We've Reached the Bottom of the Rabbit Hole: What Would You Buy?

What would you buy?

WIX (Mexico): 7.4 oz total unit weight, 3 oz base plate, 44 pleat media (1.9 oz) that is 47" long, louvers, front end bypass, advertised 99% efficiency at 23 microns, $5.09

WIX (USA): 8.6 oz total unit weight, 3.8 oz base plate, 62 pleat media (2.7 oz) that is 49" long, louvers, dome bypass, advertised 99% efficiency at 23 microns, $5.09

Purolator One (blue can): 6.9 oz total unit weight, 3.3 oz base plate, 50 pleat media (no weight available) that is 45" long, advertised 99% efficiency at 20 microns, $6.67 (with rebate)

Microgard Select (Premium Guard rebadge): 11 oz total unit weight, 4.5 oz base plate, 55 pleat media (3.0 oz) that is 55", holes-not louvers, advertised 99% efficiency at 25 microns, $9.99

This was the only data I was able to reliably put together without entirely going off the deep end. There's some variation on the filters, so I'm not sure how scientific this is. But it does raise the question, would you prefer superior (advertised/stated) efficiency at a smaller micron size, beefier build, or preferred features utilized in the design? Or is cost the great equalizer? I've gone deep down the rabbit hole on this. Rationally, I know that it probably makes very little difference, but I just can't seem to help myself. What I do know is that I won't be shelling out $15 for another M1 filter, which is decidedly pretty average. Jury is still out on the new Fram Ultras (probably fine, but who knows). Just figured I'd give you some food for thought while I figure this out.

What are the important specs to you? Everyone will choose a filter based on different criteria. All of those oil filters have similar efficiency, so that would be hair splitting in the decision. Considering all factors, I'd probably go with the USA made WIX.

The Mircogard Select is most expensive, but it sure has nice construction IMO.

What are the important specs to you? Everyone will choose a filter based on different criteria. All of those oil filters have similar efficiency, so that would be hair splitting in the decision. Considering all factors, I'd probably go with the USA made WIX.

The Mircogard Select is most expensive, but it sure has nice construction IMO.

My OCIs are on an annual basis, so a $10.00 filter isn't a big deal. I'm mostly doing this for "sport" 😅. That said, even if I can afford a more expensive filter, it doesn't mean I want to lighten my wallet unnecessarily. My train of thought is I can buy two WIX filters for the price of that solidly-built Microguard Select and swap oil filters every 6 months, or just run the nice filter for the full OCI. I have a hard time deciding between quality of construction and advertised efficiency ratings, although I guess you can take those with a grain of salt anyway. To be honest, it's pretty tough to quantify 2-5% drop-off in efficiency versus a well made filter.

Wix USA.

What are you driving that will wear out the engine that much sooner unless you methodically select the absolute best oil filter?
I'm driving a 2012 Wrangler with the 3.6 Pentastar. A couple months ago, I noticed wear particulate in my drained oil, leading me to tear apart and rebuild the valvetrain, which is another story altogether. Since it was a lot of work, I'd like to keep the engine running nicely and cleanly. Mostly, I'm just being really picky, but it might be due to the fact that I installed a Baxter spin-on oil filter adapter which calls for one type of WIX and one type of Mobil 1 filter...but me being me, even after speaking with a company rep, I still feel the need to see if I can do better.

If your biggest concern is efficiency and cost doesn't factor in much, then just use a Fram Ultra. It should be around $10 at Walmart.
I'm about the last person to disparage Fram; I was even one of the early adopters of the Ultras and used them many times for various vehicles. What's your opinion on their redesign, having taken off the media support and moved features to the Titanium? There was a recent C&P that showed wavy pleats, but who knows if that really matters. An OG Ultra isn't guaranteed, so I figure it's a fair question.

My OCIs are on an annual basis, so a $10.00 filter isn't a big deal. I'm mostly doing this for "sport" 😅. That said, even if I can afford a more expensive filter, it doesn't mean I want to lighten my wallet unnecessarily. My train of thought is I can buy two WIX filters for the price of that solidly-built Microguard Select and swap oil filters every 6 months, or just run the nice filter for the full OCI. I have a hard time deciding between quality of construction and advertised efficiency ratings, although I guess you can take those with a grain of salt anyway. To be honest, it's pretty tough to quantify 2-5% drop-off in efficiency versus a well made filter.

I'm driving a 2012 Wrangler with the 3.6 Pentastar. A couple months ago, I noticed wear particulate in my drained oil, leading me to tear apart and rebuild the valvetrain, which is another story altogether. Since it was a lot of work, I'd like to keep the engine running nicely and cleanly. Mostly, I'm just being really picky, but it might be due to the fact that I installed a Baxter spin-on oil filter adapter which calls for one type of WIX and one type of Mobil 1 filter...but me being me, even after speaking with a company rep, I still feel the need to see if I can do better.
did you find anything wrong when you tore apart the drivetrain?

did you find anything wrong when you tore apart the drivetrain?
With those, it's a pretty well-documented thing that these early 3.6s, and some later on still, had rocker-rollers that wore out prematurely, wiping out cam lobes and sometimes the lifters. Luckily, the cams all looked fine, so they didn't need to be replaced. I only found that some of the roller bearings on the rockers were starting to gain resistance and a couple lifters were very slightly collapsed. I replaced all the rockers-rollers and lifters, did some other "while you're in there" work and buttoned it up. I didn't see anything particularly alarming otherwise. Seems to be running nicely and I'd like to prolong that condition. :)

I'm about the last person to disparage Fram; I was even one of the early adopters of the Ultras and used them many times for various vehicles. What's your opinion on their redesign, having taken off the media support and moved features to the Titanium? There was a recent C&P that showed wavy pleats, but who knows if that really matters. An OG Ultra isn't guaranteed, so I figure it's a fair question.
Fram claims the new designed Ultra has even better efficiency specs, based on a specific filter model they made the comparisons. Been a few threads in the last 6 months discussing all of that.

Yes, a few C&Ps have shown some "wavy" pleats, but iirc, the poster said the media was very hard to tear, so that's positive. For me, a few wavy pleats wouldn't stop me from using any specific oil filter if the filtering specs were very good and that was my main goal in an oil filter.

by cutting it open before using it, cut off the media, regluing it back together, and then welding the can back together....gawd, get it together Pim.
This is where Superman's X-ray vision comes in handy. 😄

1649370890720.jpg

Well, prices on the WIX just doubled since the last week. I guess I should've pulled the trigger and bought them out. Now the Microgard Select is looking pretty good. Or I'll wait for some Donaldsons. This market and supply chain stuff is ridiculous.

Back