Went to Pittsburgh for the holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Pittsburgh! I go there a couple times a year to help out the crew we have there. We work over on Neville Island and Swikley. I will agree traffic can be nuts, but it is what it is. I avoid 376 like plague, I go around and take the Turnpike over to 79 South. Sounds like backtracking, but it's less traffic. We mistakenly let the GPS take us on a detour through town at about 8:30am, yea that wasn't fun. The dialect is something different, and if you're easily offended, don't talk to the locals, lol. If you're in a hurry, never mention sports to a local, you'll be there a while.

EDIT: As far as driving in the traffic, you have to drive like a jerk sometimes or you are getting run over.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I'm not even sure how you got there, I thought they shut the parkway down to tear the Greenfield bridge down. The bridge was so old it was crumbling apart and dropping debris on the highway so they put a net up. That didn't catch all the debris so they built a metal table to catch the bridge as it crumbled away.

greenfield-bridge.jpg

Instead of doing all that, wouldn't it be easier to just fix the bridge?

Yep I live in Pittsburgh and if you grew up here it's easy to get around. You learn very quickly when to use the parkways I-279 and I-376 and when not to. Then you use all the back ways around that the locals all know about.

If you were scared by the way we drive you should know that 1 out of every 15 adults has a concealed carry permit for a firearm.

The one thing I never can figure out with my neighbors is why everyone slams on the brakes when they get to the mouth of the tunnels around here. I've gone through the Chesapeake Bay tunnel more than a few times and everyone speeds up through it. These people who live here would have a heart attack knowing they were driving through a tunnel running under a body of water.

Every city has their quirks and Pittsburgh is no different it just depends where and when you're driving in the city. The east end where you were isn't the greatest. [censored] I wouldn't go near that area with out some serious fire power on my hip. BTW I live in the South Hills of the city.

The problem is we've had the money to fix the roads and bridges unfortunately we have politicians that like to spend the money on NEW roads and bridges so they can be there for the ribbon cutting. When you're spending money fixing existing transportation problems there's no glory or photo ops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back