well there goes about 1500 bucks :(

20230410_172433.jpg

What am I looking at in this pic?
:unsure:
The blue thing is a 280ah 3.2v battery cell. The thing that is smoking is a programmable DC load.

It was my bigger version of this for testing battery capacities.
20230408_194340 (1).jpg

Is that a LandRover? kidding
Why is my 2nd question.
Isn't there a better way of testing?
Reviews aren't that good for KP184's.

Is that a LandRover? kidding
Why is my 2nd question.
Isn't there a better way of testing?
Reviews aren't that good for KP184's.
Yeah KP184's have some issues, but I use them for quick stuff.

The load that smoked was my expensive Amrel one. It was pretty old but it would do 150a loads. I bought it used about 5y ago and it was probably 10+ years when I got it.

My one regret at work: years ago, there was some issue, noise in a system, from a piece of magnetizing equipment that ran pulsed power through a small coil to do its thing. Some issue I've long forgotten about. Anyhow, someone got the bright idea that an MOV might fix the noise that might be on the transformer, so they obtained one and put it on. I got invited to watch, but thought, no, I'd just be a fifth wheel. Didn't want to be in the way.

I'm told the blue flame could be measured in feet... no one thought about the fact that MOV's come in different voltage ratings.

Now when anyone asks if I want to watch some experiment, I'm never sure if I want to stand too close--or have my camera ready.

Found the issue, not sure what this little board does yet, I have an idea but I need to trace it out. Cap is vented and resistor obviously was very hot. For those of you who noticed, I took the cover off the transistor on the end, it is not missing.

20230411_111617.jpg

20230411_112241.jpg

Those 80mm? fans,.... think one or more failed, and helped lead to the magic smoke escaping?

I lucked out once, and heard when a noisy cheapo 40mm sleeve bearing fan quit spinning on a charger, and I promptly shut it down.

I had a 60mm fan handy. Modified the intake to accept it, and charger still functions, likely running cooler than when new.

Back