What am I about to get myself into?

I have a 2014 Pathfinder that I bought in April after I totalled my Honda. One thing that is long overdue and I plan on doing soon is installing a high output alternator to support my subwoofer system and CB radio equipment. I had one made for my CR-V but I haven't gotten around to getting on in the Pathfinder yet.

I need to swap the alternator (obviously), run a 1/0 charge wire from the output post of the alternator to the positive battery terminal, and install thicker ground cables between the battery and the body and the engine block and the body.

As I only have experience working on my old CR-V and not my much newer and much more cramped Pathfinder, is this something I could take on myself or would I be better off just having somebody do it for me?

You'll do a more quality job than 90+% of professionals.

How much time do you spend transmitting? I'd expect your battery could handle a few five second transients, especially at the legal 4 watt ERP.

I love my BMW X1 with professional radio and CD player. I wouldn't dare tinker with any electrical stuff on it, and I leave it off when driving. I wanna hear car purring or any bad noise.

Summit usually can assist you with custom parts such as custom idler pully and different belt if you have to change things for a bigger alternator. They even sell some pullies that are only a pully and bearing if you want to delete the AC on a race car.

How much fire are you putting in the wire? Are you competing on the Superbowl?
I do run a 2 pill amp and I have a 4 pill in the works, I'm in the worldwide sidebanders group and I usually talk on 6, 11 and 28. I'm only 19 and I got into CB when I got my first car now I own over a dozen radios and have a decent base station setup. Not too many other guys my age on the radio.

I assume you are doing a big 3 or 4 upgrade. Why not go onto some Pathfinder forums and ask there? More specifically ask who has done something similar and see what they say.
Yes I will be doing the big 3 in addition to the alternator.

I do run a 2 pill amp and I have a 4 pill in the works, I'm in the worldwide sidebanders group and I usually talk on 6, 11 and 28. I'm only 19 and I got into CB when I got my first car now I own over a dozen radios and have a decent base station setup. Not too many other guys my age on the radio.
What is a "pill"? Do you mean output transistors?
Stop wasting your money on all that non sense and get your Amateur Radio License.

I still have about 30 cb radios. I run a Dx98 in my truck that does 150w on AM. I have a dx99 v in my Jeep with a 250w linier under the back seat.

Best antenna I have found for my application is the Hustler HQ27 shortened to work on 11meters.

Had a lot of fun with CB before cell phones came out. Every channel and even the funnies were packed every night.

I have a brand new Uniden Grant xl right next to me I have been meaning to plug in and try out.

What is the current draw or output of a 2 "pill" or 4 "pill" amp? My 100w output Ham radios draw around 30 amps DC. This only requires a 12 gauge stranded DC cable and work fine with the OEM vehicle alternator and wiring. Are we over thinking this cable/alternator requirement?

What is the current draw or output of a 2 "pill" or 4 "pill" amp? My 100w output Ham radios draw around 30 amps DC. This only requires a 12 gauge stranded DC cable and work fine with the OEM vehicle alternator and wiring. Are we over thinking this cable/alternator requirement?
30A seems high and 12g seems low—I would have thought 25A on peaks and 10g a bit iffy, I would want thicker unless if a really short run. But 1/0!? wowzer.

30A seems high and 12g seems low—I would have thought 25A on peaks and 10g a bit iffy, I would want thicker unless if a really short run. But 1/0!? wowzer.
30A peaks on sideband and around 25A continuous on AM (radios reduce output power on AM because of duty cycle). Digital modes (RTTY for example) are 30A continuous (but for short duration to save the finals from overheating). Radios come with 15 feet of 12G wire from the factory. I wouldn't go any longer that 15 feet at 12VDC because of voltage drop which will increase current draw (overheating the wire).

How much power are you running total? The new class D sub amplifiers are much more efficient that the old Class AB. For the same output they will consume somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 the power of a Class AB. And Watts are CHEAP compared to the 90s where $1/watt was the benchmark. Now legit 1000 watts Class Ds are in the $100 range. More than enough to blow your eardrums out.

On that note. I will share my experience with car audio. From '88 to about '92 had a system with 2 cheap (like $40 when Kickers were $200 each) 12" Pyle drivers in a ported box. Being interested in engineering since high school I built an mathematically optimized box using books equations and measuring the drivers with what little equipment I had. Box turned out impressive, with a also cheap 50WRPM/channel going into these subs I could "out bump" most if the guys that were running kickers and punch. Loved P---ing them off after they spent so much money to get beat by my cheap rig. :) a while later I got another another amp that produced 200W bridged, I could push the two 12s to the excersion limits (which wasn't much compared to today) but still looked cool bouncing in and out.

