What 669,000 might buy you in a single family waterfront home in Cataldo, Idaho

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
From time to time, I post a home I find on the internet. I am retiring in 2024 (but will find and work a full-time job after retirement). My Wife and I are very far apart on where to move. I want dry and warm- she wants nature, green, etc. We have a limited budget, so we can't "buy" our way to both get what we want.

My Wife sent me this home she really likes in Catalado, ID. I like the home, but it is not a match for me, primarily lack of proper garage and bedroom on a second floor.

Of note- this home originally listed for 699k.

Of note, we were, and my Wife still is targeting Hot Springs, SD. Prices still through the roof in Hot Springs, SD. We are not seeing prices being reduced in Hot Springs, and the prices are "off the chart".

My observation currently is price drops are temporary and only in certain markets like Seattle, where prices gushed beyond anyone's wild dreams. With a housing shortage- how can prices truly fall.

Looks like a great buy if...
- You do not need good schools
- Are okay with limited choices for groceries and entertainment
- Are okay with being that close to water -umm flood? Flood insurance?

Hard pass for most people.

Seems to me like somewhere in the south central/ southeast would fulfill both of your desires? Although when you say dry does that mean low humidity or minimal rainfall?

Close to CDA Idaho. Lots of mosquitoes. It’s a reservoir off of the nearby river.

The CDA area is nice though.

300k buys a palace here.

Although there is a 5mil or so mansion hiding down the road a couple miles.

That much will buy you a nice beach house where I live. Warm enough but can get wet and sticky during the summer months and hurricanes are always a worry. Flood insurance is $$ but required by lenders. 🏝️

Lived in that area for some time. I would not choose to live in the Silver Valley. You're close to CDA, but you have to go through the pass to get to it. Nearest "big" town is Kellogg, which essentially is just a town built around a dealership. It's a very poor area, with many folks still left to find work in the mines. Wallace is kind of cool for a very, very small town. They filmed the movie "Dante's Peak" there, or at least parts of it.

Here's some nature for you:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/110-Naranga-Dr-Edgewater-FL-32132/48086240_zpid/
Problem with that one is its too nice for the neighborhood it's in.

Cataldo is not a good place to be in the winter! I used to drive through there often when I lived in Spokane, WA.

Thanks for the awesome comments/ feedback.

Our grandkids are in Denver, so we made a decision to only live west of the Mississippi. We are empty nesters, so schools are not an issue. But if never hurts to be in an area with good schools, regardless if one has school aged children.

The home in Idaho is nice, and the nicest waterfront home at that price point we have found. A lot is wrong with that home IMHO. I suspect the home is 2x4 construction, so insulation is not optimal. Heating will not be by natural gas. Winter energy costs will likely be pricey. Old people need ranches, old people fall down stairs and die. And no garage. But it was a fun home to look at.

For the record, we have lived in both North Carolina and South Carolina. The coastal towns like Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC are awesome, but they are growing in not only price, but in population. I have not been to Wilmington in over a decade. I have been to Charleston a few times in the past year, and even at 8am on a Sunday morning traffic was not so fun. The daytime traffic in Charleston seems to be starting to act like daytime traffic in Nashville, not fun.

No issue being that close to the water. The water brings in some troubles, but also a lot of benefits. The waterfront home we recently sold was a little under 2 acres. But with the water, those two acres had much more space available for viewing and recreation without having to pay for it.

Back