What additives makes an oil energy conservative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything that I have ever read says do not use energy conserving oil for a wet clutch application. What additives makes and oil energy conserving? Some EC oils do not contain molly, other non-EC oil do, same as ZDDP. Is it just the weight?

I think that high amounts of molybdenum (moly) are what is generally in view when you see warnings about wet clutches. Too much Zinc/Phos can't be the problem, because folks for years have used HDEO's in Harley Davidson's wet clutch systems, with no problems. I have used Shell's Rotella in my own bike's primary--and it works just fine. Rotella has gobs of ZDDP in it, by the way.

The guys who have been adventurous enough to pour Redline oil (which contains around 10 to 15 times the usual amount of moly you find in most motor oils) into their wet clutch systems--and had their bikes live to tell about it--have largely disproven the notion that modern molybdenum addtives actually harm wet clutches.

This is one of those adages that has simply stuck--even with the oil manufacturers, even though there is little to no credible evidence to prove it's a problem...

...sort of like those who tell you that you can't set that car battery on a concrete floor or it will discharge it and ruin it. That hasn't been true for DECADES... but the myth persists.
wink.gif

Dan

Hi GoldwingGuy,
you can find a large set of data in the 'Question of the Day' forum in this site, reading the posts made by Molakule.
I think you will find out that most of the substances added in motor oils sometimes play more than one role in the scene of lubrication, for example ZDDP or moly...
..and weight is a factor, in general thicker oils require more energy from the engine to be pumped and circulated so more energy is consumed for this purpose, which is translated into elevated gas consumption, but how significant this result finally is, depends greatly on the engine and use, that means especially every unique application..

Last edited:
EC is function of viscosity AND additive. Stay with the 40 and 50 oils and you won't have to worry about it. If you bike specs a 30 read some labels, many of the "high milage" oils are not EC.

There are a few cycles that have had clutch problems with high moly oils. VERY FEW.
The Honda RC-51 comes to mind. The very high output and the marginal clutch are as much to blame here.
Honda overcompensated and recommended against light oil (30W) and/or high moly.
A co worker has an 1100 Gold Wing that he put 10W-30 Mobil I in and had no problems. He has since went back to heavier oils.
I know another that put Slick 50 in his Wing (1200) with no ill effects.
There are other friction modifiers that are used in 'EC' oils, and if you desire to run the 10W-30 that Honda recommends for it's newer Wings, I'd stay away from 'EC' oils.
Honda 10W-30 is fine, but expensive. Rotella 10W-30 is OK too, if you can find it.
There is nothing bad going to happen if you use 10W-40, or 5W-40, or 15W-40 oil. Even 0W-40 Mobil 1 should work though I haven't heard of anyone using it in a Wing.
The owners manual should say that 10-40 oil is OK if you want to use it.
ANY cycle specific oil will work regardless of weight.

Originally Posted By: GoldwingGuy
Everything that I have ever read says do not use energy conserving oil for a wet clutch application. What additives makes and oil energy conserving? Some EC oils do not contain molly, other non-EC oil do, same as ZDDP. Is it just the weight?

'07 and up Gold Wing owner manuals spec 10W-30 but the oil chart shows 10W-30 and 10W-40 oil across the entire temperature range. There were no changes made to the engines. Go out to gl1800riders.com and search 20W-50. Many are using this grade and getting 200,000+ miles from their Wings. Me? I use 10W-40 in my '07, as do many, many, others.

The current controversy is that a 40 weight oil may shear back to a 30 weight oil, given the shared sump with the transmission. The question is what does a 30 weight oil shear back to, and does that leave adequate protection. I'm not attempting to answer that question - just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: kballowe
The current controversy is that a 40 weight oil may shear back to a 30 weight oil, given the shared sump with the transmission.

I've not seen Rotella 15W-40 shear back with 3K OCIs. For UOAs, click here.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Originally Posted By: kballowe
The current controversy is that a 40 weight oil may shear back to a 30 weight oil, given the shared sump with the transmission.

I've not seen Rotella 15W-40 shear back with 3K OCIs. For UOAs, click here.

No, not in a Gold Wing. I agree. Pretty stout add pack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back