Wet Shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here gone back to the old way of shaving with brush and soap and a double edged safety razor?

I've used the throwaway razors for the last few year and have finally gotten tired of the results. Returned to the double edged razor and now get close shaves.

Just wondering?

I shave in the shower with conditioner. No mirror, no cream.

I might cut myself with a straight razor...

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Has anyone here gone back to the old way of shaving with brush and soap and a double edged safety razor?

I've gone partially back to the old way. I'm using a proper badger hair brush and shaving cream that's squeezed out of a tube. But I still use my old Gillette Fusion razors.

There is something about the lather, and the brush applying it to your face that makes it somewhat of a ritual, and I like it a lot. Proper shaving cream/soap is also much nicer than the typical shaving gel that comes out of a can.

With a goatee, no mirror = fail. I shave in the shower with throw away Mach 3's which are good for about 7-10 shaves(pending if i dry them and put them away from the moisture). I'd love a barber's razor but i'd probably end up cutting my throat on it ;}

I, too, shave in the shower. I use Ivory soap. Sometimes a mirror. Razors last met for weeks and weeks. I use triple edge razors.

Right now I'm working on a beard and only shave the neck and above the ears.

I found a straight razor in Dad's things after he died. I promptly cut my thumb with it. Yeah, they're sharp. Too sharp for me.

I've gone back to the old school 10 minute wet shave, but I do use modern multi-blade razors. I soak a washcloth in hot water and hold it against my face for a minute to heat things up, then apply Shave Secret shave oil, then apply Aveeno therapeutic shave gel and shave away. Always shave with the grain.

It's the only way I can get a good shave without mutilating my face.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Always shave with the grain.

If I do that, my face does not feel smooth. I shave with the grain, re-lather, and then shave again against the grain.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I use Nair.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I use Nair.

So thats why your face is always red....I just thought you were a raging alcoholic???...jk

I've been using a brush, shaving soap, and a double edge for the past 35 years. Except when I am spending the night away from home, then I use my wet/dry Norelco.

When I was younger and had a steady hand, and the time, I used a straight edge.

I use an Edwin Jagger DE89L double edge razor (with Feather blades) and Real Shaving Company shaving cream. This cream works equally well with or without a brush, and I generally use it without.

edwin-jagger-de89l__41565_zoom.jpg
feather-razor-blades.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back