What about older vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
BMWs and MINIs' High Pressure Fuel Pumps seem to be pretty intolerant of ethanol blends higher than 10%.

36.gif

This could be interesting.

Look people,... around here we've had 10% ethanol since the early '80s. Every tank, every time. I've never had a fuel pump go bad, or any fuel issue, and judging by what I hear from people around here this isn't a major problem. What we really need is to separate hype from fact... do you have first hand knowledge of issues, or are you repeating things you read on the internet?

I think we should do away with ethanol in fuel, simply because we need to subsidize it simply to make it affordable, and it takes from agriculture. But as a fuel itself there is no problem with it.

I used to live in a place (Brazil) where you could fill up with 100% alcool (ethanol). It's fine.

As for 15%... let me try to educate you on what your manual may say... in the corporate world, there are teams of people, several of them lawyers, who pour over every word in your car's user's manual. Every word. And they will seek to protect themselves (the company) against anything they can get away with. So if the standard out there is currently 10% at the time of writing the manual, the lawyers will demand that wording to that effect is written into the manual....... to protect the company! Not because someone from engineering came down and demanded it. The bottom line is, if the fuel system can handle 10% ethanol, the realist in me says it can handle 15%. It's not like the fuel pump is suddenly going to explode.

But... of course, since that wording is in the manual, if you have a car that is currently under warranty and the manual says 10%, you would need to stick with 10% to preserve your warranty. (Although I doubt they would even be able to prove otherwise, anyway.)

Quote:
I used to live in a place (Brazil) where you could fill up with 100% alcohol (ethanol). It's fine.

Quote:
It gets better. Scott Morrison is the owner of the City Garage chain in North Texas and he related the story of his technical director's run-in with ethanol; in December he filled up his E85 Flex Fuel Chevy Suburban at the Exxon station in Ovilla, just south of Dallas. His Suburban died on the spot, because even an E85-equipped vehicle will not run on the 100% pure ethanol that Exxon station was pumping that day. In that case it was not Exxon's fault but a mistake at the distribution center, and Exxon (xom.) quickly made good for the cost of repairs. Ed Wallace

http://www.rense.com/general85/eth.htm

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I think older vehicles have inadvertently been subjected to higher concentrations of ethanol than 10% due to improper blending at the distributor before.

That happened in central FL soon after stations began the statewide switchover from E0 to E10.

Most of the problems with older vehicles were due to fuel filter clogging.

Ethanol May Pose Problem For Older Vehicles

Quote:
Formula One Tire and Auto Care in Longwood is testing gasoline to diagnose engine problems. They said 10 percent ethanol can cause problems in vehicles six years and older by clogging fuel filters... In two of three cars tested, the gasoline had 11 or 12 percent ethanol.

How many gas stations will set up multiple tanks for all the blends, e10, e15.... Yeah right, NONE!!!!

Older vehicles will suffer. Their(eco-nut, enviro-weenie) idea is to get you out of that inefficient polluting vehicle and forcing you into something newer, like a sponsored Volt or Prius or bicycle or fancy new sneakers.

Its a hypocrisy. They have yet to measure the carbon released when manufacturing a new car + the carbon produced recycling an old car when compared to you just continuing to drive that old car a couple more years.

No one talks about the NASTY organic solvents produced when you burn E10/E15 in a car engine. They all end in 'zene'. Bad stuff.

It's pure political [censored]. No benefits at all. Unless you're a corn farmer.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
No one talks about the NASTY organic solvents produced when you burn E10/E15 in a car engine. They all end in 'zene'. Bad stuff.

It's pure political [censored]. No benefits at all. Unless you're a corn farmer.
It's hush enough that this is the 1st I've really heard of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back