What are some less common tools that are good to have around for auto maintenance?

Sockets, Screwdrivers, Pliers and Wrenches are the obvious things to have in the garage. What are some lesser known tools that you have that are worth every penny?

Hammer. I have a 3 (or 5?) pound deadblow that is nice for "tapping" wrenches when I can't get enough leverage. When I can, a 3' or 4' piece of gas pipe as a cheater bar. Pieces of cut off 2x wood to use as cribbing.

Towels. Lots and lots of towels... and earplugs for passerbys.

Long double joint or double X pliers, one with angle jaws. Great for releasing difficult clips in awkward places and retrieving stainless screws and bits that your magnetic retriever ignores.

Flexi drive extension for a power driver, get the one with the stationary collar for holding it

Hemostats, straight and angled, great for pinching vacuum and small hydraulic hoses, holding electrical parts while soldering or heat shrinking, etc.

MightyVac

EC5C7A46-6598-4590-AA8E-6A87AF7B8DE2.jpeg

Locking extensions, magnetic sockets, spring punch, cable type clamp tool, M42 cobalt drill bits, smoke wrench, impact tools, air hammer, Rocket sockets, line wrenches, good torque tools, deep ring wrenches, good crow bars, I could list a whole page of stuff.

The special tool for installing Ford tone rings because this one I’m doing now that looked easy on YouTube isn’t so easy LOL. Serpentine belt tool is handy too. Also inner tie rod tool, and many more I can’t think of right now lol.

Oh yeah and fan clutch wrenches. I’m sure we have all been in a place where we needed a thin wrench well there you go serves two purposes fan clutches and thin wrenches.

Back