We've Reached the Bottom of the Rabbit Hole: What Would You Buy?

The Camry takes a drop-in filter (is that the right term) and I look for a well-built filter with good, wide, top and bottom gaskets and metal end caps. There are only three filters that I know of that fit my requirements, Amsoil EA15K02, Royal Purple 20-967, and the TRD PTR43-00082 filters. If there are others, I'd sure like to know about them.

Although I look about for a good deal, even at the lowest price I've found, they're still more expensive than many other filters. I'm not complaining about the price, however, but like everyone else, I do like a good deal.

The Camry takes a drop-in filter (is that the right term) and I look for a well-built filter with good, wide, top and bottom gaskets and metal end caps. There are only three filters that I know of that fit my requirements, Amsoil EA15K02, Royal Purple 20-967, and the TRD PTR43-00082 filters. If there are others, I'd sure like to know about them.

Although I look about for a good deal, even at the lowest price I've found, they're still more expensive than many other filters. I'm not complaining about the price, however, but like everyone else, I do like a good deal.
I wish I could find a TRD that crosses with WIX 57502.

Typically called a "cartridge" filter (media assembly only), as opposed to a "spin-on" filter where the media assembly is inside a metal can that threads (spins) on to the engine.
Thanks ... I realized that later but it was too late to change my post. It was one of those situations where I just could not remember the name even though I knew it.

The Camry takes a drop-in filter (is that the right term) and I look for a well-built filter with good, wide, top and bottom gaskets and metal end caps.
That's odd, because the OEM cartridge filters have no end caps at all.
What do you know that the OEM doesn't?

Screenshot_20220715-134035_Walmart.jpg

View attachment 108232
I know what I like. And it should be noted that Toyota sells the TRD filter right over their parts counter, as they do other TRD accessories and they offer TRD-branded truck models. TRD is their specialized or high performance line. I can purchase TRD filters directly through Toyota dealers.

IMO, and the opinion of others, the thick gaskets on the ends of the cartridge filters provide better sealing and prevents or minimizes unfiltered oil from bypassing the filter.

I would purge all that useless info from my mind and buy whatever was cheapest or easiest to obtain and then I would go on with my life.

I would purge all that useless info from my mind and buy whatever was cheapest or easiest to obtain and then I would go on with my life.
I don't buy cheapest, the filters are very easy to obtain, and I've gone on very well with my life for the past 77 years.

Last edited:
I don't buy cheapest, the filters are very easy to obtain, and I've gone on very well with my life for the past 77 years.
It has been my experience with Honda, Toyota, Lexus and now Kia the OEMs are cheapest and/or very close to the cheapest.

The Camry takes a drop-in filter (is that the right term) and I look for a well-built filter with good, wide, top and bottom gaskets and metal end caps.

View attachment 108232
He's talking about the TRD cartridge filter, which is built with metal end caps.
I understand that completely.
My question still stands.
And he answered it when he stated his opinion.

Let's also not forget that @Shel_B's application here is a 2011 Camry 2.5 which is hardly anything exotic or special. He's just making his selection because it makes him feel better, which is completely his prerogative.

I'm just trying to note that there is absolutely zero technical justification for his choice, but feelings are important.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to note that there is absolutely zero technical justification for his choice, but feelings are important.
I'm thinking he likes the TRD filter because it's full synthetic and also much better efficiency than the regular Toyota oil filters. I'd call that a technical reason.
These are great reasons to like it.
That said it is completely unnecessary for the application. We should expect the OEM to design and specify a component that is fit for purpose. And the OEM filter with no end caps is just that.

My original question to @Shel_B was in preferring the TRD filter to the OEM filter, what did he know that the OEM didn't know that would result in him chosing TRD. He answered the question when he stated:
I know what I like.
This is fantastic in that it demonstrates that it is purely preferential and feelings based, not because of a required performance benefit.

The fact the the TRD filter has different features and performance characteristics is both true and irrelevant. If he feels he needs those extra features that's fine. But let's not pretend a TRD filter is needed for a successful ownership experience.

I'm thinking he likes the TRD filter because it's full synthetic and also much better efficiency than the regular Toyota oil filters. I'd call that a technical reason.
Bingo! Plus it has a very good build quality. And it perfectly compliments my billet TRD oil filler cap.

These are great reasons to like it.
That said it is completely unnecessary for the application. We should expect the OEM to design and specify a component that is fit for purpose. And the OEM filter with no end caps is just that.

My original question to @Shel_B was in preferring the TRD filter to the OEM filter, what did he know that the OEM didn't know that would result in him chasing TRD. He answered the question when he stated:

This is fantastic in that it demonstrates that it is purely preferential and feelings based, not because of a required performance benefit.

The fact the the TRD filter has different features is both true and irrelevant. If he feels he needs those extra features that's fine. But let's not pretend a TRD filter needed for a successful ownership experience.
Get a life ... sheesh!
What I don't understand is why anyone should give a rat's patoot what filter I choose and then waste time judging my choice and posting critical comments about.

Now back to my regularly scheduled programming.

Back