Went in and cleaned out the office today... I'm "permanent - remote" now.

Another ‘behind the scenes‘ type of career field that folks don’t think of when it comes to healthcare and hospitals.

👍

I know of a few hospitals in Florida that their oxygen supply ran low and they had to stop admitting patients, true story.
That is a fact Sir! The bulk of the problem is we can't find enough cryogenic tanker truck drivers to make deliveries. You're talking a $100k+ per year job as well.

My fear with working from home is anyone with internet from anywhere could do your job... or it could just be distributed between 4 other employees. Maybe I have a boomer mentality?

My fear with working from home is anyone with internet from anywhere could do your job... or it could just be distributed between 4 other employees. Maybe I have a boomer mentality?
I've already had that happen with 2 previous jobs so I don't worry about that anymore. Besides, as my boss and I say, I don't think anyone wants to do our jobs. We've had internal people make comments about how they could do things so much better and we've always responded with 'if you have a better way, we'd love to see it.' And we weren't trying to confrontational or sarcastic; we're genuinely interested in improving things if there's a problem.

So far, there have been no takers. ;)

Same CBA as above.
BONUS: The office's lease was expiring this November while plans were being made to move to an "A" property farther away.
The last 1.5 years demonstrates that remote working works.
The office is closing completely next month. It's 98% closed and empty now.
Plans for occasional meeting space needs are being made.
I suggested a nearby park with ducks and picnic tables.
We closed our office last year, not that I went in all that much. I suspect the same, the lease was up for our class A office space and WFH was working well, so why keep leasing so much real estate. I was largely WFH already or WF Car as I had to go to customer sites when I wasn't working remotely. Already had a laptop and cell phone.

I took home one of the Hermann Miller office chairs and get an additional $50/month to pay on my interwebs costs, so it's a great deal.

If the job allows it and one is disciplined enough to actually get the work done, it can be a great deal.

Oddly, I did DRIVE more last year than in recent previous years as well, so go figure.

That's what I told the kids, if you job can be done with a keyboard, it can be done nearly anywhere in the world.

My son is a coder, but he's working on defense projects. I hope we are not so greedy/selfish/shortsighted to offshore that sort of work...

A lot of similar themes and discussions at my work. We just built a beautiful new office building. It's awesome. Great cafeteria with lots of healthy options and a dedicated pizza oven. Gym with machines and free weights. Dog friendly. Nursing rooms. They wanted to make it as employee friendly as possible. We have unlimited vacation days, unlimited sick days, flexible hours. All to attract the best people to work for us that don't need to be micro managed. We went mandatory WFH before the state guidelines kicked in. We found that we are more productive WFH. People work longer hours and get more done. Our CEO frequently tells us to work less and have a better work/personal balance.

Our new theme is in person with a purpose. The office is open for people that want a change of scenery from their home. People are in person if we have an event or for team building but since my team is Europe, NJ, and Asia we all won't be in person. I've heard through the grapevine that some of the new/younger people we've hired were told they can WFH permanently. That will make if difficult to tell the old timers that they need to come back into the office.

That is the truth. It's a new way to do business. Physical proximity to the office is no longer a requirement. I'm based in NJ. We've hired people that live in Colorado and California and Europe. They work out fine. I can do my job totally remotely and I've heard that some people at my job that lived close to the office have sold their houses and moved where housing is a lot less expensive.

Companies are just going to start hiring people who live where housing is cheaper so they can pay them less.

And before someone says companies need good people and are willing to pay for them, trust me, nobody is replaceable. That's your ego talking.

There is always someone, somewhere in the world that is willing to do your job better for less money. The only thing stopping them was distance.

If you didn't like globalism before, you haven't seen anything yet.

I will caution some of you who have decided to move to another state and your company's HR department doesn't setup something so that you don't have to file two states' worth of income taxes, it can be a PITA. My wife used to work from home in GA. The company was in NYC. For a few years, we had to file NYS and GA state taxes. What a pain. Something got worked out where the HR company they hired all that out to formed some "company" in GA (and a few other states where WFH employees were) and it was like "normal" again.

Companies are just going to start hiring people who live where housing is cheaper so they can pay them less.
That's already come up. So have pay cuts for working from home simply because you don't have to commute or buy dress clothing for the office. This stuff isn't big yet, but it soon will be.

Also, some states are trying to tax people who moved to another state and continue to work remotely for a company in their original state. That situation can be a mess.

I understand the benefit to the bottom line that companies get, but I don't understand why someone's pay should change based on location. You should get paid what you and the position are worth regardless of where you decide to live, IMO. If a company wants to post a remote position at X salary, why should it matter where the remote employee chooses to live? Someone accepting a job at X pay should be considering whether or not that pay covers cost of living where they are living, regardless of whether or not location is determined by the job.

I understand the benefit to the bottom line that companies get, but I don't understand why someone's pay should change based on location. You should get paid what you and the position are worth regardless of where you decide to live, IMO. If a company wants to post a remote position at X salary, why should it matter where the remote employee chooses to live? Someone accepting a job at X pay should be considering whether or not that pay covers cost of living where they are living, regardless of whether or not location is determined by the job.
^This. I thought pay was based on the job's worth, not what it costs the person doing the job to live.

^This. I thought pay was based on the job's worth, not what it costs the person doing the job to live.

And what it's worth is based on supply and demand. If someone is willing to do it for less then that's what it's worth.

And before someone says companies need good people and are willing to pay for them, trust me, nobody is replaceable. That's your ego talking.

There is always someone, somewhere in the world that is willing to do your job better for less money. The only thing stopping them was distance.

If you didn't like globalism before, you haven't seen anything yet.
Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes Usually cheaper is more expensive. I won't go into detail because I don't want to derail the thread any more than I have, but both times when I was outsourced/offshored, the cost-savings had to have been accounting funny-money because in normal terms, my cheaper replacements were not better at the job and had to have cost the company more money overall.

What's better, a job that pays $100,000 in a city where housing is $40,000 or a job that pays $85,000 where housing is $20,000?

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes Usually cheaper is more expensive. I won't go into detail because I don't want to derail the thread any more than I have, but both times when I was outsourced/offshored, the cost-savings had to have been accounting funny-money because in normal terms, my cheaper replacements were not better at the job and had to have cost the company more money overall.

Outsourcing doesn't have to be overseas, it can be a few zip codes away.

Back