Westinghouse Wgen9500 fuel valve actuation in generator shed

I just built a generator shed behind my detached garage and have everything power in. Its a backup generator so it will sit for a while with gas in it until it is needed. I plan to drain and refill with fresh gas twice a year. (Its only 6 gallons) that my lawn mower and boat will gladly eat up.

When I'm done running the generator, I turn the fuel valve off and let the engine until it quits. I don't drain the bowl since its too hard to get to but I have not had issue with pressure washers and the like that I use in a similar manner. I do use seafoam and Marine Stabil 360 in the fuel at maintenance dose levels.

Do any of you know if the carb has an electric fuel shutoff valve? This way I could turn off the manual valve to run the engine dry then turn the fuel valve back on once it stops. The electric valve will prevent fuel from running into the carb when done. The only concern there is do the electric fuel cutoff valves leak?

Appreciate yaull thoughts!

thanks

I just built a generator shed behind my detached garage and have everything power in. Its a backup generator so it will sit for a while with gas in it until it is needed. I plan to drain and refill with fresh gas twice a year. (Its only 6 gallons) that my lawn mower and boat will gladly eat up.

When I'm done running the generator, I turn the fuel valve off and let the engine until it quits. I don't drain the bowl since its too hard to get to but I have not had issue with pressure washers and the like that I use in a similar manner. I do use seafoam and Marine Stabil 360 in the fuel at maintenance dose levels.

Do any of you know if the carb has an electric fuel shutoff valve? This way I could turn off the manual valve to run the engine dry then turn the fuel valve back on once it stops. The electric valve will prevent fuel from running into the carb when done. The only concern there is do the electric fuel cutoff valves leak?

Appreciate yaull thoughts!

thanks
Is that a dual fuel ?

Yes it is and this is my backup plan to use propane but there are concerns there too. I want to be able to start and run the generator during a thunder storm without leaving covered walkway (house -> breezeway -> detached 2.5 car garage). If I have to run out in the rain to open the generator shed and open valves, etc on the the generator, that kills the deal. The keyfob makes this generator is perfect for that if I can figure out the fuel shutoff method. I thought about getting a longer propane hose and run the tanks inside the garage so I can turn the tank valve on and off when running on propane. I do have some concerns about pressure drop on longer (10') propane lines and further reducing the max output of my generator to the point where it can't start my 4 ton ac with soft start. It run the AC fine on gasoline but does bog the generator a noticeable amount for a second when it starts. I haven't tried it with propane yet but I suspect the bog will be deeper and longer. Need to test that out.

Also with propane, I would need to ventilate the tanks when in storage and use. This would require cutting some vents in my garage walls. Not impossoble but not desired. If I can get the gasoline valve figured out, I have 25 gallons in my boat as a reserve tank for longer outages.

I'm not looking for go off grid but if the lights are off for a day or two I would like to be able to comfortably bridge the gap.

I would keep a couple gallons of E0 in the tank and not bother running it dry, just start it every couple of months and run it for 5 or 10 minutes. If you were ever to need to put it into service, just fill it with regular pump once the E0 is out (or anytime really), then drain the ethanol fuel and restore with E0.
Mine is a tri-fuel, set up to run on natural gas, so I gotta go out and purge it, so I know I'm going to get wet. Mine is in a sound deadened enclosure.
You'll need at least a 100lb propane tank if you plan to run it on that, it'll freeze a 20Lb tank up.

Thats a good idea. I will need to do something after the first tank is empty.

Just need to find E0 around here. With all the boats and water its fairly scarce.

I have 2 Westinghouse 9500 Dual Fuel gen sets. I run 0 Ethanol 93 Octane in both of them. (The race boats around here use a ton of it). I then treat the fuel with a healthy dose of Pri-G, and I don't run them out of fuel. I shut them down by turning off the the fuel petcock, then shut down about 15 seconds later. I've never had an issue at startup.

Tomorrow I'm going to change the oil in both of them, and I'm going with Mobil 1, 15W-50. It gets pretty hot here in the Summer, and I think the higher viscosity 15W-50 is a good choice. Especially when you consider we have the most power outages in the hottest temperatures, when A/C is running the most.

If I may ask, what did it run you to have a "Soft Start" put on your A/C system?

Noticed a few of us have the WGen9500 - got mine in August 2020 …

Last night we lost power - folks saw a flash at the facility …
Our grid - protected in weather events - was to be down 4 hours …
Well, went to crank the gen to find the original battery too weak …
Jumped it and ran the gen a couple hours …

Today I found a nice AGM at Walmart - $100 with taxes/fees …

6923047C-074C-476C-AE1C-A123428CDDF8.jpeg

Noticed a few of us have the WGen9500 - got mine in August 2020 …

Last night we lost power - folks saw a flash at the facility …
Our grid - protected in weather events - was to be down 4 hours …
Well, went to crank the gen to find the original battery too weak …
Jumped it and ran the gen a couple hours …

Today I found a nice AGM at Walmart - $100 with taxes/fees …

View attachment 140856
Put it on a battery tender to keep it charged and ready for next time.

I’m trying to find the one that came with gen - it was a very low amp trickle whereas I have 3 and 10 chargers …
You don't want a trickle charger. It will ruin the battery over time with the constant current flow.
You want a "tender" or "maintainer". These will actually turn off and monitor the battery until it drops below 95% charge, then they turn on, charge it up and turn off again.

You don't want a trickle charger. It will ruin the battery over time with the constant current flow.
You want a "tender" or "maintainer". These will actually turn off and monitor the battery until it drops below 95% charge, then they turn on, charge it up and turn off again.
I might have miss quoted - but a tender came with it - it actually uses a port on the control panel
Just 750 ma output ?

Last edited:
My 9500 has a power switch with an LED indicator that would drain the battery if I left it on, but it must be on in order for the remote start to work. Do you just leave it on all the time? I don't understand how you're starting it without going out to it.

My 9500 has a power switch with an LED indicator that would drain the battery if I left it on, but it must be on in order for the remote start to work. Do you just leave it on all the time? I don't understand how you're starting it without going out to it.
Me ? I don’t use the remote … I have to open my shop door to let the fumes vent - a box fan helps with that ..

I have a similar (not dual-fuel) Westinghouse 9500 and have had several issues with gas gumming up the carb even with fuel stabilizers. Last time it was easier to replace the carb for $30 than it was to disassemble the carb and clean it because all the cheap screws strip the moment you touch them.

I have a similar (not dual-fuel) Westinghouse 9500 and have had several issues with gas gumming up the carb even with fuel stabilizers. Last time it was easier to replace the carb for $30 than it was to disassemble the carb and clean it because all the cheap screws strip the moment you touch them.
Get a JIS screwdriver, you will no longer strip out screw heads on Asian rim made ''Phillips head'' screws.

I have had many gens and got tired of that - so far I have not put gasoline in the tank

Back