Wet clutch, diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the spec listed on the bottle should I be looking for use in wet clutches. I need a 15/40wt diesel oil.

Originally Posted By: passgas55
What is the spec listed on the bottle should I be looking for use in wet clutches. I need a 15/40wt diesel oil.
I am sure you need a HDEO oil.

One certification to look for is JASO MA, meaning that the Japanese standards organization has approved the oil for wet clutches (no friction modifiers added). JASO MA is what many motorcycle owners look for in an oil.

Aside from Shell Rotella I'm not sure that any of the HDEOs carry the JASO compliance on their label. But that does not mean they won't meet the requirement, they may have just not seen the need for the test since it is primarily a motorcycle concern. Rotella just started putting it on the bottle recently but many have known for a long, long time that it is a great shared sump oil for wet clutch performance. Shell aaparently thought to put all questions to rest by carrying the JASO compliance. Smart move as it is one of the most popular MC oils on the market.

Originally Posted By: passgas55

Allison C4 is the wet clutch spec used on HDEO. It was developed for commercial power-shift transmissions and also works well on motorcycles.

Here's the official list.
https://fdlrd.swri.org/Allison/ApprovedFluidsList.aspx?Id=1
Set the filter on that page for North America and Engine oil to shorten the list.

Cool site. I'm surprised by the absence of some North American 15W40 motor oils. Shell Rotella (Rimula is), Valvoline Premium Blue, etc.

Delvac, Delo, Motorcraft are there though.

Thanks for the info. I use Chevron Delo 400 LE 15w/40 in my tractor and wanted to use the same oil in my 4 wheeler.

Bsically any oil with low to no moly(HDEO)will Work,a MC cert oil is just a moly free oil nothing special at ALL!!!

pick a diesel HDEO and run it,you'll have no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back