What Anti Virus Is Best And Why? CA or Webroot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get ca for free at the shop from optinum online and at home i have norton..What does everyone think is best i will be changing from optinum to another service at the shop and what should i buy? Norton, CA, McAfee, webroot or another one? Which is best for protection and why?

ESET NOD32 has consistently been at or near the top.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

It typically bests the others in terms of lowest resource usage (it's written in machine code and uses about half the RAM and CPU of most others). I have used it for about 7 years now. Never going back to Symantec.

What always struck me about NOD32 is how consistent it is year to year. Symantec and the others seem to have "on" years and then "off" years.

Pass on McAfee, IMO. I've had to clean off at least four bad malware infections off of my mother's computer. She has McAfee.

The last infection, Backdoor.0access, was actually able to disable McAfee real-time scanning and keep it from performing manual scans.

Not too impressed with it.

Don't do CA. Can't remove it completely on my old laptop. Pain in the behind. Using mcafee and an antimalware from download.com

Originally Posted By: dparm

It typically bests the others in terms of lowest resource usage (it's written in machine code and uses about half the RAM and CPU of most others). I have used it for about 7 years now. Never going back to Symantec.

What always struck me about NOD32 is how consistent it is year to year. Symantec and the others seem to have "on" years and then "off" years.

You are willing to pay $214.95 annually for home anti-virus protection (NOD32)?

IMHO I would stay away from those and go with Microsoft Security Essentials. It's a great all in one package, and gets high reviews from sources like CNET and Maximum PC. Plus it's made by the same folks who wrote your operating system. I have been using it for years with no problems. I have had Norton and it is a resource hog in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

You are willing to pay $214.95 annually for home anti-virus protection (NOD32)?

Umm, it's $39.99 a year: http://go.eset.com/us/store/

You are looking at the 5-user pack for business use.

Last edited:
MSE is free, which is a worthwhile feature. I use AVG -Free, and I have MSE but don't keep it running. When I exit my browser and prepare to go away I kick on MSE. The only drawback is that it really want to go ON automatic, and I don't want to run both at the same time.I do like the fact that, from time to time, both systems scan.

Avast! is good too for free protection.. although MSE is great too! Either one of those two is my recommendation.

This. We have a site licence for it at work and I absolutely love the product.

I think the best antivirus is Kaspersky. I also used NOD32 off and on for several years but I think it went down for a while. It may now be back and as good as Kaspersky. Norton is not the research hog it used to be but there are reports that the 2012 version is buggy. NOD32 Version 5 has tested very well according to what I have heard. And NOD32 does not slow down a computer and has quick scans.

I am glad that Microsoft came out with MSE. But I don't think it is the best AV. There is some agreement among some researchers that Avast! may be the best free AV.

I totally would not touch McAfee, CA, Norman, and some others.

A few AVs that seem to be good are GData, the paid version of Avira, Bitdefender, and F-Secure. But I still think Kaspersky is the best.

I am not sure about Webroot. They have a totally new AV engine based on PrevX. You might want to check and see what is said about Webroot at PCMagazine.

Last edited:
If people here looked at AV's the way they look at oil the answer is easy.

If you could get Amsoil for free would you say no thanks I'd rather pay $26.00 M1 ?

There are a few free (for personal use) AV's that are as good or better than paid versions, MSE isn't one of them.

Or do as Drew99GT suggest and ditch the AV
smile.gif

Last edited:
I love MSE! I have it on all my machines and you never know it is running, and the best part is the price!

I was using AVG free, but then it turned into a virus itself, wanting to install addons all the time and popups shooting up all the time.

One thing that is really funny is that NSS Labs in a report rated TrendMicro, McAfee, and F-Secure as the three best and the ones they would recommend. I don't know who is behind NSS Labs but I totally would not touch McAfee. I think F-Secure, a Finnish AV, is pretty good. I don't know about TrendMicro.

I saw a test, I can't remember if it was AVTest or AVComparatives, where they tested AV programs against real 'zero day' malware. Norton actually had the best detection and F-Secure was in 2nd place. Kaspersky and NOD32 were pretty high. I believe very strongly, from personal experience, that Kaspersky has much better behavioral detection than Norton. And NOD32 apparently has built in HIPS protection.

MSE was not listed but according to what I found out MSE (in another test) detected only 50% of zero day malware. In comparison the average was 85% and Bitdefender scored 100%. Bitdefender has some other issues however. It slows down startup and shutdown times.

From everything I have been able to find out I still trust Kaspersky. I thought Norton was going to be really good for a while but there are reports that the 2012 Norton is buggy and it is still a mess trying to remove Norton from your computer. However, if I was sure that I could fully trust in NOD32 I would have no problem using it. It is fast, does not take up a lot of computer resources, apparently has built in HIPS protection, automatically updates, and also scans for programs that need to be updated. Version 5 looks good.

There are issues as far as I am concerned with most of the other AV programs that score well. I had a trial copy of GData and it slowed down my computer. I am not a big fan of Bitdefender either, regardless how high it scores. I have never tried Avira, except for the free version.

For me, when it comes to AV programs, for paid programs I like Kaspersky, NOD32, and maybe F-Secure.

I would like to be able to recommend MSE but for a free AV I think I would recommend Avast!.

You have to realize that it comes down to more than just detection rates, which can vary over time. Some AV programs have serious issues slowing computers down, or have slow scanning, or other problems. There is no perfect AV, but as far as I am able to determine a person would probably get good results with Kaspersky, NOD32, F-Secure, and Avast!.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back