Went to KMart Today...Depressing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depressing to see a whole bunch of Valvoline Synthetic and Mobil 1 for $8.00/quart. And it was SM/SL rated! The labels were peeling off the Valvoline bottles. When did SN come out?

This store was in Muscle Shoals, AL. They need to clearance this stuff and put something on the shelves that will sell.

Their oil prices are outrageous! $38 for a 5 quart jug of M1 around here.

Kmart is depressing in general. Do dark and dingy inside.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Sad. I remember in the late 70's Kmart was always packed. Today it seems like a larger BigLots store with clothing.

I remember the same thing, but it was the 80's for me. Then Walmart happened. Target piled on later.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
Depressing to see a whole bunch of Valvoline Synthetic and Mobil 1 for $8.00/quart. And it was SM/SL rated! The labels were peeling off the Valvoline bottles. When did SN come out?

This store was in Muscle Shoals, AL. They need to clearance this stuff and put something on the shelves that will sell.

Did you actually have them scan it or are you just going by the shelf price? Sometimes items at K-mart can ring up for quite a bit less than advertised. I've scored some nice deals that way. Any leftover gallon size oil jugs should be on clearance.

If all else fails speak to the manager, not one of the flunky cashiers, show him the decrepit bottles and ask for a discount if possible.

I've been to the K mart in muscle shoals before. When I was there they had a few of the gallons of Mobil 1 left for like 7 or 8 dollars a gallon!! I was traveling and could not buy them but someone got a good deal.

Blue light special those!!! Remember the blue light? And the snack bar in the entry lobby? Popcorn and slushies? At least ours did at the pinnacle.

Originally Posted By: neilLB7
Blue light special those!!! Remember the blue light? And the snack bar in the entry lobby? Popcorn and slushies? At least ours did at the pinnacle.

I remember one time I ordered a large popcorn and I was short 5¢ and the lady said no problem. The snack bar even had freshly made submarine sandwiches. I even remember my dad buying oil for his Chevy Nova.

The real problem is Wal Mart dropped prices so low that every one else is considered expensive. Than oil is bought only at Wal mart (at least for the brands Wal Mart caries)

Last edited:
Look at sears and then you can understand why.I bought some things off sears. and they later informed me they didnt have the items.This happened twice and beware sears is now like amazon they let other people sell on their site. No telling what you will actually recieve.They even charged my credit card and send me a check for a refund.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
People still go to sears?

Yes, they still do.

The one thing that still is true about the chain is that they are VERY, VERY good about returns. If you are not happy with your purchase for ANY reason at all they will gladly take it back with no questions asked as long as you have a receipt and return within the specified period.

A lot of other stores that offer similar products today make returning a hassle, especially if it is expensive or electronics, not Sears.

It's a shame to see two historic icons left to wither and die by incompetent manglement.

K Mart is also a story of incompetent manglement.

I remember the stores in their heydays...Bright but simple, with a very good selection of items, decent store staff, that were willing to help, and yes, Slushies, a grill, with EXCELLENT grill cheese, and the homemade subs. Makes me depressed to think about how a story of great success was left to rot. The store we lived near in
Buffalo Grove, Ill (circa 1973-76) had an A&P supermarket incorporated into the KMart. I wonder why they didn't make that a standard store design? That location was ALWAYS packed, the grocery store was clean and well stocked, and they had blue light specials even in the grocery store section! In my mind that location was WAAAY ahead of its time by decades.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I remember the stores in their heydays...Bright but simple, with a very good selection of items, decent store staff, that were willing to help, and yes, Slushies, a grill, with EXCELLENT grill cheese, and the homemade subs.

Our local K-mart had an automotive dept that would put a small auto part store to shame, quality stuff too, tons of AC-Delco. Right next to that was sporting goods with a well stocked firearms section.
cool.gif

A case (12 qts. not six) of Mobil 5w-30 and AC-Delco oil filter was $14.
grin.gif

This was mid to late 90's, not quite ancient history.

Originally Posted By: midnightlaundry
Originally Posted By: C4Dave
Went to KMart Today...Depressing

No need to say more.

I was so depress when I went to a Kmart about 10-12 years ago, since then I didn't visit another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back