What are some less common tools that are good to have around for auto maintenance?

A good long lasting magnetic light that can be positioned where you are working. I prefer LED and rechargeable because they dont get hot. Good light really helps you spt broken wires, leaks, missing parts etc. Maybe its just me but i like to see what im working on or fixing. Another good thing not necessarily a tool per se but fan. Eventhough Iwork in my garage with the door open a good fan really helps. I have a 30 inch all metal 2speed fan that sits on the floor. It really a big difference in the summer and helps cut down on the flying insects.

Innova makes cheaper PP version that is probably close to the PP 3 in function. I bought one during one of their 20% off sales but have not used it yet.
There are a lot of these low priced ones, I would bet most are coming from only a few manufacturers with different brands. Another cheap one but there are many, they work pretty good for the money and more than good enough for DIY or occasional use.

Locking extensions, magnetic sockets, spring punch, cable type clamp tool, M42 cobalt drill bits, smoke wrench, impact tools, air hammer, Rocket sockets, line wrenches, good torque tools, deep ring wrenches, good crow bars, I could list a whole page of stuff.
I had to google "smoke wrench" and "rocket socket".

Pump for filling a rear diff from a quart bottle, strap wrench
These Hopkins gear oil hoses are great because you close them … get the hose stabbed … then open

34839A63-A9BA-49DD-A593-F9578CD5D049.jpeg

Oh yeah and fan clutch wrenches. I’m sure we have all been in a place where we needed a thin wrench well there you go serves two purposes fan clutches and thin wrenches.

Particularly brand specific fan wrenches. I bought one specifically for BMW's where removing the fan is necessary for any type of engine work.

Back