West Virgina trip on bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
A buddy and I took a weekend ride down to west Virginia and rode the Midland Trail Hwy-60 and some of route 41 around the new river gorge area. I was a good trip overall, except my buddy wrecked his FZ09 on the midland trail twisties. He was ok and the bike was able to be ridden back home. Mostly cosmetic damage.

Here are some photos of a few parts of the trip.

][/url]

][/url]

][/url]

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
A buddy and I took a weekend ride down to west Virginia and rode the Midland Trail Hwy-60 and some of route 41 around the new river gorge area. I was a good trip overall, except my buddy wrecked his FZ09 on the midland trail twisties. He was ok and the bike was able to be ridden back home. Mostly cosmetic damage.

Beautiful scenery. No severe injury in a bike wreck was very lucky.

Originally Posted By: hpb
At least crashing a naked bike isn't usually a wallet busting experience! Any pics of the damage?

I did not snap any pics of the damage. Basically it consisted of a bent radiator, but not leaking surprisingly. A dented tank and broken mirrors. Scrapes on the headers and plastic on the right side. His front brake lever also broke off. We spend the afternoon Friday looking for a semi-universal lever in BFE WV. Long story short we met a super nice guy at a place called Horsepower Unlimited in small town southern WV.

He was lucky to only have a bruised butt and a hurt pride. Thank God.

For sure it's good he's ok! Be interesting to see if his insurance repairs it or not. Any scratches or marks on the frame or swingarm usually see bikes written off ("totaled") over here. Keep us updated! BTW did he crash all on his own, or was another vehicle involved?

Originally Posted By: hpb
For sure it's good he's ok! Be interesting to see if his insurance repairs it or not. Any scratches or marks on the frame or swingarm usually see bikes written off ("totaled") over here. Keep us updated! BTW did he crash all on his own, or was another vehicle involved?

He crashed on his own. Lost traction in a turn and regained it only to run wide and off the road into a yard/fence line. He was following me. I was alerting him over our sena headsets that my Traction control light was flickering when accelerating hard out of the apex and to take it easy.

He has a hard compound Continental touring tire on his bike and no TCS.

I have battilax S20 Hypersports and I had TCS set on level 2 which is the most intrusive. He tends to push things a little harder than I do. This section of road on the midland trail last about 5 miles around the eagles nest lookout and it has a lot of switchbacks that will keep you on your toes. A fantastic ride for sure!

Think I've been where that last picture was taken. Wanted to go swimming, but the water was ice cold. Is there a bridge downstream, closeby?

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Think I've been where that last picture was taken. Wanted to go swimming, but the water was ice cold. Is there a bridge downstream, closeby?

Yes the gauley bridge is only a couple miles away from this area.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Whatever you do... do NOT speed through the town of Gauley Bridge, WV.

+1 there is always a cop sitting at the little corner store right pass the small bridge. I've been down the midland trail 3 times and every time there has been a state trooper sitting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back