'We're going to electrify the F-Series,' Ford exec says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GrtArtiste
Originally Posted by philipp10
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/16/ford-f-150-electric-pickup-truck/2595515002/

I'm not against electric vehicles in principle, but right now this sounds a lot more like a nice pipe dream that will take years to achieve. The problems that need to be overcome are not small, and I'm not convinced that truck drivers want an all-electric truck and the the differences they will need to accommodate in order to pay for and drive one. If now is the time to make this claim, it sure would be nice to hear something (rather than nothing) about how they plan to get it done.

GrtArtiste

how do you figure it will take years to achieve? The technology is there....all they have to do is implement (design it)....You make it sound like they are sending a man to Mars...

I see you live in MN. Is an all-electric truck going to heat your cab in the winter and defrost your windows so you can see to drive it? And run your wipers-headlights-turn signals-radio-gps? Will you be able to go very far driving it in snow or after the sun goes down? Are going to be limited by driving only part of the vehicle's range, or will you be able to charge it quickly anywhere? Some folks will want A/C in the summer...will an all-electric truck do that? Lots of unanswered questions.

not really.....I see Teslas around here all the time. They have wipers and AC...right? Headlights and AC is a pittance to the energy it takes to move the car. Personally I think the cold weather states will be the last to adopt.....but there are plenty of warm states to use them.

Last edited:
How bad can it be, in cold weather states? I mean, it's going to be plugged in all night, right? So when it goes to warm up, 10 minutes before you leave, it pulls that from... your house. It could even turn on battery heaters and not touch battery charge, and get "full range" right off the bat.

Some employers are putting in charging stations too.

Headlights and AC is a pittance to the energy it takes to move the car. Personally I think the cold weather states will be the last to adopt.....but there are plenty of warm states to use them.

You put them together … headlights and AC/heating...then refer to "pittance"

You are demonstrating that you understand neither.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Headlights and AC is a pittance to the energy it takes to move the car. Personally I think the cold weather states will be the last to adopt.....but there are plenty of warm states to use them.

ahhh headlights are LED's, Super efficient. AC takes a bit of power. No matter how you slice it, people ARE driving Tesla's and using AC. Not sure how you think the typical commute won't be within range of an electric car. All that said, I won't touch a Tesla until the price lands where its as cheap as an ICE car, period.

Last edited:
As phillip10 pointed out, there are plenty of Teslas on the road already here. so lets quit acting like an electric vehicle can't work at all in a cold weather location. Do they have significantly less range in the winter? No doubt, but that does not mean there is no application for them.

If folks are surprised that an automaker is interested in electrifying what is their best selling vehicle, they aren't paying attention.

A family member has a plug in electric hybrid, and for his use, it works perfect. 9+ months out of the year, he runs on nearly all electricity, and in the winter, uses the gas engine a lot more. It fits his commute to work daily perfectly, and nets a significantly lower cost per mile for fuel (including electricity) than the gas version of the same car would yield. Seems like a win win.

ahhh headlights are LED's, Super efficient. AC takes a bit of power. No matter how you slice it, people ARE driving Tesla's and using AC. Not sure how you think the typical commute won't be within range of an electric car.

Like I said...combining them into one simple statement displays a lack of understanding of either … "a bit of power"...what's the quantum and reduction in range attributable to it.

then you strawman me in claiming that I've suggested that an EV (specifically a Tesla) won't have the range to be a commuter car...

NOTE...I NEVER SUGGESTED THAT...strawmanning to bolster your false argument doesn't strengthen it.

The thread is about electrification of an F series, the discussion turned to range reduction in cold weather.

Yes Teslas exist...I've even seen them with my own eyes, so NO, I am not denying their existence or utility...so please don't claim that I am.

Originally Posted by supton
Which ICE car? There's cheap and expensive ones.

well I would think comparable size and ride. The Tesla Model 3, to me, is comparable to a high end Mazda 3.....so maybe worth 25k?

ahhh headlights are LED's, Super efficient. AC takes a bit of power. No matter how you slice it, people ARE driving Tesla's and using AC. Not sure how you think the typical commute won't be within range of an electric car.

Like I said...combining them into one simple statement displays a lack of understanding of either … "a bit of power"...what's the quantum and reduction in range attributable to it.

then you strawman me in claiming that I've suggested that an EV (specifically a Tesla) won't have the range to be a commuter car...

NOTE...I NEVER SUGGESTED THAT...strawmanning to bolster your false argument doesn't strengthen it.

The thread is about electrification of an F series, the discussion turned to range reduction in cold weather.

