Went With Amana/Goodman for New HVAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the furnace and a/c setup I went with (manufactured in Texas and Tennessee):

https://www.amana-hac.com/products/gas-furnaces/90-afue-gas-furnaces/96-afue-acvc96

- Two stage gas valve, variable speed blower motor, ComfortBridge wireless technology

https://www.amana-hac.com/products/air-conditioners/16-seer-asxc16 (3 ton)

- Two stage compressor (Copeland scroll), two speed fan motor, ComfortBridge wireless technology

https://www.honeywellhome.com/en/products/thermostat/wi-fi-smart-color-thermostat-rth9585wf

- Programmable, control remotely by phone app when away from home, etc.

https://www.cleancomfort.com/products/filtration/media-air-cleaners/am11-cleanfit

- MERV11, 20 x 25 x 5 media filter

Installed by well established contractor with good rep.

I got a new Goodman 3 ton and furnace coil installed last year. My older propane furnace is a keeper. Seemed to cut my electric bill by a little. Old unit was R22and was 30years old. Extra insulation kept it alive and my larges electric summer bill ever was $158. Kept getting these letters from the electric company wondering why my home was the most energy efficient in the neighborhood. I have propane cooking and water heater too.

Don't you mean Carrier? (wink, wink).

I tried saving money by going the Goodman route but the labor was higher for the company who provided the quote..

Originally Posted by LoneRanger

- MERV11, 20 x 25 x 5 media filter

Be careful when buying a 20X25X5 replacement filter. Dimensions vary greatly. Especially thickness.

For example, mine takes a 4 3/8 thick filter.

[Linked Image]

Got a Goodman unit three years ago:

Cooling Capacity (Btuh): 34000EER Rating (Cooling): 13.00SEER Rating (Cooling): 16.00IEER

No problems whatsoever. Goodman ranks at the satisfaction ratings bottom because absolutely anyone can go down to the wholesaler and become an instant Goodman installer, no training necessary. At least this was the case when I made the purchase. However, if you get an HVAC guy who knows what he's doing, they can be a great buy.

We installed a new Amana gas furnace back in 2015 and it has been great. Of course, it replaced a 50 year old oil furnace so anything would have been an improvement but we really like the Amana.

We have a 20 year old Goodman A/C which will be next on the list to replace.

We are using an Amana 60K BTU 97% efficiency Direct Vent furnace with ECM circulation fan and their 14 SEER compressor. Installed in 2013 and came with a 10 year parts/labour warranty from our HVAC contractor and it has been flawless since the vent pipe issue was resolved when it was first installed.

Last edited:
As with any AC unit the installer can make or break the deal. There are aspects of the installation that can cause long term issues, too.

FWIW we have had a 4 ton Amana 18 SEER unit handling our AC and heating needs for about 4 or 5 years. It is a beautiful unit, quiet and efficient. Not a single hiccup yet...

Did you do the work? Or a contractor.

I put my own Goodman system in last year myself and had my HVAC guy come chrage the AC and approve it all for the warranty.

I upgraded the AC contactor to a Copeland semi electronic.
My AC unit is 3.5 ton and at the time it did not come with the 2 wire ComforNet equipment. I did get the comfort net thermostat and my blower is connectee by the 2 wire comfort net. Love it.

Good luck with your new system.

I bought an entire Goodman AC/furnace in late 2008 and it did just fine for the 10 years we owned the house. The only part that was needed was the blower fan for the CO pipe, bad bearing early on.

Originally Posted by 1maniac
Did you do the work? Or a contractor.

Contractor that sells Amana/Goodman exclusively installed it. The install team was a older tech with 20+ yrs in HVAC and a younger person looked to be in his early 20's who said he's been with the contractor for a year.

Today is move-in day and will be busy but I'll try to take a picture of the install and post it up on here. They used the usual metalized tape on plenum joints and for plenum to furnace seams (their on-site sheet metal work) they sealed with clear 100% silicone sealant. Clear sealant also used around the media filter box-to-plenum seams. Haven't been in crawl space to observe how they ran the new refrigerant lines in there, but what's visible looks carefully ran with clean bends, etc. They're not a fly-by-night, been around for 20 or more yrs in the region.

Loneranger, please keep me updated on the AMANA unit. If I understand correctly they are well priced.

All I know is our house is getting close to 13 years old, one of the two units we have has me concerned on how much life is in it.
Im looking for price and not the marketing and higher prices of more well known names simply because my feeling is there is no way to know if the more expensive units have better components. (other then marketing)

We currently have the builder supplied HEIL units which I am fine with also.

Last edited:
Will do. So far so good. We'll see how it does today and tonight on the furnace side, weather out is single digits right now, wind chills below zero as we speak. One thing about these two stage units. when they start up they start in stage one which feels like about 60% of capability. Fan speed is low, burners in low mode or maybe not all lit. It runs that way a while and the air out of supply registers is not as warm and flow is low. When it kicks into stage 2, if it determines it needs to (unknown the criteria), that's 100 burner and faster fan speed and you get a decent amount of warmer air out of the registers as with an standard unit. Also will see what the utility bill is in a month but problem is I have no prior comparison for the old system on this house from when former owners lived here.

Great post BMW, its amazing to see how "companies" of all industries are just bought, sold and traded.
Yes, most/many use the same parts things are put together and marketed for best consumer price and company profit.
I have no proof of anything but think its good to see, Amana is part of Goodman and I would feel more comfortable purchasing one of their products.

We recently replaced both our furnace and A/C unit with Goodman...I am very pleased with them

In last 3 years they all came. 1st replacement was a 17 year old Heil and they pushed Comfort Maker as all from same factory. 3 years in and all good..
For our condo just went with American Standard for long warranty and service plan and that's what the 19 year old system was (2-1/2 hours north of us) … Helped son buy a Trane system also for the long warranty … That replacement was for a 10 year old Goodman (that might have been undersized) … Biggest difference in performance of the 3.
Hopefully done with HVAC for a long time … better cooling and electric bills on all …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back