What about a group buy program???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have belonged to other site that had this feature. Basicly we all decide on a brand and weight of oil to try. We then get 100-200 people to purchas some minium amount like 1-4 gallons per person. THen we all pre pay by a deadline date with paypal to BOBITOG or simalar. Then we wait for product to arive. Quite often we were able to products anywhere from 30%-70% cheaper then retail doing this! This way we could use the groups size to leverage better prices from smaller oil distributors. This way we could try Motul, Redline, Delvac 1 and do it rather cheaply!! Just an idea.

I'm certainly interested-as long as someone else does the work
smile.gif
Really I am open to trying almost any oil within reason. We would need to run the whole thing thru one of our sponsors, obviously.

[ July 08, 2003, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
I'm certainly interested-as long as someone else does the work
smile.gif
Really I am open to trying almost any oil within reason. We would need to run the whole thing thru one of our sponsors, obviously.

I concur with Al's comments and am interested as well.

I think this is really a good idea! Only problem I can see is getting the guys at this site to agree on a certain brand of oil!

If we could get some really good oil at a discount, by buying in quantity, this would be great! Imagine maybe being able to get Redline for 5 bucks a quart rather than 7 bucks a quart!

I definitely want to do this for schaeffers oil. I would particularly like to try and do a group purchase with people in the DE/MD/PA/NJ area so that we could get the free shipping and good bulk price and then meet up at a central point to distribute it.

Let me know

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
I definitely want to do this for schaeffers oil. I would particularly like to try and do a group purchase with people in the DE/MD/PA/NJ area so that we could get the free shipping and good bulk price and then meet up at a central point to distribute it.
Let me knowJMH

Within driving distance for me, I would consider this for Schaeffers also.

This is a great idea.

I'd suggest Delvac 1 since it's so **** hard for everyone to get. A group buy where a distributer simply pays the freight for a 1 case minimum order would be a good start.

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I have belonged to other site that had this feature. Basicly we all decide on a brand and weight of oil to try. We then get 100-200 people to purchas some minium amount like 1-4 gallons per person. THen we all pre pay by a deadline date with paypal to BOBITOG or simalar. Then we wait for product to arive. Quite often we were able to products anywhere from 30%-70% cheaper then retail doing this! This way we could use the groups size to leverage better prices from smaller oil distributors. This way we could try Motul, Redline, Delvac 1 and do it rather cheaply!! Just an idea.

I don't know what the profit margin is on all oil, but if it's anything like Amsoil, the savings wouldn't be all that much. Regular Amsoil has a approximate 28% mark-up to retail. Granted, the MLM nature of distribution drops the margin, but I don't know how far the other companies are from that number.

Besides, oil isn't cheap to ship, so you'd be looking at shipping charges to outweigh savings.
Of course, if you are ordering you oil via the mail, these charges would be paid anyways.

Here is an example of one of my first group buys at another site. Someone preposed leather seat covers. We found out the supplier to the manufacture and called them they offered our 300 buyers the covers at a price that was about 50% less then the dealership could buy them for. The best part was that the supplier shiped them to each member so shipping was in the price. They did this with power slot and brembo rotors and a lot of other parts. I just thought I would toss it out their and see if their was any interest. This is not my site and I am not a sponsor.

I am just guessing but I am thinking that any small blender like NEO or Redline would be happy to sell whole sale to a group willing to buy 200 gallons of oil. They would still have to charge shipping and ship to you. The reduced price takes some of the sting out of the shiping!! It might be worth while to aproach our Mobil 1 and Redline sponsors about this. I know the two oils most often asked about that are hard to find localy are Delvac 1 and Redline.

At any rate if people are interested in something like this it would have to go through Bob and get his aproval!! I am glad that this idea has generated some interest.
cheers.gif

i want some delvac1 or redline. that would be great. and it would also probably prompt some of the dino only members into trying synthetic, as synthetic price is about the only reason not to use the stuff.

the only problem, is that years from now, when we finally decide on what brand of oil to get, then we will need to decide what viscosity....

i would like somthing in the 40 to 50 weight. im sure alot of you guys are into the thinner oils, so theres going to be alot of debating on what to get...

and john, 200 gallons isnt that much, i might be inclined to buy 5-10 gallons all for myself if the price is right. im sure alot of other members would think similar to me, so we may see a group buy for 200-500 gallons depending....

I'd like to get Schaeffer full syn in a reasonable package (1 gal containers??). Maybe if we could get a big enough order, it could be done?

I'd like the "straight" 30 which is probably at least a 15w30 (VI=132) and has a HTHS of 5.0
shocked.gif

I have seriously considered buying some of this oil, but I really don't want to deal with the 5 gallon containers.

Redline 5W30 for $4 a quart. That would be a really sweet deal.
O, well.... Sweet dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back