What about older vehicles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read about our wonderful government and the tree huggers and EPA idiots raised the ethanol rate in fuel to 15% My question is say you have a 2000 dakota or a mid to late 90's gas vehicle; now what gasoline should or could you safely use in it without doing any harm??

let me know your info and insight as a friend of mine has a 92' dakota 3.9 v-6 with standard trans in it and he is wondering bout this subject.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,

ADAM IN PITTSBURGH

IF this goes through, E10 will still be available for older vehicles. E15 will have "for 2007 and newer vehicles only" or something to that effect on the pump.

Check your owners manual to see if it has an alcohol % limit. Mine (from 1989) says it can run up to 15% alcohol fuels.

I do share your (and many on here) sentiments regarding ethanol blended fuels though.

Last edited:
So if it goes to like 17% or higher, would you use something like MMO in your tank to counteract it? Friend was gonna look in his manual for the info. Its his daily driver and he usually uses kwik fill or BP gas so far no problems. I told him to try some MMO in his fuel tank.

ok ,now you got my attention. Please educate me alittle, from what i can recall ethanol is hard on the fuel pump right? Or what exactly happens? Got a couple mid nineties cars, what do you guys know about this ethanol increase in Canada?

Hello menezes, and from what little I know about alcohol/methanol/ethanol; its VERY CORROSIVE on fuel system, lines, fuel tank, injectors o rings etc. Hence its REAL BAD for gasoline fueled car designed to RUN ON NOTHING BUT REAL GASOLINE. If in a supercharged application it helps a lot cause of its 9:1 ratio. A wise man that does supercharger work in Punxsutawney(my hometown of 19 1/2 yrs) "alcohol is meant to drink, ethanol is meant for racing and so is methanol is for going ---- fast!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
So if it goes to like 17% or higher, would you use something like MMO in your tank to counteract it? Friend was gonna look in his manual for the info. Its his daily driver and he usually uses kwik fill or BP gas so far no problems. I told him to try some MMO in his fuel tank.

To be honest I haven't put that much thought into it. 15% IMO is borderline even though the manual says it can handle it, and I'll try to keep off it as long as I can. Clearly the way its trending I'll have to find some way of dealing with it that hopefully doesn't require re-plumbing the entire fuel system.

My 2010 Nissan and 2009 Honda both state no more than 10%. I guess the EPA knows more than the auto makers??? LOL

15% was approved but not required
it's the 10% that's required and i'm not gonna have a cow about the 15% until the EPA starts requiring it

Originally Posted By: sangyup81
15% was approved but not required
it's the 10% that's required and i'm not gonna have a cow about the 15% until the EPA starts requiring it

+1

Meh, 99% of everyone on the road now is fueling up with 10%. But since it's not required to go to 15% (and it wouldn't be require until the EPA says that everything below 2001 model can use it) your local gas station is not going to be spending the money to put in another tank and pump for just 15%. It's not even worth the time to worry about it for now.

Last edited:
If I had my way, there would be ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN YOU KNOW WHAT, THAT THE EPA, DEP, ANY TREE HUGGING, UN EDUCATED MORON AND INVALID WOULD BE ALLOWED TO PUT ANY ALCOHOL, ETHANOL OR METHANOL IN OUR FUEL PERIOD. These idiots need to go to school and realize that the stuff ruins fuel systems. I value my car and would hate to have to do a major repair on it. Honestly, the EPA AND DEP and whoever in my eyes have done nothing good in the U.S.A. to help us middle class, hard working people. I may buy a diesel sometime VERY, VERY SOON IN THE FUTURE. K20, I honestly think the EPA doesnt know much about their own ----- as if they did; diesel engines and heavy fuel engines on ships and waste oil boilers/heaters/furnaces would have emissions guidelines to meet also. I know some about emissions and will say its a good thing, but not my cup of tea as another way your/my state can make a buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another point I need to try to make: ALCOHOL, ETHANOL, METHANOL ARE ALL HYGROSCOPIC. If you know what this is you will know that all of the above are bad to put in gasoline also.

adam vasbinder

A bit of ethanol in gasoline is not bad in climates where moisture might condense in the fuel tank.

But 10% is already way too much in my book.

The corn ethanol sham has been discussed at length here on BITOG.

Silvercivic, it's not the tree buggers who are for ethanol (they are actually opposed to it strongly), it is the corn farmers and different corn corporations that would benefit. This is a sad path that the EPA has chosen and part of the fault lies with our strong motivation to not be so dependent on foreign oil. There are other forms of alternate fuel that, unlike ethanol which produces less energy than normal gasoline, actually produce just as much or even more. That is the path that we should be following.

Well I guess that if the government does or would mandate higher levels, I am in trouble. My owners manual states "your car can use fuel with a 10% ethanol content only".

Is it my imagination, or is there a conspiracy where the "powers that be" are doing everything they can to condemn older vehicles and force people to buy new cars? All in the name of moving our economy forward. First, cash for clunkers, now 15% ethanol.

I own three cars. The newest one is a 1995 model. I want to keep them running as long as I can. Corporate America would like to see me junk them. I have other plans for my money besides buying new cars I don't need, and I don't relish the idea of being forced to part with my old cars.

Originally Posted By: Silver_civic
I just read about our wonderful government and the tree huggers and EPA idiots raised the ethanol rate in fuel to 15%

I can not understand these university educated morons. It costs money and creates more pollution to produce and distribute alcohol to the refineries. I could understand using it if we didn't have anything else to use, but the claim about reducing our dependency on foreign oil is bogus when you consider our dependency on foreign countries for everything else we buy (Food and Consumer Products).

I think older vehicles have inadvertently been subjected to higher concentrations of ethanol than 10% due to improper blending at the distributor before. Probably most of them didn't notice.

Most of the American public won't notice anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back