what 5w20 oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yep, its almost time to change the oil in my honda civic ex 2002, and im sticking with the 5w20 based on the results from the boards and seeing that my oil is still holding up well after 4100 mi. My question is what oil brand for 5w20 should i use for the first change cause im waiting for mobil 1 to come out with there 0w20 synthetic oil. And also what oil filter should i use, i was thinking the bosch premium?

I have been using the motorcraft 5w20 blend in my 2002 CRV. Like you, I am waiting until the mobil1 0w20 comes out next month. I have been using mobil1 oil filters. I have justified the high cost by the extended drain intervals Honda recommends.

The choices for 5w20 are pretty limited right now but if you want to go with a lower cost 5w20, Pennzoil is a great deal as it's actually 70% group 3.

For a full synthetic you could go with Royal Purple's 5w20.

It will be interesting to see what the viscosity of the Mobil 1 is when it comes out. Based on the fact that Mobil 1 is not very far above the level of a 20 wt now-the difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 may be essentially the color of the bottle.
frown.gif
Thats why I would just use the 30 wt. But thats just me. Not really suggesting you go this route.

I've been running the Amsoil 5w-20 synthetic for the last 4000 miles in my '95 Toyota pickup and can recommend that oil. I picked up about 1 mpg over the Amsoil 5w-30 and I've burned no oil during this period - the oil is still nice and amber on the dipstick. I figured it made sense to test this 5w-20 in colder weather, when my average oil temps are 10F-15F lower ....Next in line is the "synergyn" 0w-20 synthetic, which I expect to be even better in cold weather.

The formulation I am using is the older SJ/GF-2 rated stuff, by the way ...I haven't had the chance to use the SL/GF-3, XL-7500 formulations yet.

TooSlick

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
It will be interesting to see what the viscosity of the Mobil 1 is when it comes out. Based on the fact that Mobil 1 is not very far above the level of a 20 wt now-the difference between 5W-30 and 5W-20 may be essentially the color of the bottle.
frown.gif
Thats why I would just use the 30 wt. But thats just me. Not really suggesting you go this route.

Actually Al, the new Mobil 1 viscosity is going to be 0w20, not 5w20, so it should be quite a bit different formulation. I would expect it's viscosity at 100c to be similar to the other 20wts out there, in the 8.5 to 9.0 range.

If you can find a Honda dealer that will work with you, the Honda 5W20 is made for Honda by Mobil. I imagine it is very similar to Mobil Drive Clean. I just purchased some for $1.50 a quart. -Joe

mobil1 30wt oils are very low in the 30wt scale tho aren't they? I thought a mobil1 30wt oil was like 9.3 or 9.8 or something like that. I couldn't imagine it being too far off from the 5w20 it recommends. Unless movil is gonna go really low in the 20wt scale with their 0w20.

--Matt

[ December 21, 2002, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: mkosem ]

Kinematic, cSt @ 100°C

0W-40 0W-30 5W-30 10W-30 15W-50
14.4-__10.1____9.7____9.8_____17.4

(cP@150C, ASTM D 4683)
3.6____3.0____3.1_____3.2______5.1

from Mobil 1

[ December 21, 2002, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

My friend uses the Amsoil 7500 5w-20 in his Mustang. Personally, I wouldn't use a 5w-20...I'd go with a 30wt. I'd wait until the Mobil 1 0w-20 comes out. Amsoil's is only a group III oil and lacks Moly.

[ December 21, 2002, 04:36 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

why don't you try the Castrol GTX 5w-20, it seems to be loaded up with a good dose of moly, around 250 ppm or so based on the last sample we seen. For a conventional oil I would go with that, the factory fill Honda oil had a good dose of moly as well, but the refill Honda oil you get from the dealers doesn't have moly in it.

In the synthetic market the Synergyn product sounds very good ( I am now using their 5w-30 in my 2002 Civic SiR). The new Mobil1 formulation should be good, don't know much about it though. The Amsoil product sounds attractive as well, these would probably be my three choices in syns.

If it was me I would run the Castrol GTX 5w-20 until you are ready to venture into the synthetics. I put about 9000 miles on my engine with conventional oil before trying the Synergyn 5w-30 synthetic. Try to have an analysis done on whatever oil you choose, would be very interesting to see how they hold up. good luck.

[ December 21, 2002, 04:43 PM: Message edited by: Idrinkmotoroil ]

TooSlick,

I had the same good results as you using the old pao formulation of Amsoil 5w-20 in an older car. I have also been using that same oil in a 2003 Honda Pilot. I, too, will try the M1 0w-20 when it comes out, but since it isn't out yet I just today I had the Pilot's oil changed to M1 SS 0w-30. I didn't bother to do oil analysis on the old Amsoil 5w-20 since it is not offered anymore, but will test the M1 0w-30 and compare with the new 0w-20. Never done the analysis thing, but after becoming a fan of this board I realized that my obsession wasn't as sick as I thought.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
Patman, how do you learn that Pennzoil is 70% group 3?

From our good friend Johnny. I hope what he told me wasn't in confidence (although I doubt that type of info is something he would keep secret, since it shows that this oil is an excellent bargain, and is priced where all the group 3 oils should be priced, closer to $2) It's only their 5w20 that has this base oil BTW, not the 5w30, 10w30, 15w40, etc.

[ December 21, 2002, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
Patman, how do you learn that Pennzoil is 70% group 3?

From our good friend Johnny. I hope what he told me wasn't in confidence (although I doubt that type of info is something he would keep secret, since it shows that this oil is an excellent bargain, and is priced where all the group 3 oils should be priced, closer to $2) It's only their 5w20 that has this base oil BTW, not the 5w30, 10w30, 15w40, etc.

Also, keep in mind that the Motorcraft 5w20 "synthetic blend" (made by Conoco) has a healthy dose of Group III, and that's why Ford has decided to market the oil as a "synthetic blend." Conoco's Hydroclear 5w20, which (according to the Conoco engineer I exchanged e-mails with) is identical to the Motorcraft oil, is NOT marketed as a synthetic blend. Conoco does, however, bill their 5w20 as the most "advanced" PCMO they have ever produced.

I'd be willing to bet that virtually all 5w20 conventional oils use some Group III in the blend. Just as all oil companies had to go to Group II+ for GF-3 5w30, they probably need the Group III for GF-3 5w20.

[ December 21, 2002, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: XHVI ]

I believe that to be true. I think it's a given that all 5w20s sold out there right now have a better base oil than the same brand of 5w30/10w30.

im debating between mobils drive clean and castrol gtx right now for conventionals, and im trying to find a place in michigan thats close that sells royal purple 5w20.

I too am debating...still, on the most desireable 5W20 to use for an Escape that calls for 20W. Just put in Castrol, largely on the faith of a recent analysis posted here. Ran Motorcraft previously. But that oil had, what I viewed as "okay", but not impressive analysis results in my engine, which I posted here last July.

Meaningful information about 5W20 oils is hard to come by. On their web site, Motorcraft still lists data for their SJ 5W20, not SL. Can't find a data sheet on Castrol oil. And oil analysises on this brew are also rare. Patience is definitely in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back