Went back to using (PP) 5w20 - improvement vs 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last few years, I've been using up my stash of free after rebate 5w30 in a vehicle that specs 5w20.

I finally got to use my free after FRN PP 5w20 and what a difference! Start up is easier and I especially noticed this on the first start up after the oil change. The engine seems lighter during warm up and acceleration is improved.

The biggest thing I noticed was the lack of noise intruding into the cabin at and above 80mph. Previously that was the point where it became a little too noisy to easily have a conversation but now it is little different to the noise at the 70mph-80mph range.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
"at and above 80 mph"

This happens often?

CA freeway speeds!

Originally Posted By: raytseng
what car engine and year?

2003 Sable with Duratec. 83k miles on it now.

What was this FAR 5W-30?
PP in any grade would likely be an improvement over many other API complying oils.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I finally got to use my free after FRN PP 5w20 and what a difference! Start up is easier and I especially noticed this on the first start up after the oil change. The engine seems lighter during warm up and acceleration is improved.

The biggest thing I noticed was the lack of noise intruding into the cabin at and above 80mph. Previously that was the point where it became a little too noisy to easily have a conversation but now it is little different to the noise at the 70mph-80mph range.

You did not mention couple of new wings behind
smile.gif
This is pure placebo effect.

Not surprising given that their is quite a difference in the 5w20 weight at 40c and 100c compared to the 5w30. I'll use PP 5w30, but the majority of synthetic 5w30's will be very similar.
It's 44.9cSt @40c for 5w20 and 56.9cSt @40c for the 5w30, you'll feel that at startup, as you've noted.
@100c it's 8.2 for 5w20 and 10.3 for the 5w30, HTHS I believe is 2.6 compared to 3.1. HTHS number is from memory as it isn't listed on the spec sheet.
Those technical specs will make a difference in driveability for you and are current 2014 specs for both oils.
Enjoy the new feel of the car and some mpg improvements in your future....
Now if you ever want to go to a zero weight...
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: timeau

You did not mention couple of new wings behind
smile.gif
This is pure placebo effect.

It's easily dismissed as placebo until you see the differences in each weight of oil.

Originally Posted By: Roob
Not surprising given that their is quite a difference in the 5w20 weight at 40c and 100c compared to the 5w30.
It's 44.9cSt @40c for 5w20 and 56.9cSt @40c for the 5w30, you'll feel that at startup, as you've noted.
@100c it's 8.2 for 5w20 and 10.3 for the 5w30, HTHS I believe is 2.6 compared to 3.1. HTHS number is from memory as it isn't listed on the spec sheet.
Those technical specs will make a difference in driveability for you and are current 2014 specs for both oils.
Enjoy the new feel of the car and some mpg improvements in your future....
Now if you ever want to go to a zero weight...
grin.gif

Exactly, there is quite a difference. Indeed, on the occasions where 5w30 was used instead of 5w20, I have always noticed a decrease in responsiveness.

Additionally, I've been using Synpower 5w30 which is on the heavy side for non Euro 5w30. Same happened with Castrol. QSUD felt lighter and it's specs reflect that.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
"at and above 80 mph"

This happens often?

CA freeway speeds!

+1 definetly experienced this many times

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The 01 escape i used to have ran much quieter on 30wt than the 20wt especially 0w-30. It was a duratech 3.0

I have to say that at lower speeds, when accelerating, the engine noise is now more noticeable with 5w20. But it seems quieter cruising at 80mph.

I am going to pull out the [censored] card and call [censored].

That car will not know the difference.

Have a nice oil change. The car will appreciate it. You, I rather doubt you can tell any difference. Especially during summer months.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
PP 5W20 reduced the interior decibel level in the car? That is amazing.

Well, it could be the change from 5w30 to 5w20 (reducing friction which reduces vibration which reduces noise), it could be the nature of Pennzoil Platinum, it could be that I did just under 9k miles / 15 months on the 5w30 and it had lost some effectiveness.

My wife's 2005 Mariner 3.0L ran fine on MC 5W-20 synth blend for 110K miles until it developed a valvetrain tick on cylinder 3 at hot idle. Always Motorcraft FL820S filters. Didn't affect performance, and was only audible outside the car.

I changed to Pennzoil Ultra 5W-20 thinking maybe the hydraulic lash adjuster on that cyl had some gunk. No immediate effect on the noise, but a few months later I noticed the tick was gone. The PU turned dark brown at just under 2K miles which was unusual for that engine...I figured it was the PU doing a job of cleaning.

It's now at 127K miles, still running PU (old formula I stocked up at W-M) and noise-free. Initial OCI was short at 5K miles, then 8K miles for each subsequent run. If this didn't work I was going to try Mobil-1 High Mileage 5W-30 during the Summer.

I have used 5w30 A5/B5 and C1 reduced HTHS fuel economy oil and 5w30 C3 oil in the Pathfinder and the Jag and noted no major differences in noise or performance.

Jag economy stayed the same with the C3.

There was slight improvement in fuel economy with the A5/B5 in the Pathfinder butnit was under 0.5mpg but as the car onlyndoes low 20mpg every littlw helps.

Interestingly with the A5/B5 the Pathfinder engine sounded like a bag of spanners towards the end of the interval.

I have used 5w40bC3 in the Pathfinder on occasion the last oci was 5w30 Castrol Edge C3 and come to think about it it might have had 5w40 Castrol Edge C3 in the sump prior to the A5/B5 Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE oil.

Sadly i moved house and have lost the notebook where i noted it down.

There may be some improvement in fuel economy in the case of the OP but the engine running better above 80mph i would personally put down to placebo.

Or perhaps as in the case of my Pathfinder the previous fill was in there a bit too long for the capabilities of that specific oil.
I know that if i run Mobil Super 3000 in the Pathy again it will not be in for more than 6mths or 5k.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
PP 5W20 reduced the interior decibel level in the car? That is amazing.

I added racing decals to my '72 Impala (back in h.s) and was able to do a burnout a bit easier than before adding them.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back