What advantage of curved (concave) screen lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samsung Curve. What's the big deal with the screen being curved, what effect does it have for the viewer other than looking cool.

The reviews I have read say it has very little actual advantage, and is just the latest in marketing.

It seems that it would create a viewing sweet spot, and viewing from any other position would give an inferior view. This is true of any TV to a point, but the curved screen would be much more so, wouldn't it?

I think you're correct.

Around 45 years ago the iconic film "2001, A Space Odyssey" was released. It had a run at New York's famous Radio City Music Hall on a HUGE (90' wide, I think) curved screen. I wish I had seen it there.

It is said people would park themselves in the center seats and attempted to "save seats" for their friends and a scuffle or two occurred.

It's the only curved screen feature I've ever heard of at that theatre. Kira

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
The reviews I have read say it has very little actual advantage, and is just the latest in marketing.

It seems that it would create a viewing sweet spot, and viewing from any other position would give an inferior view. This is true of any TV to a point, but the curved screen would be much more so, wouldn't it?

Correct.

Unless you are in the world of movie theatre-sized screens, the curve effect is pretty much worthless. There were some guys on AVSforum that actually did the math to prove that the sweetspot is like a few inches in front of the screen, and that the viewing angles are inferior on these sets, IIRC.

The only real advantage to the curved set is that it looks cool.

So I should just get a big @ss flat panel set when I finally retire the 51" Hitachi 1080i rear projection CRT rig I've been rocking since 2006?

My wealthy boss has all manner of high resolution, big screen TV's. The curve is nothing special. I see no advantage. There really are excellent large screen, 4K units available. As always, you get what you pay for. I'd rather have better processing power for smoother upscaling, than to have a curved screen.

Had just looked at whats new and when I checked out curved screen TV's, it didn't impress me enough to buy and bring one home.

When I go look at TV's, I try to look at them from the same distance, angle (almost center/straight) & height as I do from the recliner at home. The curved TV didn't really do it for me enough.

Guess my 55 LED smart TV will have to do another year unless something at a reasonable price that I like better causes me to bring home new.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Samsung Curve. What's the big deal with the screen being curved, what effect does it have for the viewer other than looking cool.

It's a complete gimmick. People are so stupid and gullible, that they will buy it because it's "the new cool thing".

As another poster mentioned, in old theaters, some of the screens were so large, that they had to curve the edges out so that you could actually see the stuff happening on the edges. You will NEVER experience that with a home set, no matter how large it is, unless you sit about 2 feet from the screen and that's with a 65" screen.

More negatives: If you mount it on the wall, the edges stick way out away from the wall.
The viewing angles are garbage, because if you are off to one side, you are almost at a 90 degree angle to the side closest to you, so obviously you can't see it.

Leave the gimmicks to the gullible and spend the money on a quality set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back