What Am I Missing With QSUD 5W20 / 5W30 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My WM always has a lot of QUSUD 5W20 and 5W30 available on the shelf ...My vehicles can use either weight , so with QSUD what specifically am I missing (additives wise ) that should sway me use to M1 or Pennzoil Synthetics (when I can find them in my weight(s) at WM) ? Applications are typical suburban commuter / grocery getter ( '10 Hyundai Elantra PFI engine , '07 Kia Sedona PFI engine)running standard OCI of 6 months / 6500 ~ 7500 miles with Wix filters . No turbo or DI engines to contend with - your thoughts ?

I'd pay more attention to how the oil makes the car feel than what additive package it has. And I'd definitely choose the 5W-30 over 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
No turbo or DI engines to contend with - your thoughts ?

Buy the least expensive oil that you care to use. In Georgia, any API SN 5W-20 or 5W-30 is fine...conventional, synthetic...it really doesn't matter here. Even QSUD is pretty overkill for your application. The QSUD 5W-30 has a lot of OEM certifications including those for some turbocharged engines; it's way more than enough for your use.

I'd personally buy a 5-quart jug of Pennzoil or Havoline in 5W-30 and call it good.

I've been using 5W20 Shell and QS synthetic oils in my 2011 Kia 2.0L and 2.4L with no issues. I buy when on sale at Menard's and BJs Club. Usually pay $3.50/qt or less.

However, always use M1 or Syntec 0W40 in my 2005 1.8T Audi because of VW 502.00 requirements.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
No turbo or DI engines to contend with - your thoughts ?

Buy the least expensive oil that you care to use. In Georgia, any API SN 5W-20 or 5W-30 is fine...conventional, synthetic...it really doesn't matter here. I'd personally buy a 5-quart jug of Pennzoil or Havoline in 5W-30 and call it good.

+1

If you compare VOAs and UOAs, you'll find that the metallic adds are very similar between any of the SOPUS syns and M1 in the same grades.
As for non-metallic adds and basestock blends, who knows?

Thanks for the replies ... Interesting to note my WM has replaced a lot of synthetic 5W 20 oils (M1 , PP , etc.) with 0W 20 oils which Kia / Hyundai have not authorized , while QSUD is always available in 5W 20 .

Additive wise?basicly the less metal count the better.(usually.why you think the market created coolant without nitrate phosphate or silicate.yep wear)

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
The only thing missing is pouring some QSUD in your car.

It's good stuff, available, and a good buy.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back