Yes Teslas exist...I've even seen them with my own eyes, so NO, I am not denying their existence or utility...so please don't claim that I am.

ah...the old internet troll pops out of his shell. Go re-read your original post to me. I understand heat, ac and wipers take energy. I get that....but to act as if that makes an F series electric a non starter shows YOUR lack of understanding. Do you really think Ford is going to bet the farm if they have not done their homework? The world is not static....batteries will more than likely be much better in 5 years when the F-Elect arrives.

Last edited:
Guess its good to use them around LA, San Diego, etc … places that don't need lots of HVAC energy … but might need cleaner air … and deal with high fuel prices …

Perhaps the lesson Tesla's going to provide is make progress … but at the right pace and place …

ah...the old internet troll pops out of his shell. Go re-read your original post to me. I understand heat, ac and wipers take energy. I get that....but to act as if that makes an F series electric a non starter shows YOUR lack of understanding. Do you really think Ford is going to bet the farm if they have not done their homework? The world is not static....batteries will more than likely be much better in 5 years when the F-Elect arrives.

Suggest that YOU reread my post...I was replying to YOUR statement that they take a "pittance"...not making a statement on either electric vehicles as commuters, OR the F series electric...simply replying to your "pittance" statement.

Even in a world with better batteries...it's not a "pittance", either singularly or combined.

Strawmanning does not make your lack of understanding correct, nor define my position...because it isn't my position, regardless of how you would like to paint it.

Suggest that YOU reread my post...I was replying to YOUR statement that they take a "pittance"...not making a statement on either electric vehicles as commuters, OR the F series electric...simply replying to your "pittance" statement.

Even in a world with better batteries...it's not a "pittance", either singularly or combined.

Strawmanning does not make your lack of understanding correct, nor define my position...because it isn't my position, regardless of how you would like to paint it.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/atv-ev.shtml

Here....I don't know what a pittance is to you. Here are some facts......looks pretty small to me.

Last edited:
The A/C costs about a KW to run on average....that's not a pittance..yes, it's ONLY 6% of what a Tesla uses at 55MPH...but it's not a "pittance".

Headlights are what ???? maybe 100W all up.

They AREN'T comparable, (your initial statement was that combined they are a pittance), and they aren't negligible.

Can't find the data or A/C loads when it's heating, nor heating the batteries.

The A/C costs about a KW to run on average....that's not a pittance..yes, it's ONLY 6% of what a Tesla uses at 55MPH...but it's not a "pittance".

Headlights are what ???? maybe 100W all up.

They AREN'T comparable, (your initial statement was that combined they are a pittance), and they aren't negligible.

Can't find the data or A/C loads when it's heating, nor heating the batteries.

"pittance" is a non technical term. Numbers are all that matter. Like I have stated in other posts, electric cars, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, are probably not good in cold climates. But batteries are changing fast. Watch and see. In a decade, heating the interior of your car WILL be a pittance.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2019/01/16/ford-f-150-electric-pickup-truck/2595515002/

I'm not against electric vehicles in principle, but right now this sounds a lot more like a nice pipe dream that will take years to achieve. The problems that need to be overcome are not small, and I'm not convinced that truck drivers want an all-electric truck and the the differences they will need to accommodate in order to pay for and drive one. If now is the time to make this claim, it sure would be nice to hear something (rather than nothing) about how they plan to get it done.

GrtArtiste

In 1979, Florida authorities said they planned to electrify Ted Bundy, and it took 'em about ten years to plug him in. I'd guess about the same time frame applies.

...electric cars, AT THIS POINT IN TIME, are probably not good in cold climates. But batteries are changing fast. Watch and see. In a decade, heating the interior of your car WILL be a pittance.

Batteries ARE changing fast. Toyota is introducing Lithium ion traction batteries to their hybrid lines. Cars so equipped are currently distinguished by the -eco suffix. My Prius Two-Eco has a L-ion battery whereas a Prius Two has NiMH. The lithium cars get about five mpg better than the NiMH ones do! I LIKE my lithium car! But that's beside the point.... The batteries are constantly getting better. In another ten years, today's great new batteries will look (and be) inefficient.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Okay so your electric truck is rated at a certain range.. what happens when you throw a full trailer on the back, or load up the bed? Range drops substantially.

No thanks.

Ummmm, exactly the same thing happens when you load up a gasoline or diesel truck...🙄 Difference? Every time you step on the brake pedal in an electric or hybrid, you're actually refueling the vehicle. No gasser can do that trick! Of course, this does not include ancient tech electrics with motors, not motor-generators.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back