Well, that's not good. 2002 Honda 9.9 outboard

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
E1883611-DB9A-4D08-ADE2-B1073BA2E25C_1_105_c.jpeg

That's from inside this guy:
028E8745-96CB-4F22-B9F9-54013335B69A_1_105_c.jpeg

Operated in fresh water exclusively. Sacrificial anode still in decent condition. It was not like this about 3 years ago when I changed the impeller last. Was getting in to it to change the impeller again, clearly, this isn't good.

The front section is the through-prop exhaust, back section is where the impeller sits, there's a tube that its housing mates with. Checking with the marina to see if that mid section can be purchased as a replacement part. The upper section is still mint, lower unit is in decent condition (better than the mid section).

So, sorry! Possibly ,in the future, you could pull the motor off the boat during low season, or , just tilt the motor out of the water when not in use.

Last edited:
So, sorry! Possibly ,in the future, you could pull the motor off the boat during low season, or , just tilt the motor out of the water when not in use.
The boat is used almost every day during the summer. Off-season, it is put on a trailer and sits in my parent's yard.

Something not getting the benefit of the anode, is the part insulated electrically from the other parts? gasket?
That was my thought. Yes, there's gasket sealant (you can see it in the 2nd pic) that separates the mid unit from the engine. However, the bolts pass right through into it, so 🤷‍♂️ There's a clear separation between the head unit and the mid unit in terms of corrosion; there's absolutely none on the head unit. The anode is on the lower unit.

The boat is used almost every day during the summer. Off-season, it is put on a trailer and sits in my parent's yard.
Gosh, that's really bad corrosion. Maybe you can tilt it mostly out of the water when you come in each day. Gotta be anode related. Talk to your OB dealer about it.

Gosh, that's really bad corrosion. Maybe you can tilt it mostly out of the water when you come in each day. Gotta be anode related. Talk to your OB dealer about it.
It's bizarre, because we don't see it on our I/O's, one of which was WAY older (late 70's). So yes, something is going on there for sure.

Wow! That thing was the sacrificial anode! We've had our old evinrude 2-strokes apart for impeller replacement and they look new in there. They're only in the water for a week or so per year at best though. The little ones are from the 50's. The 50hp is from the 1980s.

2 stroke or 4 stroke?..don't see any oily exhaust there...Try thehulltruth forum...this happens usually with the 4 strokes...sometimes the mid will get hot then during decell the water flows into the hot mid...that has happened with 4 stroke outboards.

Reactions: FZ1
2 stroke or 4 stroke?..don't see any oily exhaust there...Try thehulltruth forum...this happens usually with the 4 strokes...sometimes the mid will get hot then during decell the water flows into the hot mid...that has happened with 4 stroke outboards.
Yes, it's a 4-stroke.

Wow. That's interesting, thanks. Maybe, one could move more weight forward to keep the water from entering the ob on decel.

Back