Went against my better judgement today.

In 1976 I brought my grandmother's 1964 Rambler down from Pymatuning where she lived, to Pittsburgh and I and my cousins went over that car from front to back and top the bottom. The oil filter was extremely old and could have been original. It needed brakes all the way around and I found the drums for it which were very hard to find. There was a broken spring in the automatic transmission but I couldn't get to that section of the transmission because I didn't know how to tear that section down so I put it back together and took it to a tranny shop and had them fix that. Replaced many other items on the car and gave it back to her. When she got it back she said it drives a lot nicer going down the road, but it had an antenna for the radio when I gave it to you. Apparently somebody had broken It off while it was sitting in front of the garage where we did all the work on cars back then. 13 years later she tells me that her car will not run correctly and that I must have done something wrong to it when I had it.

Last edited:
Last Summer I offered to check the battery of the woman across the streets 2016 Jeep Compass. She said sure go ahead. So I said pop the hood. And she said I don't know how to do that. And she is the only one living in her household and she is the original owner of the vehicle.

Last edited:
It’s hard for her to realistically blame you for anything seeing how the oil was ~2 years old and 3 quarts low.

She neglects her vehicle.

My ex BIL was like that with cars. Him and my sister drove 6 hrs in the summer with their two kids to visit. He complained that the car was ‘down on power’. A quick look showed that coolant was low 4 litres, oil was low 2 litres.
Topped everything up and showed my sister and him what to check frequently. They somehow drove that Buick Century for many more years.

Good on you for helping, I would've done the same, but also know all too well that no good deed goes unpunished.

While there are people who are genuinely in need, there are also those who seem to find problems and become a magnet for those who help them.

there are also those who seem to find problems and become a magnet for those who help them.
Oh yes! People like that are horrible! They’re like fleas or mosquitoes. Total pests. People like that are usually just total f-ups. You help them once and they become total leaches.

I think the trick to these kinds of people is that instead of “giving” to them, you need to “teach” them. Teach them how to help themselves. Like they say, you can lead a horse to water....

Back