What about synth blends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this board, so I don't know all the discussions that have taken place here. And I don't know nearly as much about oil as most of you, but I love oil discussions and the thought of finding the 'perfect oil'.
Anyway, what do you all think of the synth blends. Seems that much of the discussion here is about regular oil vs. synthetic. The blends seem like a good compromise to me. From what little I know about the numbers, the numbers are better for the blends, and they are priced about a dollar higher than regular and two dollars less than synth. Seems perfect for the guy who doesn't want to spend for synth, but wants something a little better than regular. What do you experts think?

One more thing, and maybe this is stupid, but it make sense to me. If you fill half with 5w-20 and half with 5w-30, would that sort of give you 5w-25? Just wondering for the guys who are concerned about 5w-20 in their new Hondas.

quote:

Originally posted by wheels:
I'm new to this board, so I don't know all the discussions that have taken place here. And I don't know nearly as much about oil as most of you, but I love oil discussions and the thought of finding the 'perfect oil'.
Anyway, what do you all think of the synth blends. Seems that much of the discussion here is about regular oil vs. synthetic. The blends seem like a good compromise to me. From what little I know about the numbers, the numbers are better for the blends, and they are priced about a dollar higher than regular and two dollars less than synth. Seems perfect for the guy who doesn't want to spend for synth, but wants something a little better than regular. What do you experts think?

Welcome to the board!
cheers.gif

I don't "do" blends. My experience stems from a local Valvoline oil change shop selling me a "synthetic" oil change for $49.99 for my 93 Saturn SL2. At the time I didn't know any better---any better than synthetic is better than dino. It did start easier, it was quieter at speed. It also started to consume oil at 1qt per 250 miles. After investigating, Valvoline used the "DuraBlend", NOT the full synth. So I got ripped. Was it worth it? Of course not.

It may make sense for some applications, but not from my non-expert point of view. I've switched to just using Chevron dino. My newer Saturn doesn't consume any oil. I just would like to not change it so often!

Do a search on this board for Schaeffer Oil's blends, and you'll find it's a highly regarded oil on here, better than many synthetics on the market. It's key is that it's got a very good antiwear package, and the rest of it's additive package is balanced very well to allow it to handle over 10k intervals in many cases. I'm running their 10w30 blend right now, and will be switching to their 5w30 blend at the next interval and from now on.

There is only one blend that is worth buying and like Patman said, it's Schaeffer's. One of the most under-rated, least known, and best oils out there bar none.
wink.gif
The others are a waste IMO but Mobil Drive Clean Plus I'd like to see. It's new.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rick:
Hey Patman how much is the 5W-30?

One case of 12 costs $58.88 Canadian, plus GST (you don't pay PST on it since it's being ordered from another province) and shipping (one case costs $32 shipping, and two costs $47)

The schaffers stuff is the best "blend" out there, bar none.

What the data sheets may not show is any differences in additive packages. For example, in the Valvoline line, the All-climate additive package is weaker than what is found in the Durablend oils. My UOA's show that. So while the physical data may not show much difference, there may be a difference in additives that the data sheet may not pick up on.

One thing to note - some of these "blends" may not have ANY pao in them anymore with the change in definitions to include Group III oils as synthetic.

My opinion is that many of these blends, if dosed with high percentage of group III (as in 50% or more) and priced around $2 a quart are a better deal than the $4 a quart Group III "synthetic" oils. At the very least, the pricing is more correct.

If they charged you $49.99 for a Synpower oil change and gave you Durablend, you are entitled to a refund. I used to have my vehicles serviced at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change place that did a very nice job. Never a problem. Durablend service was around $36 at the time.

Most of the blends are just there for marketing reasons. That way the manufacturer can include the "S" word in the name and jack up the price.

I'd either use a quality full synthetic. (not a group III fake) or a quality dino.

quote:

Originally posted by wheels:

One more thing, and maybe this is stupid, but it make sense to me. If you fill half with 5w-20 and half with 5w-30, would that sort of give you 5w-25? Just wondering for the guys who are concerned about 5w-20 in their new Hondas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back