went to honda dealer to get filter

and was given a 02 . i was expecting a 03 model. i asked the parts guy and he said that was all they had. I thought honda replaced the 02 filters a couple of years ago.

Why honda filters and not other cross referenced ones though. Aren't honda filters made by fram. Nothing wrong with that but it'd be cheaper to just buy a fram or supertech if they're nearly the same thing and all 3 are quality. I'd try to get a motor craft or ac delco gold they're good value for money. Get them at Walmart usually.

A02 (Honeywell) filters are widely available. Many online dealers are selling them and my local dealer has them on the shelf.

No more A01 though.

Why honda filters and not other cross referenced ones though. Aren't honda filters made by fram. Nothing wrong with that but it'd be cheaper to just buy a fram or supertech if they're nearly the same thing and all 3 are quality. I'd try to get a motor craft or ac delco gold they're good value for money. Get them at Walmart usually.
i like to run oem filters till the warranty runs out. yeah yeah moss magnason and all that , but i prefer to avoid as little hassle as i can when i am at the dealer for work. filter was only $8 after tax and the dealer is less than a mile from my house

i like to run oem filters till the warranty runs out. yeah yeah moss magnason and all that , but i prefer to avoid as little hassle as i can when i am at the dealer for work. filter was only $8 after tax and the dealer is less than a mile from my house
Oh you're still under warranty. Yeah I suppose but it's a Honda man not a modern ford, gm, or Chrysler product I wouldn't worry enough to get oem filters especially at that price. You're hardly ever gonna have a single issue and even then the dealer cant immediately say it was the filters fault without proving it. In our 2015 civic I run supertech filters and it's at 89k now and she's solid. the 2016 Mitsubishi with 45k runs the same filters. No oil burning on either. supertech 6607 is the smaller one and the 9688 is the larger.

IME, the Fram made 02 is still the main OEM filter sold at dealers. I also know it is the OE filter on the 3.5L engine coming out of the Alabama factory. Closest dealer here wants $8 and change for it. Not from me. Another dealer ~20mi away wants a more reasonable ~$5.50, but wouldn't go out of my for it. Owned several Hondas purchased new (including 01 Civic still in service), 'never' a concern running aftermarket OF under warranty and out of warranty. In fact only time I've run OEM is when dealer serviced vehicle, likely count that on one hand.

Only place I've seen the 03 is posted on this sub-forum.

As an aside, when I see a seller note Honeywell as the A02 maker, I smile. It's been ~10 years since Honeywell sold the Fram brand.

.......What's the issue with the A02?
No functional "issue". However 'imo' for what it is, price too high. If I was going to pay $8-9 for an OF filter for Honda, I'd go XG7317 every day, under warranty or otherwise. I've used Napa Gold7356/(Wix), Bosch Prem 3323, XG7317, $4-7 . Based on regular post use autopsies, all have worked well. I don't buy filters in bulk as I mostly do annual OC's now, but usually filters including A02 can be found for less.

As for the dealer quote of ~$12 for an A02, imo an example why their sometimes referred to as stealers.

All that said, I understand some just prefer to use OEM OFs, fine with whatever works for them. As I found out though with Nissan Gonher made OEM, even they are not exempt from defects.

Last edited:
A few different sites list $7.30 as MSRP for the A02 filter...so dealer charging more than that esp $12 is super stealership.

Educate a newb. What's the issue with the A02?

Like Kschachn says there isn't an issue.

IF you look at price performance it isnt a great filter from a micron rating and for a filter that can be "asked" to stay in a car for 20K+ miles in some circumstances its not partculalry well built, but Ive never seen a posted failure and honda uses millions of them and has for decades. Both Duck Ryder and myself have posted cut and paste videos.

For a small price difference if any you can buy filters that do a better job of filtering and are constructed better.

Will that make any difference to life of your vehicle ?
Likely not in a car, maybe in a truck that see harder duty- maybe.
Hondas reach high mileage routinely with standard maintenance and OEM parts.

Hm

They still have just the 02 as the filter
Honda considers their oil filters 100% interchangeable so if they shipped something different than an -02, that's what you get and they can say "we don't have anymore" of the others and they are equivalent filters.

IF you look at price performance it isnt a great filter from a micron rating and for a filter that can be "asked" to stay in a car for 20K+ miles in some circumstances its not partculalry well built, but Ive never seen a posted failure and honda uses millions of them and has for decades.
Maybe, just maybe, the micro-analyzing of oil filters that happens is just out of line or nit-picking. Honda still says to leave the filter in for (2) oil changes and that can end up ranging from 10k to 15k or more miles. Honda must be replacing engines under warranty on a daily basis due to massive failures from poorly designed oil filters, huh ? :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO:

Maybe, just maybe, the micro-analyzing of oil filters that happens is just out of line or nit-picking. Honda still says to leave the filter in for (2) oil changes and that can end up ranging from 10k to 15k or more miles. Honda must be replacing engines under warranty on a daily basis due to massive failures from poorly designed oil filters, huh ? :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO:

Education and understanding ones options from a position of knowledge is always a positive thing.

Hondas SOP is enlightening and rather amusing as many people would NEVER keep a Fram tough, or extra guard in for 20K miles or use an oil filter for 2 OCI's - but because it says Honda on it they have no issue doing it, and often have no idea the dealer is leaving a filter in place.

Our son uses Honda filters on his Accord religiously and would never leave one on for 2x oil changes, nor would I. Just bought a '12 Civic and when it needs an oil change, it will likely be FU. Haven't decided yet really.... It will get changed each time too. We had an Odyssey and I used Fram TG filters on it, as I recall. Don't remember FU filters being that common when we had that vehicle.

My understanding is most Honda dealers change the filter even when Honda says it's fine not to. Granted, 90% of owners aren't going to crawl under and inspect it to check either.

Back