what are some thoughts on toyota 0w-20 oil?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with most of what you're saying, I'm pretty sure the oils will still have the cold viscosity traits for the duration of the OCI that the were designed for. I'm pretty sure they're not extended drain oils, they were designed for the mfg OCI.

The cost seems very reasonable considering what most good 0W20 oils cost in the store, or what the boutique oils cost. It's too bad more 0W20 oils aren't available. I have a feeling these oils are going to be copied, perhaps with extended OCI's in mind. Time and UOA's will tell. JMO

UnDummy, you bring up an interesting point regarding the very cold temp' stat's like PP (although MRV and CCS are more useful IMO).
They are not measured in UOA so we have no idea how they stand up in actual service.

The 40C vis spec is a cold temp stat in so much that it can be used in conjunction with the VI to accurately determine the kinematic vis' down to at least the freezing point.
Better UOA's do measure the 40C vis' as well as the 100C vis' and typically what happens to the 100C vis' is also reflected in the 40C vis'. If an oil shows evidence of shearing at 100C there is shearing at 40C as well although usually to a lesser extent. Consiquently, in service an oils VI can drop somewhat.

If you really want to know if the start-up vis of your oil has been affected at the end of an OCI then choose an oil analysis company that provides both the 40C and 100C vis' measurements.

Practically speaking an oil pressure gauge that doesn't "peg" on cold start-ups will accomplish the same thing. Just as you can tell if an oil has sheared in service you can also tell if it has thickened up on start-up as well.

Toyota has upped the OCI for new cars using the synthetic 0W-20 oils to 10K. This is retroactively applied to many 2010 model year cars already purchased. See here.

Rumple

Rumple, an excellent find!

We have 5,100 mile Dec 8th UOA on a Tundra. The TBN was 3.62. Considering the VOA TBN is about 6 the 10,000 mile OCI sounds reasonable.

Toyota certainly has a lot of confidence in their new 0W-20.

The free oil change coupon offered by Toyota is a nice gesture.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

A one year OCI permitted by Toyota is maybe particularly impressive given Toyota's bad experience with 'extended' OCIs in the previous decade (i.e sludge)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

A one year OCI permitted by Toyota is maybe particularly impressive given Toyota's bad experience with 'extended' OCIs in the previous decade (i.e sludge)

That's what I was thinking. With all the problems Toyota is having now the last thing they need is problems with oil. The fact that they claim 1 year or 10,000 miles for normal driving speaks volumes about their confidence in their 0W20 oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The fact that they claim 1 year or 10,000 miles for normal driving speaks volumes about their confidence in their 0W20 oil.

Hopefully we will begin to see some more UOAs with this or Honda's 0W20 oil.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The fact that they claim 1 year or 10,000 miles for normal driving speaks volumes about their confidence in their 0W20 oil.

Hopefully we will begin to see some more UOAs with this or Honda's 0W20 oil.

+1 Right now Ultra is stealing the show. LOL

I have a 2010 Prius with 3,200 miles on it now. I changed out the factory fill at 2,100 miles and put in Honda 0W-20 oil. I will be changing that at the 5,000 mile mark (i.e. 2,900 miles on the oil) with Toyota 0W-20 and go 10,000 miles for OCI from then on. I may do a UOA on the Honda oil just for the heck of it and will definitely do one after the 1st 10,000 miles interval.

Right now I an sticking with either Toyota or Honda oil as I feel there may be some important factors that drove them both to their unique oil formulations that they both have made that the majors (Ultra/Mobil 1/etc.) just don't get/care about right now.

Rumple

Originally Posted By: rumple

Right now I an sticking with either Toyota or Honda oil as I feel there may be some important factors that drove them both to their unique oil formulations that they both have made that the majors (Ultra/Mobil 1/etc.) just don't get/care about right now.

Rumple

I'm thinking along those lines, with a few other people that have been looking into these oils. The UOA's should be very interesting.

I believe the motivation for the development of these oils is the challenges of lubricating hybrid engines.
The frequent cold (and hot) starts and often running with cool oil temps is clearly what has been addressed.
Now that these oils have been developed the benefits of course can be applied to all engines hence Toyota's and Honda's planned adoption across all model lines.

Rumble, it would be great if you'd do a UOA on the Honda oil. You may have the distinction of being the first to post a Honda 0W-20 UOA.

The problem IIRC, was with the design of the 3.0 engine (small oil passages, or small coolant passeges (I forget) and the result being the surrounding area getting too hot and cooking the oil. Also, I think the thermostat was set to open at a hotter temperature for emissions reason. The 3.3 and 3.5 were redesigned and have not had sludging problems. I can confirm (via Scangauge) that my engine runs at 180f when fully heated up.

Last edited:
That's quite cool, fine for the summer but possibly too cool for the winter. You may want to check the thermostat spec'. I'd be suprised if it's under 90C and therefore your t'stat may be sticking open.

Originally Posted By: rcy

The problem IIRC, was with the design of the 3.0 engine (small oil passages, or small coolant passeges (I forget) and the result being the surrounding area getting too hot and cooking the oil.

The 3.3 and 3.5 were redesigned and have not had sludging problems.

But with the original sludge prone engines longer OCIs exacerbated the problem
21.gif
. By extension short intervals masked some inherent design issues with these engines

The bigger problem is that the 1-yr/10,000 mile interval is only permitted if 0w-20 synthetic oil is used.

The fact is, Americans will NOT pay for synthetic oil in mainstream cars. VW assumed otherwise and required owners to use synthetic oil. But guess what? Owners didn't, engines sludged up, and VW had to take the blame (even though it wasn't entirely their fault).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The bigger problem is that the 1-yr/10,000 mile interval is only permitted if 0w-20 synthetic oil is used.

The fact is, Americans will NOT pay for synthetic oil in mainstream cars.

For some reason this oil is (much) less expensive in Canada than it is in the US
54.gif
. Up here it might be considered as expensive dino or in expensive synthetic
56.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The fact is, Americans will NOT pay for synthetic oil in mainstream cars.

For some reason this oil is (much) less expensive in Canada than it is in the US
54.gif
. Up here it might be considered as expensive dino or in expensive synthetic
56.gif

But for Americans, if the oil isn't the "standard offering" at a fast lube, then their car won't be getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back