Wet Brakes specific type fluid of fluid chemistry?

I know wet clutches can be finicky and need a particular type of FM, The question I have for a Hydrostat System with a wet brake does it really matter if there is a FM or not, or is this something that need to be considered.

I know people will say what does Owners manual say. But I am curious of the chemistry requirements for a wet brake vs a wet clutch.

Thx.

There is an FM to prevent chatter.

Also included is an AntiWear agent such as ZDDP and TPP, and obviously metal and rust inhibitors.

There is an FM to prevent chatter.

Also included is an AntiWear agent such as ZDDP and TPP, and obviously metal and rust inhibitors.
Thx, What is TPP? So other than chatter for a brake that won't be as apparent as a clutch?

Thx, What is TPP? So other than chatter for a brake that won't be as apparent as a clutch?

TPP is Triphenyl Phosphite a multi-functional anti-wear booster.

I am not sure what you're asking in the last sentence, maybe clarify please.

TPP is Triphenyl Phosphite a multi-functional anti-wear booster.

I am not sure what you're asking in the last sentence, maybe clarify please.
I am just going down a rabbit hole, since for wet clutches you need the JASO/MA spec but I don't recall ever seeing any specs for wet brakes, even though clutch and brake material generally similar.

Is it because for brakes the pressure is applied to a spinning mass and most clutch chatter occurs when pressure is applied to starting a static mass?

I am just going down a rabbit hole, since for wet clutches you need the JASO/MA spec but I don't recall ever seeing any specs for wet brakes, even though clutch and brake material generally similar.

Is it because for brakes the pressure is applied to a spinning mass and most clutch chatter occurs when pressure is applied to starting a static mass?
The FM is simply preventing "stick-slip" action whether the clutch or brake material is in the form of a disk or band.

Last edited:

Have a look at Caterpillar TO-4 and TO-4M drivetrain fluids.

Back