Wen 2350 generator White smoke break in Amsoil

I bought a wen 2000 Five years ago it’s been through several storms including ida recently. Got about 200 hours on it. I’ve only run Amsoil hdd 5w30 from day one and has been flawless. Hence, I purchased a second one, but the 2350 watt model. Now this generator is made by a different manufacture than the 2000. Came in the other day couldn’t wait to un box it and run it. I had some Amsoil leftover to throw in it and off we went. Well I noticed it ran smoothly, but when I would turn the economy mode off and the engine would run up I would get a puff of white smoke. The longer I let it run in economy mode say 20 minutes then turn eco off The bigger the puff of smoke. I said this can’t be good my other one never did this. Ran it for about two hours would continue to do the same thing. No smoke when It was running continuously. throttle u smoke. And the severity of the smoke depending on how long you let it run before you throttle up. Say five minutes we get just a little bit of puff. 30 minutes big puff. So this morning I cranked it and let it run five minutes drain the oil and headed to Walmart. When I cranked it this morning it was a little puff of smoke. This is where things get really weird, I would never believe this unless it happened to me and I witnessed it. I’m stalking the oil aisle. I was going to buy Mobil one10W30 high mileage. Naturally they didn’t have it. So let me get a good diesel 30 weight, none to be had. I said you know what this thing is breaking in, and it may be going back So I grabbed some Supertech HD30, SP rated. Change the OIl Let it run for 15 minutes then 30 minutes in economy mode with my side-by-side fridge plugged in throttle up no smoke, zero as in none. I said well probably a fluke. Let it run same pattern 15 30 45 minutes straight same thing no smoke. I tried everything to get it to smoke and never did. Where is with the Amsoil I could duplicate the pattern with ease. Was the Amsoil not allowing the rings to seat properly. I have no idea I like you guys opinions. I put 15 ounces of Amsoil as super tech measured. So it wasn’t over filled. My fridge was also plugged in with The Amsoil.

Last edited:
That model is known to have QC issues including smoking. Not sure I would blame amsoil.

I am not blaming Amsoil as in it’s a bad product, I have it in my lawnmower my other generator and on and on. Maybe somethings in it didn’t agree with this engine? I don’t know it’s just weird. I’m a total oil nut, and I’ve never experienced anything like this. Never seen an oil change have a dramatic affect like this. These cheap generators Are hit or miss, so who knows. It’s going to get super tech HD 30 the rest of its life. Maybe this is the oil it likes.

do a burn test to see what amsoil smoke looks like vs supertech. tye supertech smoke might be light blue and not as noticable.

the only other thing i can think of is sae30 being a little thicker than 5w30 especially when new.
thinner oil can slip passed the rings or valve guides.

Back