a PCV Orifice needed cleaning or replacement.
I think the designers knew goo accumulates.

Look in the manual
I don't have the described vehicles, ergo, don't have the manuals. There's nothing noted in the manual for my car that the PCV valve is to be replaced at any regular interval.

On our ‘11 Camry I have not touched the pcv valve. Not even sure where it is...

Thanks, now I know. And I can see that I'm in no rush to swap it out now.
That's why I'm interested in what the symptoms are of a valve needing attention. A lot of time, work, and expense just to make a wild guess.

Is that considered a regular maintenance item? Is the replacement noted in the owner's manual or service manual?
Yes the OM usually states inspect. Some pcv valves are more complex than others especially on gdi engines. On a side note, I highly recommend using OEM replacement parts notauto parts stuff since a cheap or bad part can cause all kinds of issuesincluding excessive crankcase pressure and increase blow by, and is part of the emission control system.

Just because it rattles doesn't necessarily mean it is working; not nowadays anyway. Even if it rattles, the spring can still be too week to operate correctly under vacuum when it should. You're better off just replacing it instead of cleaning or trusting the rattle test. They are extremely cheap and easy to replace if you even think there it might not be working right.

Back in the 70's we used to replace them with every tune up at the shop I worked at. Chevy's were a real pain because they were screwed in the head under the valve cover. Due to oil sludging back then I guess it was a good practice.

Back