Well I would say that does it for MAC for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
TaiwanMAC.jpg

Snap on from hear on out I guess.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
If you think All Snap On is ALL 'MURICAN

....your in for some very late night drinking style depression.

I've yet to see a SnapOn wrench that was not USA and if they sell you something with a cruddy finish they usually brand it Blue Point...

Anyway as for late night drinking style depression - nope not me.

Plenty of snap on stuff os Taiwan. They both have the same warranty so i buy mac theyre cheaper.

I have read (I believe) on this web-site that:
Made in Taiwan is better quality than Made in China.
While shopping, I'm trying to see if that's true.

I just bought a set of (Metric) Combination Wrenches at Lowes.
Made in Taiwan.
Great Price / Great Finish, Quality

I try to buy Made in USA, not always possible.

I feel that if a USA Company is going to send its work overseas,
then the price I pay should be way lower than Made in USA.

If an item is made overseas with USA prices, then the consumer is being ripped off.

Larry:

I think you can make good stuff in Taiwan or China and agree that as a general rule Taiwan is nicer or more likely to be nicer.

Charging USA price for it is my real beef, this thing cost about what 2 or 3 Taiwanese Kobalts cost and the Kobalt are nicer. Also you can't get these MAC to match the old ones anymore witch is sort of irritating. The old USA Kobalt I picked up when I first noticed it missing is actually a nicer wrench and was much cheaper. Finally gave up on finding a MAC man and ordered this and a couple of sockets on line (Sockets are USA BTW)...

Also interesting that they conveniently omitted the ANY COO marking on the wrench itself.

I may have to look at SK and Proto too, I don't like SK ratchets but otherwise they are usually nice.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Plenty of snap on stuff os Taiwan. They both have the same warranty so i buy mac theyre cheaper.
They are cheaper in every way.

Originally Posted By: CT8
They are cheaper in every way.

+1 I still have plenty of Mac tools but they're not ones I rely on everyday. Most Snap-On hand tools are still made in USA. I believe the vise grips and hose clamp pliers are made in Spain and France. The Bluepoint line from Snap-On is almost all Taiwan made from what I have seen.

In 1984 I bought a shallow depth Cornwell made in USA 3/8 drive 10mm socket.Just used it last year,cracked on 1st use.Just saying...

Taiwan has subcontracted to build some pretty good quality electronics over time. Proton is one example. NAD is another. Sangean is a third.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
In 1984 I bought a shallow depth Cornwell made in USA 3/8 drive 10mm socket.Just used it last year,cracked on 1st use.Just saying...
But it lasted 30 years of being the shelf queen :)

Any real tech knows the best tool is the one with the best tool guy who is reliable and treats you right. Where i work now the mac guy I'm used to comes to my new shop and is a great guy. Snap on also comes where as before snap on didnt stop by. That being said i already have an acct with the mac guy and will still be doing most my business with him but i did buy a snap on ratchet last week. snap on definitely has a great ratchet. I have yet to break any of my mac tools or craftsman professional tools.

Any real tech knows the best tool is the one with the best tool guy who is reliable and treats you right. ...

That is actually right, no MAC man to be found.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

The CLL210MMKS is made in Dallas Texas!!

I don't want it that long... but if it is US I might try it... it is actually more than a SnapOn though.

You're right that I bought the wrong wrench though because this one is junk...

Maybe I will just solve the problem and buy this:

https://store.snapon.com/Short-Handle-mm...m--P630618.aspx

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
I don't want it that long... but if it is US I might try it... it is actually more than a SnapOn though.

I felt the need to respond to your post because I didn't want people unfamiliar with MAC tools thinking all their wrenches are made in Taiwan now. MAC still has a lot of USA tools available, but you have to know which part numbers to choose. If everybody chooses the correct USA part numbers, MAC will get the message and quit pushing Taiwan made tools.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I felt the need to respond to your post because I didn't want people unfamiliar with MAC tools thinking all their wrenches are made in Taiwan now. MAC still has a lot of USA tools available, but you have to know which part numbers to choose. If everybody chooses the correct USA part numbers, MAC will get the message and quit pushing Taiwan made tools.

You realize its impossible to tell COO from their website right? And that you can't search by a part number? You shouldn't have to "know which part numbers to choose"...

Omitting the COO on the non-US wrench is dishonest and let me guess what they'd give you for a warranty replacement...

You can rest assured they will get the message with the return shipment.

You realize its impossible to tell COO from their website right?

Right. I have a collection of MAC catalogs that I've collected over a span of 20 years. I'm very familiar with their traditional line of USA made tools. For a person like me, their Taiwan tools stick out like a sore thumb.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY

The reason behind it cracking may be it's age combined with no use, I have hundreds of sockets. Snap-On, Mac & Cornwell Chrome sockets Bust if you don't use them right off.

I season all my new sockets with a impact at work for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back