Around the early 90s I started noticing the ringing in my ears would not go away after a long loud session. Didn't pay it any mind until I started failing hearing tests when I got checked out. That's when my stereo got stolen. Bad thing and probably a good thing too. I never replaced it and started avoiding loud placed because the ringing would get really loud.

After I got out of college, I happened to date an audiologist and she ran a heavy duty test and confirmed that I had severe hearing loss at ~4Khz and it would get get worse as time even if I never exposed my self to loud noises again. Exposure would of course speedup the loss.

There is nothing in life worse than having done something to yourself that you look back as say... "well that was stupid."

well beyond those years no and have a giant box of earplugs and carry portable ear plugs on my keyring now for just in case I wind up in a loud situation I was not expecting. Now the docs are pushing $3000/ear hearing aids. I tried them and don't like them. But the folks around me also don't like repeating themselves either..... sooner or later I will have to get something.

Do yourself a favor with the loud stereo, pay attention to what your ears are telling you when its too much. foam earplugs are the best when showing off. The rest of the time keep it lower and limit the exposure time. better yet read up on hearing loss due to loud noises to get an idea.

Sorry to preach you are on the same trail I was on and would feel remiss if I didn't give you a peek and what could play out if you do the same things I did.

How much power are you running total? The new class D sub amplifiers are much more efficient that the old Class AB. For the same output they will consume somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 the power of a Class AB. And Watts are CHEAP compared to the 90s where $1/watt was the benchmark. Now legit 1000 watts Class Ds are in the $100 range. More than enough to blow your eardrums out.

On that note. I will share my experience with car audio. From '88 to about '92 had a system with 2 cheap (like $40 when Kickers were $200 each) 12" Pyle drivers in a ported box. Being interested in engineering since high school I built an mathematically optimized box using books equations and measuring the drivers with what little equipment I had. Box turned out impressive, with a also cheap 50WRPM/channel going into these subs I could "out bump" most if the guys that were running kickers and punch. Loved P---ing them off after they spent so much money to get beat by my cheap rig. :) a while later I got another another amp that produced 200W bridged, I could push the two 12s to the excersion limits (which wasn't much compared to today) but still looked cool bouncing in and out.

Around the early 90s I started noticing the ringing in my ears would not go away after a long loud session. Didn't pay it any mind until I started failing hearing tests when I got checked out. That's when my stereo got stolen. Bad thing and probably a good thing too. I never replaced it and started avoiding loud placed because the ringing would get really loud.

After I got out of college, I happened to date an audiologist and she ran a heavy duty test and confirmed that I had severe hearing loss at ~4Khz and it would get get worse as time even if I never exposed my self to loud noises again. Exposure would of course speedup the loss.

There is nothing in life worse than having done something to yourself that you look back as say... "well that was stupid."

well beyond those years no and have a giant box of earplugs and carry portable ear plugs on my keyring now for just in case I wind up in a loud situation I was not expecting. Now the docs are pushing $3000/ear hearing aids. I tried them and don't like them. But the folks around me also don't like repeating themselves either..... sooner or later I will have to get something.

Do yourself a favor with the loud stereo, pay attention to what your ears are telling you when its too much. foam earplugs are the best when showing off. The rest of the time keep it lower and limit the exposure time. better yet read up on hearing loss due to loud noises to get an idea.

Sorry to preach you are on the same trail I was on and would feel remiss if I didn't give you a peek and what could play out if you do the same things I did.
I'm running 5000 watts on two 15s

I echo your comments. 30 years diesel mechanic and 20 years working around running jet aircraft engines have taken their toll. Hearing loss, vertigo and other neurological ear problems have taken their toll. I embrace the hearing aids that were originally prescribed to help alleviate severe vertigo but I'm fortunate that they are provided by the VA. Even with wearing double hearing protection the howl of the jet engines could be painful.

I echo your comments. 30 years diesel mechanic and 20 years working around running jet aircraft engines have taken their toll. Hearing loss, vertigo and other neurological ear problems have taken their toll. I embrace the hearing aids that were originally prescribed to help alleviate severe vertigo but I'm fortunate that they are provided by the VA. Even with wearing double hearing protection the howl of the jet engines could be painful.
I'm curious - how do hearing aids help with vertigo?

Back