Well Pump- replacement 1/2 HP Deep jet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard is it to replace a 1/2 HP deep jet pump. The current one is dropping chunkies and seeping. Also starting to get abit of bearing whine.

Would like to preemptively replace.

Water is extremely salty, some sulfur and minerals as well. Not drinkable but Great for everything else.

Seriously considering paying someone, but I'm pretty handy the Pump is in basement corner with 2 lines going about 3-4' into a block wall.

I believe its a medium or deep Jet? pump

lookts like this youtube video

Last edited:
Hello, Your pump will have a removable plastic orifice (the jet). It will have a "D" on it. Your pump likely came with another one bearing a "S" for shallow.
How deep is your well?

I have the same pump pictured in the video in storage.
I replaced our jet pump with a submersible unit several years back.
Too bad Baberton, OH isn't close to West Point. Kira

Not a problem.
Do you intend to replace the pump only, or also the jet down the well?

You don't say where, or how deep your well is. What is the condition of the Poly lines.? You might want to replace those while you are at it.

How deep is your well?....Over a certain depth you need a jet pump (two hoses-jet). I think the limit for depth is 60 ft not sure. I'm 55 ft down in one of my wells and it doesn't require the jet to bring water to the surface, just one suction line but I'm sure I'm right at the limit. If you want to just replace it just remove the two hoses and hook up your new one and plug it in...that easy!! at least mine was.

Replacement is pretty straightforward, if you have a replacement with the same specs and layout. Make sure you have a place to catch water if the storage tank may drain (no valve or check valve between the storage tank and pump).

2 lines going out like that is a jet pump.

It's pretty much shut off the power to the pump, the water to the storage tank (if there is a shutoff, sometimes it's just a check valve), disconnect the old one and it's electrics, bolt up the new one. Use pipe dope or teflon on connections. Open up the valve to the storage tank if it's there, and get the pump primed. Then check for leaks.

The only bugaboo is if you've got a gate valve to the storage tank that goes bad and won't open back up after you close it for the change. Lots of water contains minerals that can react with the metals used and corrode them.

Heat up a kettle full of hot water. Pour it slowly over the black poly lines and clamps. This will soften the poly and make it easier to remove the pipes. Repeat this procedure when installing the pipes onto the new pump. This will also help prevent leaks at these connections.

I just replaced both my pump and tank a few months ago. Hardest part was getting it to prime. It took me a days to get water from my well. DO NOT drain the water from the pipes via the faucets...just close the main valve before you start and fill every pipe up with water before hooking it up.

+1 on heating the plastic pipe at the connections. I've see pros heat it with a torch on very low flame. Just be careful. If you have trouble with prime and have a neighbor close by, hook his system to your's and let it fill your system until water runs out of the prime port on the pump, which is usually on the top of the pump itself. The other solution is a pump in the well, but I'd be concerned about your water quality and what it woul do long term to the pump. The units will run for many years in close to neutral PH water and there is no prime problem. Uses a smaller motor, too.

I forgot to mention, most pumps can be re-built. You may want to hang on to the old one and rebuild it, the kits aren't that expensive, and then you'd have a spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back