Well, I did it (GC) - hope you guys are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by lonestar:
This AZ had GC 0W30 2 slots down from the M1 so based on the rave reviews on this board about GC I picked up a qt. to look it over. It is not SM / GL-4, it is not API certified (nor certified by anyone for that mater), and there was no star burst on the bottle indicating energy conserving. Along with the hassle of having to mail order the products, these are the reasons I had ruled out RL and Amsoil for my use. However, post after post of praise for GC was ringing in my head. The M1 was setting there with the SM / GL-4, API Certified, and Star Burst designations and the GC advertising none of these…. Based solely on the reviews on this board I ignored that and selected the GC; I hope you folks are right about GC.

Looks like quite a few certifications...
 -

****, man, it's just oil. I put it in my BMW which supposedly requires 40 or 50 weight oil and, so far, it hasn't blown up. In fact it runs smooth as silk. You'll be fine.

All I know is that My 2001 Old Alero 2.4L knocked with Mobil 1 EP. After reading the threads regarding the GC Green I dumped the mobil 1 & put 4 Qts of the GC, My motor runs like a fine German Clock now!!!

I dropped M1 oils for Castrols' products based on my experience with the GC. I used to be a M1 lunatic but in the last year or so it seemed , at least to me, their products left something to be desired - increased engine noise for one and changing to GC made my 4.3L truck engine quiet as a mouse with more power too. Maybe the more power is the but meter at work here but definetely smoother. Now I use Castrol products in everything: 5w/20 in Miata, 5w/30 in a Tahoe and GC in my PU and Bimmer. I realize that Castrol uses a lot of GR III base oils - what do I care, the cars run like they did on M1, three years ago. I'm thinking that the line between GR III and GR IV is no longer blurred - it's gone. Of course this is just MHO, for whatever it could be worth. Cheers all! DV

After reading post after post on BITOG I decided that continuing with M1 EP would probably be more than excellent for my application, ’04 5.3L V8 in a GM mid size SUV with 15k miles residing in Texas. I went to the Wally World nearest me and the shelves were virtually bare of M1 products. On my way to another WW I decide to just stop at Auto Zone and pay .29 a qt. more for M1 EP. This AZ had GC 0W30 2 slots down from the M1 so based on the rave reviews on this board about GC I picked up a qt. to look it over. It is not SM / GL-4, it is not API certified (nor certified by anyone for that mater), and there was no star burst on the bottle indicating energy conserving. Along with the hassle of having to mail order the products, these are the reasons I had ruled out RL and Amsoil for my use. However, post after post of praise for GC was ringing in my head. The M1 was setting there with the SM / GL-4, API Certified, and Star Burst designations and the GC advertising none of these…. Based solely on the reviews on this board I ignored that and selected the GC; I hope you folks are right about GC.

"Looks like quite a few certifications..."

Please correct me if I am incorrect but, all the claims on the label says the oil “meets or exceeds” and those types of statements. No where does it specifically say the oil is actually certified. Same with Amsoil, RL, RP, etc., they say they meet or exceed specific service levels but they are not certified as doing so by the bodies who provide the certifications. If they were certified they would show the certification logo on the label. Be all that as it may, I purchased the GC anyway. I am sure it will provide service and protection beyond the levels needed by my engine.

I, for one, like the Pao/Ester combination. On the other hand, i'll see how my next UOA of my GC 0W-30 will compare with my previous UOA of only Mobil 1 TSUV 5w-30. So far, i've seen alot of GC UOA's with lower than desired or decreased flashpoints. i'm not an oil chemist but i hope it's not of a great concern... i guess it's a trade-off between lower basestock vs better ZDDP?
dunno.gif

But back on topic, I believe GC will satisfy almost any engine's needs.

lonestar...do you not see the API "doughnut" on the back of the bottle? GC is an API licensed oil, thus it displays the API service symbol. It doesn't carry the API "Energy Conserving" wording, likely because it is a thick 30-weight oil and can't be considered energy conserving due to it's viscosity. If you're interested in an energy conserving oil, you need to look at one of the "thinner" 30-weight synthetic oils such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum.

Here's what the API says about the Certification Mark "Starburst" symbol:
quote:

The API Certification Mark "Starburst" is designed to identify engine oils recommended for a specific application (such as gasoline service). An oil may be licensed to display the Starburst only if the oil satisfies the most current requirements of the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee (ILSAC) minimum performance standard for this application (currently GF-4 for passenger cars). Many automobile manufacturers recommend oils that carry the API Certification Mark.

Again, I'm not sure why GC doesn't carry the starburst symbol but I personally don't care if GC carries the latest ILSAC rating or not. I'd much rather see the VW, Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and ACEA certifications, as I feel they are more difficult tests to pass and as such, indicate that GC is a very high-quality oil.

[ August 07, 2006, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: AndyH ]

I made a note on the GC picture page, I took those pictures in Sept. of 2004 so the bottle may have changed since then. Not sure though, i'm not a GC fanatic.

I stand corrected, I thought the "doughnut" was supposed to have the words API Certified if the oil was API Certified - I guess simply having the "doughnut" means it is certified.

Also, & my appologoes to RP, some of their oils are indeed API Certified.

quote:

Originally posted by JavaMan:
I believe RP Motor Oil is API Certified.

IIRC, RP 5W30 and 10W30 have the Sunburst. Same with M1 5W30 and 10W30.

The old "AC" Castrol 0W30 had the Sunburst. I guess it was thinner than GC?

quote:

I stand corrected, I thought the "doughnut" was supposed to have the words API Certified if the oil was API Certified - I guess simply having the "doughnut" means it is certified.

I think a few BITOG'ers have mistakened the BP Castrol logo on the back of the bottle for the API Certification.
wink.gif

It's nothing more than the BP logo.

Bowser

I have used both Mobil 1 (5w-30) and Royal Purple (5w-30). I have a 2002 Toyota Tundra V6 with 67000 miles on it. I dont drive it much now because I have a company car. My baby (truck) stays covered up and I start it once every 2 weeks or so. There was one time when I could not find any RP so I had to use M1. I did notice that when I waited 2 weeks to start my truck with the M1, the lifters would tap for a few seconds. When I use the RP, I have gone 3 weeks before starting it up and no lifter tap in site. Sooooooooooooooooooo, I perfer RP over any other oil I have used.

quote:

Originally posted by Bowser:

quote:

I think a few BITOG'ers have mistakened the BP Castrol logo on the back of the bottle for the API Certification.
wink.gif

It's nothing more than the BP logo.

Bowser

A few, but not I, sir.
First 2 AC bottles have the sunburst on the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back