Wet shaving with a DE "safety razor".

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using one for twenty years. This may sound strange, but the ever present risk of nicks and cuts adds to the enjoyment of this type of razor.

Also, if you tend to get ingrown hairs (like I do) this type of razor will virtually eliminate that.

When I shave, I use a safety razor. Normally I have a beard, but I don't skimp on the beard. I have an Oster Classic 76 and an Andis T-Trimmer. Worth every penny over the junk trimmers that are intended for beards.

I like a good, sharp pair of barber scissors for maintaining facial hair. That is primarily because I tend to become compulsive about evenness and end up taking off too much with an electric trimmer. The scissors allow me to cut one hair at a time.

Aside from that, there's a reason that companies around the world are still making DE razors (from cheap all the way to outrageously expensive) and blades. It's truly effective and economical.

I went back to my old Gillette TTO earlier this year after a decade or so of shaving with an electric. Since then I've found several other vintage razors at auctions-I didn't know there was a market for old razors.

I keep a Schick Krona, a Gillette TTO, Gillette red tip and a Gillette adjustable in my razor stand. I've sold a number of old razors that I bought at auction and cleaned up, including a couple of "fat boys", Auto Strops and shovel head razors.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I like a good, sharp pair of barber scissors for maintaining facial hair. That is primarily because I tend to become compulsive about evenness and end up taking off too much with an electric trimmer. The scissors allow me to cut one hair at a time.

Aside from that, there's a reason that companies around the world are still making DE razors (from cheap all the way to outrageously expensive) and blades. It's truly effective and economical.

The number of blade types is overwhelming. I'll probably invest in a sample pack this weekend. I'm using a inexpensive Chinese razor that was packaged with German blades. I might buy a slightly more aggressive razor in a couple of months.

Yep, been pretty happy with a DE blade. It takes longer than an electric, but it's a much better shave. I think I've got the hang of minimizing nicks.

I use either a Merkur 34c or Parker 99R.

I've been using a DE for years as well...the tricky part for me was finding the right blades...I have a heavy beard and apparently it calls for a blade of a certain sharpness...too sharp seems to be as bas as not sharp enough as far as nicks and irritation go, but I have found a couple that work well...Astra Super platinums are nice...I also like Personna reds....

I collect fountain pens and pencils, and I know a lot of people like myself that have an affinity for antique writing instruments also are into straight razors, etc. but I've never tried them myself. I have no issues with using a standard Gillette Fusion or something similar as my facial hair is somewhat weird. An electric razor will not work with how soft/fine my facial hair is. I wouldn't mind trying a straight razor someday, but knowing my luck I'd probably cut myself on accident.
crazy.gif

OP, we are sorta one in the same... I just switched last week too, lol.

I had been electric for so long because of sensitive skin, but the DE is working itself out nicely for me. I have had so many issues that I went to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up a cheap razor in case it didn't help, I wouldn't have wasted a bunch of money. I did a ton of research on actual blades and went with Astra platinums. Bought a badger hair brush on Amazon and shaving soap from Meijer for $2.

I am not getting any bleeding already and irritation is now minimal - I shave every other day. I am going to get a better soap - the Meijer one isn't great. Another thing I did is incorporate baby oil on a wet face to help the razor glide. So far, I am happy and will be investing in a better razor soon.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Q: Looking for suggestions on a travel DE razor. Obviously I can't take it on a plane (carry on)

I am also in the same boat here. I have a business trip in a week.. I am looking for answers too. I know we can get the actual razor through security, but IDK what to do about blades.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I collect fountain pens and pencils, and I know a lot of people like myself that have an affinity for antique writing instruments also are into straight razors, etc. but I've never tried them myself. I have no issues with using a standard Gillette Fusion or something similar as my facial hair is somewhat weird. An electric razor will not work with how soft/fine my facial hair is. I wouldn't mind trying a straight razor someday, but knowing my luck I'd probably cut myself on accident.
crazy.gif

The problem I have with razors like the Fusion is the outrageous cost of the replacement cartridges...sorry, but I'm not paying $5 or more per cart, and certainly not when I can buy 100 DE blades for $15, or 10 Trac II carts for $3-$5 and get as good of a shave, or better...

A while ago I looked into the chemistry and science of shaving and changed how I go about it, for the better.

Hair, like fingernails, softens when wet, so I always shave after a shower, and the first thing I do in the shower is soak my beard. I then use a pre-shave preparation and scrub with my fingernails around the throat area to tease up any potential ingrowers. When finished I don't dry my face, but go straight to the sink to shave, using shave gel and a Gilette Fusion Mach 3.

I used to shave any old time of day and the results always led to irritation, which I put down to sensitive skin. Now I rarely get any issues. A sharp blade helps.

If I take a soak in the tub I can shave without any soap at all - the stubble is so soft and the skin lubricated with perspiration. However, I find that a small amount of soap does help show where you have and haven't yet shaved.

I was having good luck with Wilkinson Sword blades from WalMart. Now they don't carry them in my local store. Guess I'm going to have to buy a sample pack and then start buying online.

Originally Posted By: lugNutz
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Q: Looking for suggestions on a travel DE razor. Obviously I can't take it on a plane (carry on)

I am also in the same boat here. I have a business trip in a week.. I am looking for answers too. I know we can get the actual razor through security, but IDK what to do about blades.

You're kind of stuck because of TSA rules. Gonna need to pick up a standard off the shelf piece, I bought disposables for this purpose, or check your bag. I never check my bag.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
crazy.gif

The problem I have with razors like the Fusion is the outrageous cost of the replacement cartridges...sorry, but I'm not paying $5 or more per cart, and certainly not when I can buy 100 DE blades for $15, or 10 Trac II carts for $3-$5 and get as good of a shave, or better...

I can understand the cost issues. I tend to only shave a couple of times a month (basically when it just gets too unruly), so I do not go through very many cartridges at all. If I was to shave every day, I'd most likely try to find a more cost effective option.

I'm hooked on DE razors as well. I have a Merkur 38C and an Edwin Jagger DE89. My facial complexion has improved using them as I don't get as many ingrown hair pimples.

I recently bought some Poraso shaving cream. OMG.....the stuff they sell in cans SUCKS compared to quality real shaving cream with all natural ingredients. It is so much slicker and healthy feeling on your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back