What a day! And it's only 1p.

Pulled into work only to notice 2 giant skid marks all the way out the driveway. Our new truckdriver drove off without realizing that a set of shoes had rusted to a drum and destroyed 2 tires down to the rims! Total drag was about 4 miles!

Called the tire guy but he can't do them today but did leave them outside his house so I grabbed them. They are 17.5 rims and the 2 of us in the shop spent a couple hrs trying to get them on the rims but it just was not happening.

I took the tires and wheels to a tire store and watched them spend 2 hrs swapping them. They had 4 guys on them and fought them till the end.

Got back to the shop and put them back on the trailer.

Same driver called and said he was broke down on cajon pass. Looks like something got into the window on the hub,broke it and lost the oil.

So I had to go to a side of the freeway repair. Fortunately there are plenty of wide spots to safely work.

I'm not hanging my rump out in traffic.

At least I got out for a while vs staying in the shop all day.

So how much preventative maintenance and inspections are done to these trucks? How does this happen in Southern California?

So how much preventative maintenance and inspections are done to these trucks? How does this happen in Southern California?
I just did a 90 day on it a couple weeks ago. Shoes and drums are good. We had a rain a week ago and since it's a flatbed and is missing deck boards I guess the drums and shoes got wet. Once we broke them loose we could see where the shoes had rusted to the drums.

Pulled into work only to notice 2 giant skid marks all the way out the driveway. Our new truckdriver drove off without realizing that a set of shoes had rusted to a drum and destroyed 2 tires down to the rims! Total drag was about 4 miles!

Called the tire guy but he can't do them today but did leave them outside his house so I grabbed them. They are 17.5 rims and the 2 of us in the shop spent a couple hrs trying to get them on the rims but it just was not happening.

I took the tires and wheels to a tire store and watched them spend 2 hrs swapping them. They had 4 guys on them and fought them till the end.

Got back to the shop and put them back on the trailer.

Same driver called and said he was broke down on cajon pass. Looks like something got into the window on the hub,broke it and lost the oil.

So I had to go to a side of the freeway repair. Fortunately there are plenty of wide spots to safely work.

I'm not hanging my rump out in traffic.

At least I got out for a while vs staying in the shop all day.
Sounds like your driver had a Shleprock kind of day. We all have them every now and then.

They should film you one day on ‘Dirty Jobs’ TV show.

Safety first when working on the side of the road.

Last edited:
Old farmyard trick is to back up 5 feet or so first thing once hitched up. Gives you a heads up if something isn't quite right and can also help bust free frozen hubs.

Back